Operation Margarethe

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Lupo Solitario

Operation Margarethe

Post by Lupo Solitario » 28 Aug 2009, 11:54

I'm looking for a good description of Operation Margarethe in 1944...May you suggest a good website or book (in english, logically)?

Thanks

Danubia
Banned

Re: Operation Margarethe

Post by Danubia » 28 Aug 2009, 16:21

Lupo Solitario wrote:I'm looking for a good description of Operation Margarethe in 1944...May you suggest a good website or book (in english, logically)?

Thanks
Hi ! After the Battle did an excellent magazine covering this event,operations panzerfaust followed by Margarethe.

Look for edition number 40,printed in 1983, but still available to order via www.afterthebattle.com

I have several other books,but all in Hungarian.
Hope this helps

Danubia
Banned

Post by Danubia » 28 Aug 2009, 16:34

Stupid me ! I forgot a classic book----Hungary 1944-45 The forgotten tragedy. by Perry Pierik 1996
The photo reproductions are poor quality in the English language paper back edition,but he covers all the relevant topics relating to Hungary in WW2 and especially the last two years. Skip over the jewish part and you will find lots of info here.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 28 Aug 2009, 19:28

Hi Lupo,

Try Axis Europa books for a first rate history in English of the Hungarian Army in WWII (by Niehorster?). It is arguably the best thing produced by them.

The Margarethe section is limited and doesn't get the German OB quite right, but from it you can build a good picture of the Hungarian situation.

Otherwise, I don't think there is a genuinely good book covering the military aspects of the subject. If you come across a PanzerLehr history you might find a little on its participation, but generally this, the division's first active operation, is overlooked due to the lack of sexy combat.

Cheers,

Sid.

CNE503

Post by CNE503 » 29 Jul 2017, 13:50

Hello,

I dig up this old thread because I'm looking for basic data concerning Panzer-Lehr-Division involvement in "Margarethe".
Has someone a basic calendar of the divisional operations in Hungary (when did it come in Hungary? Where? How many time did it stay there? etc.).

Thank you for your help!
Cheers,

CNE503
"Sicut Aquila" / "Ils s'instruisent pour vaincre" / "par l'exemple, le coeur et la raison" / "Labor Omnia Vincit"

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”