Hungarian Armour

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Csaba Becze

Hungarian Armour

Post by Csaba Becze » 10 Feb 2007, 10:44

Gentlemen,

since there were some interesting and questions regarding this topic, a short note, that the Hungarian Armour booklet it is out:
http://www.mmpbooks.biz/books/g4101/g4101.htm

Allen Milcic

Post by Allen Milcic » 10 Feb 2007, 20:18

* Off-topic, unsourced posting by Tosun Saral was removed by the Moderator in accordance with the Forum guidelines. *

PanzerKing

Post by PanzerKing » 11 Feb 2007, 22:02

I will buy a copy for sure. I've been wanting this type of book for a very long time. Just about anything Hungarian regarding WW2 is hard to come by in the U.S.

Good job!

Gothard

Post by Gothard » 12 Feb 2007, 02:22

im in for a copy too =)

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 19 Feb 2007, 14:50

Gentlemen,

Well, the publisher informed me, that they made a serious error in the last phase of the DTP and one part of the text went missing (other part was repeated instead).
I really don't know, how it is possible and what should I say...
I am really sorry and please, accept my apologise (altough it was not my fail).

The missing text is available here:
http://www.mmpbooks.biz/books/g4101/Mag ... rratum.pdf

Csaba :(

Alex Yeliseenko

Post by Alex Yeliseenko » 19 Feb 2007, 16:12

Csaba Becze wrote:Gentlemen,

Well, the publisher informed me, that they made a serious error in the last phase of the DTP and one part of the text went missing (other part was repeated instead).
I really don't know, how it is possible and what should I say...
I am really sorry and please, accept my apologise (altough it was not my fail).

The missing text is available here:
http://www.mmpbooks.biz/books/g4101/Mag ... rratum.pdf

Csaba :(
Hi, Csaba Becze.

The publishing house does not accept orders for the book from Russia (through Visa). It is discrimination or a mistake? I know - your fault in it is not present.

Best Regards.

Alex.

Rnox

Post by Rnox » 24 Feb 2007, 02:24

I have some questions to Csaba Becze on his book
The text of your book is very interesting, it's the first time that I read something in english on hungarian armour.
In page 37, you speak about hungarian panther, stug but there are no pictures of these AFV in your book.
In color profiles, there is a sand yellow hetzer with hungarian markings. Do you have picture that could prove that? Profiles should be backed up with actual photos.
On 84 pages, I think that 9 pages scale plans are unnecessary, 15 pages of photoscop of hungarian AFV in museum are not very useful, I can find better pictures on the web!

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 24 Feb 2007, 11:02

Rnox,

Well, regarding the Panthers and Stugs, there are just few available photos about these vehicles and most of them were published already, so to me, it was not necessary to showing them here again (since high percent of the archive photos in the book are unpublished).
Regarding the colur profiles: the Polish artist did them, not me, we had not any contacts, I just met with the final profiles (some are not perfect, you are right). I had a choice just did corrections in the captions. BTW, regarding the Hungarian Hetzers, again very few photos available (most of them were made by Soviet soldiers about destroyed or abandoned vehicles). So, doing profiles in this way is hard.

I just met with the scale plans in the final version as well, not my job again.
Regarding the remained Hungarian AFV pictures - I guess, you mean the Kubinka photos. These were made by a friend of mine, who is a student at the Lomonosow university. He did these photos and I am thankful for that, since I had no cance to visit Kubinka (check the map and the distance between Hungary and Moscow). You are right, maybe some better quality phots available on the web, but you must know, that these are legal things, I do not breach the copyrights and do not download pictures, materials from the web and using them under my name. I published my research, not a copy-paste material.

Rnox

Post by Rnox » 24 Feb 2007, 12:22

You are really nice to answer so quickly.
Perhaps you are right, there are few available photos about panther and stug and they were published already, but in hungarian publication.
I knew only one picture of hungarian panther and 5 pictures of stug, I think there are unknown for lots of people.
Regarding the color profiles, I know a french publication which shows color profiles with actual photos. I can understand that you are not the artist, but if you are not sure of veracity of drawings, you must refuse them.
One day, you will see perhaps in a model-expo a hungarian yellow sand hetzer with hungarian cross, veracity????
I knew for hungarian hetzer, I have only 5 pictures near lake balaton.
I found these pictures but in tiny version on the web.
I think I 'm hard with afv museum pictures, but just the Hungarian vehicles would have been enough, like toldi, nimrod, turan and zrinyi, remainder is not necessary.
I know that your research is very good, but perhaps 2 volumes, the first on the Hungarian tanks armoured and the second on the German tanks under the Hungarian service would be better.
I know that you have a lot of publication in hungary like haditecknica, regiment.... and there are lots of interesting pictures on german afv in hungarian service, but I don't read hungarian.
There is a market on hungarian afv subject.

