Hungarian Armour

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Rnox

Post by Rnox » 27 Feb 2007, 10:06

Thanks for my"silly statements" Panzerking.
I have just tried to collect a good number of books on the Hungarian subject of armour for several years.
I have
- modell es makett n°2,3,5
- pro modell archiv
- pro modell 2003/1/2/3 on hungarian markings
- Bronekollektsia N3 2005 on Honved
+ books in russian with interestings pics on hungarian armour.
I am just a little bit disappointed, but I try to have constructive comments!
Panzerking you are right, I must live on Mars and I am completely disconnected from the real world :lol:
It is true that in Texas, one must better understand European realities! :wink:
If you read again my comments, I don't like scale plans and photoscop of hungarian AFV in museum to make volume , computer artwork....
But the author research is again really interesting. :)

Alex Yeliseenko

Post by Alex Yeliseenko » 27 Feb 2007, 16:59

Gothard

Post by Gothard » 16 Mar 2007, 04:14

adolpheit

Post by adolpheit » 16 Mar 2007, 09:59

I bought this book and I found it very interesting. Previously I had some informations about Hungarian armour 8this is not my specif field of interest), but it is the first time time that I could read a so detailed report about 1st Field Ar. Div. in 1942
Thanks

Gothard

Post by Gothard » 17 Mar 2007, 01:21

Csaba - what's the big mystery with Straussler ? why did he leave and why weren't the V-3 and V-4 followed up on ? He had such a big success with the Csaba and the V series seem pretty solid to me. What kind of influence did he actually have on the Hungarian design establishment ? How would you rate him against Porsche and Christie ?

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 05 May 2007, 15:22

Finally this Friday I recieved my copy of the booklet. Good job it's very nice. I understand the book is about the Hungarian armor on Don river, it just pity there is no more on page 30 in chapter "Short operational history..." about first clashes of Hungarian armor in 1939 against Czechoslovakia and Slovakia and later against Yugoslavia. Could be interesting reading. Are you or somebody else preparing something in English about it?

On page 44 in table Foreign AFV in Hungarian service are two lines about Captured Czechoslovakian vehicles (1 OA vz. 30 and 2 LT vz 35). It's marked with index 9 which says: These AFVs were captured by the Hungarian troops in the border clashes with Czechoslovak and Slovak troops and were used later as a training vehicles.

Very probably all of this vehicles were captured in Ruthenia (Podkarpatska Rus) from Czechoslovak army. Slovak army lost one OA vz. 30 due to AT near Nizna Rybnica (#13.401, commanded by cat.asp. Ťažár was hit by two shots from 3.7 cm gun, pvt. Klanica was killed).
Other was demaged but able to retreat.

Captured LT vz 35 # 13.903 - captured near Fancikovo - (Podkarpatska Rus)
LT vz. 35 # 13.673 (asumed to be captured on March 24 1939 from Slovaks) (Francev, Kliment also mentioned this in their books, but for example in book Germany First Ally is a lot mistakes.)
OA vz. 30 # 13.326 lost at Ruthenia

LT vz. 35 # 13.673 (asumed to be captured on March 24 1939 from Slovaks). With this vehicle there is little problem - LT vz. 35s were sabotaged by theirs Czech crews and Slovak were not able to repair them till March 24. Column of OA vz. 30 and 3x LT vz. 35 came to Michalovce late evening March 24. Next day were used in reocupation of villages Zavadka, Fetisoviec, Hnojne and Vysne and Nizne Revistia were taken. After that armistice was signed. I was asured by some Slovak historians that there no record about lost of LT vz. 35. So maybe if Hungarian archives would turn out exact places where tank LT vz. 35 # 13.673, it should bring some light into the event.

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 07 May 2007, 09:55

KACKO,

the OA vz.30, which was used by the Hungarians as a training vehicle, was captured not in March, but in January, 1939 (it was a clash near Munkács with the Czechoslovakian troops on 6 January, 1939 and that particular armoured car was captured undamaged)

My Baptism of fire project contains some other details as well about the border clashes (and I have many other materials too for the future in a large scale material, but ATM I am concentrating to my air force materials)

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 07 May 2007, 14:44

Sorry about OA vz. 30. I should mention date for each vehicle and not speak generaly about march clashes. I was just more concerned about LT vz. 35. It would be really interesting to know how and where exactly was captured vehicle LT vz. 35 # 13.673 (asumed to be captured on March 24 1939 from Slovaks).

Can't wait for your Baptism of Fire. Unfortunately I think it was suppose to go out for sale before X-mas and know they again moved it. Hopefully I will be able get two copies - one for my friend Boris S. ;)

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”