NEED INFO ABOUT HUNGARIAN GENERALS

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr.

NEED INFO ABOUT HUNGARIAN GENERALS

Post by Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. » 28 Nov 2006, 09:34

Need informations about Hungarian generals who were killed in action, missing in action, or executed by the Germans. (date of birth and death, personal datas)

Anyone who would like to help me thanks in advance!

baron

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 28 Nov 2006, 12:27

baron,

according to my knowledge, there were no MIA Hungarian generals (just POWs) and not a single was executed by the Germans (why would they kill them?)
Comparing with the German or Soviet generals, wery few Hungarian losses occurred (KIA, WIA)
One General killed on a partisan mine (Major General István Makay on 21 June, 1944 near Luniniec from the 1. Cavalry Division) and IIRC another one killed during an air raid in late 1944.

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 02 Dec 2006, 10:38

I have no recording of any Hungarian general KIAs or MIAs either. Neither do I have any information on any one being executed by the Germans.

@Czsaba
I was unaware of the circumstances of Makay's death. Thank you. You wouldn't happen to know his appointment at the time? And if you remember the one killed by an air raid please let me know ;-)

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War II

AJK

Post by AJK » 02 Dec 2006, 17:56

Hi,

In addition to General Makay, also KIA was Major-General vitéz Oszkár Ginszkey (7 March 1944, while commanding 6th Infantry Division). Unfortunately I do not know the circumstances surrounding his death.

Although the Germans did not execute any Hungarian Generals, they arrested a number of them following the 15 October 1944 overthrow of the Horthy regime, and Colonel-General vitéz Lajos Csatay, Minister of Defense, committed suicide (with his wife) while in German captivity.

Regards,

AJK

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 04 Dec 2006, 14:19

AJK,

your sources are wrong. Major General Ginszkey died in a Budapest hospital because of lung cancer on 6 March, 1944, it was not a combat loss.

Steen,

István Makay's car exploded in an anti-tank mine, which was laid by the partisans (he was the only KIA in the car, the others wounded). He was hmm... well, the cavalry commander of the 1. Cavalry Division (similar to the deputy commander, no English equal according to my knowledge)
Vitéz Gelei Makay István vezérőrnagy was born on 4 January, 1891 at Budapest. His body was transported back to Budapest, where he was buried at the Farkasréti cemetery.

Csaba
Last edited by Csaba Becze on 05 Dec 2006, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

AJK

Post by AJK » 04 Dec 2006, 20:14

Hi Csaba,

Thank you very much for clarifying the circumstances of General Ginszkey's death. I will update my files accordingly.

Best wishes,

AJK

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 05 Dec 2006, 10:35

AJK,

You are welcome. So, according to my knowledge, only two KIA Hungarian generals in combat, no more (another one retired general was killed by an air raid as well, but he was not active). Well, I'll ask the expert of the general bios once about the combat losses, maybe he knows more.

Csaba

Post by Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. » 05 Dec 2006, 16:30

Csaba and AJK,

Thanks a lot for giving me these vital informations about the Hungarian Generals! This help will largely contribute on my research about the generals and admirals of different arned forces of thecountries involved in the war.

Once again Thank You very much!

BARON

Post by Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. » 05 Dec 2006, 16:51

AJK,

Can you tell where Colonel-General vitéz Lajos Csatay, Minister of Defense and former CIC of the Armed Forces, committed suicide? In what particular prison or concentration camp?

Yours,
BARON

Post by Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. » 05 Dec 2006, 17:38

AJK,

Can you tell me also waht is the name of CG Csatay's wife? I'm also searching for the captured Hungarian generals.

baron

AJK

Post by AJK » 06 Dec 2006, 03:05

Hi Baron,

If I remember correctly, General Csatay was in detention at the Budapest military hospital/sanatorium when he committed suicide.

His wife's name was Erzsebet Major, born in 1900.

Regards,

AJK

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 06 Dec 2006, 10:56

Baron.waffen,

Csatay was not a classical POW in any way, he committed suicide while he was in the captivity of the Hungarian Arrow Cross movement at the Rudas bath in Budapest.

BTW IMHO if you want to do any serious research, you should try to use official sources, not forum posts;-)

Csaba

Re: Hungarian general

Post by Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. » 09 Dec 2006, 23:46

Good day!

I know one Hungarian general executed by the Germans or it might be the Hungarians. He was Lieutenant Field-Marshal Janos Kiss, the commanding officer of the military sector of the National Committee for Uprising and Liberation. While the battle for Budapest is fast approaching, however, he was arrested and court-martialled then was executed in Nov. 1944.

baron

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 14 Dec 2006, 14:22

baron,

General Kiss was a member of the Hungarian resistance, but he was a retired, not an active general and was executed by the Hungarian Arrow Cross movement, not by the Germans (and in December, not in November, 1944).

Csaba

hungarian generals

Post by Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. » 15 Dec 2006, 11:19

Did anyone know the careers and fates of the ff:

Lieutenant-Field Marshal Ödön Domaniczky
Lieutenant-Field Marshal Sándor Györffy-Bengyel
Lieutenant-Field Marshal Gyula S. Nagy

Yours,

Baron

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”