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 24 Feb 2007, 14:06

Rnox,

The situation with the colour profiles is more complex and problemtaic. You know, if anything appeared, many ppl start to copying it instantly, that why still appears the black painted Hungarian Bf 109 Emil with arrow style national markings, which is a nonsense (in the 70's was made the first, but some ppl till now doing these stuffz), even once in Hungary appeared a fantasy plane in a magazine as a joke, an it was made by a foreign small model maker as a true plane, etc. The situation is a bit similar with the afv's as well.

I am concentrating mostly to the Air Force. I researched deeply the Hungarian 2. Army's history as well, that's why I written an article about the 1. Field-Armoured Division (it was published in Hungary in 1999). I just translated it, but found not any magazines to publish, so I started to expand and research more materials and this is the final version (it was more easy to publish as a book). Unfortunately, the real Hungarian armour experts: Attila Bonhardt, Norbert Számvéber and few others do not publish any materials in English, only in Hungarian language (well, Attila Bonhardt is writing rarely even in Hungarian language, unfortunately). That's why I tought, that this book will be useful for the foreigners (and it contains unpublished details for the Hungarians as well, especially about the 1. Field-Armoured Division).
In the future, I am going back to my beloved pilots and planes;-)

I do hope, that you are not seriously disappointed;-)

See you soon,

Csaba

Rnox

Post by Rnox » 24 Feb 2007, 20:44

I always need a book on hungarian armour in english, because I will never understand hungarian.
I would like to have a nice book with a good text and pictures of stug, hetzer, panther.....
As you say, your book will be useful for the foreigners but we would like to have well published photos like Hungarians in a publication.
I think a good book well illustrated could be a success.

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 26 Feb 2007, 18:29

Rnox wrote:I would like to have a nice book with a good text and pictures of stug, hetzer, panther.....
Believe me or not, not anyone can publish lots of nice, unknown Hungarian StuG, Panther and Hetzer photos, since there are just few available (and I don't know unpublished ones). I guess, you don't understand, what was the situation in Hungary during and after the war, if you are hoping tons of photos. The country was devastated and after the war it was a forbidden topic for decades (most of the surviving materials went to the waste during the communism). The official documents went missing as well, which is much serious loss, than the photos...
I am a historian, not a modeler and altough I love the wartime photos (have 7+ kg WW II pictures), to me, not this is the most important part of the military history, if the other materials were lost as well.

Regards,

Csaba

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 26 Feb 2007, 19:07

If you are interested in good pictures of hungarian equipment & vehicles get the 2 Volumes of Norbert Szamveber/Peter Szabo "A Kelethi Hadszinter es Maygyarorszag" ( my friend told me that will mean "The Hungarians on the Eastern Front" , or so :wink: ) . No , I will never learn this language , but it contains interesting stuff , and with an old hungarian dictionary you may use it :D

Jan-Hendrik

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 26 Feb 2007, 19:16

Yes, the mentioned book has two volumes and contains many nice photos (but doesn't contains unpublished pictures about Panthers or Hetzers, which is Rnox's wish).

BTW the first volume contains a photo about a knocked out Toldi of the 1. Field-Armoured Division as well from summer, 1942 (with the killed crewmembers), but since it was published already, I didn't want to use it again.

You can see the front covers here:
http://www.militaria.hu/hun/kiadvany.ph ... =39&elso=0
http://www.militaria.hu/hun/kiadvany.ph ... =40&elso=0

PanzerKing

Post by PanzerKing » 27 Feb 2007, 07:17

Don't worry about Rnox's silly statements, I'm still going to buy your book.

I don't think he understands how difficult it is to get a book out in the West about Hungary in WW2!

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”