czechs-slovaks in italy 1944?

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Lupo Solitario

czechs-slovaks in italy 1944?

Post by Lupo Solitario » 26 Sep 2009 13:44

Hi

I' ve recently found a note about a group of "czech-slovak" battalions which had been sent in northern italy in summer 1944 to fight against partisans.
Do you have any idea about what could those units have been?

Any hint is appreciated

thanks

Lupo

Pavel Novak

Re: czechs-slovaks in italy 1944?

Post by Pavel Novak » 27 Sep 2009 23:59

Hallo
After creation of Protectorate Bohemia and Moravia Germans allowed creation of several sentry battalions formed from rest of czechoslovak army and named Goverment Army. In 1944 were Germans suspicious that these units would rebel against them so they decided to sent them to Italy. Their task there was to sentry important places against partisian attacks but because their inefficiency (one battalion practically ceased to exist because most of its men deserted to partysans) they were after few months disarmed and than used as work units. Protectorate unist which left in Bohemia and Moravia than joined uprising in 1945 (including its highest military commanders).

Germans sent to Italy also some captured men from Slovak Eastern Army which was eliminated during Slovak National Uprising. They were used as unarmed work units.

After Allies conquered area czech and slovak soldiers were united in czechoslovak brigade in Italy on allied side.

Regards
PN

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 30 Sep 2009 14:39

For Slovaks:
2nd Technical Division (in Italy)
Inf Battalions I/101, II/101, III/101
Inf Battalions I/102, II/102, III/102
Pioneer Batt. 12th
Signal Company

Mostly used for fortification works, repair of railways and security duty. After Uprising in Slovakia Germans looked more suspicious on Slovaks.
A lot of desertion to Italian/ partisan side occured. At the end 1st Czechoslovak Divison in Italy was made up from Slovak 2nd Technical division.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio » 11 Mar 2010 19:52

Hello, Lupo
I recently met an elderly merchant who told me that in 1944 a very small group of Czechoslovakian soldiers was quartered just in front of his shop on the outskirts of Pisa; they were assigned to a horsedrawn artillery units.
If you want to know (few) more, please send me a PM.
Greetings
Giorgio

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 15 Mar 2010 18:31

Giorgio wrote:Hello, Lupo
I recently met an elderly merchant who told me that in 1944 a very small group of Czechoslovakian soldiers was quartered just in front of his shop on the outskirts of Pisa; they were assigned to a horsedrawn artillery units.
If you want to know (few) more, please send me a PM.
Greetings
Giorgio
If it was in 1944 I would believe it could be some Slovak unit as Czech units didn't have heavy equipment.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio » 15 Mar 2010 19:08

It'spossible. The person I am talking about is old and for a long time Italians have often mixed up Czechs with Slovaks.
Giorgio

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 16 Mar 2010 12:56

Giorgio wrote:It'spossible. The person I am talking about is old and for a long time Italians have often mixed up Czechs with Slovaks.
Giorgio
Understand, it is easy to mix as up even now. :D
BTW Around 600-700 deserters from Slovak division in Italy joined to Italian partisans.

Post by 1900 » 21 Mar 2010 19:00

... and it was possible beceause main Slovak HQ was sending to Italy officers, who already colaborated with partisans in Ukraine /in most cases they kept colaborating even for year or two but never went to other side :lol: / and Germans knew about them. Another interesting info: commanding officer was lieutenant colonel Kmickievec with polish sounding name but of russian nationality. Division even half - officialy supported some italian opera stars with army provisions :)

And not to forget - bigger part of division later retreated with Germans.

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 03 May 2016 09:52

Can anyone recommend any (preferably online) source on these units in Italy?

I already have:
1) Vaclav Štefansky: Slovenski vojaci v Taliansku 1943-1945
2) Slovensko a druga svetovna vojna: Zbornik prispevkov

Regards,
Klemen

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 10 May 2016 15:47

K.Kocjancic wrote:Can anyone recommend any (preferably online) source on these units in Italy?

I already have:
1) Vaclav Štefansky: Slovenski vojaci v Taliansku 1943-1945
2) Slovensko a druga svetovna vojna: Zbornik prispevkov

Regards,
Klemen
I think Stefanky's monography is one of few works concentrating on Slovak Army in Italy. There was article here article there published but very little otherwise,

At least something:
Slovenski vojaci na talianskom fronte

http://www.slovenskyportal.sk/index.php ... 43-1945%29

Photos from private collection. Slovak army in Italy. Really fascinating.:
http://www.feldgrau.sk/clanky_detail.ph ... _Taliansku

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 10 May 2016 16:03

KACKO wrote: I think Stefanky's monography is one of few works concentrating on Slovak Army in Italy. There was article here article there published but very little otherwise,

At least something:
Slovenski vojaci na talianskom fronte

http://www.slovenskyportal.sk/index.php ... 43-1945%29

Photos from private collection. Slovak army in Italy. Really fascinating.:
http://www.feldgrau.sk/clanky_detail.ph ... _Taliansku
Thanks!

Regards,
Klemen

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 11 May 2016 18:46

Hi Guys,

The Czechs and Slovaks were present in Italy separately.

In late 1943 the two Slovak divisions on the Eastern Front were proving increasingly unreliable in combat. The Germans therefore had their heavy weaponry repatriated and they were turned into construction brigades.

2nd Construction Brigade was formed from the Slovak Security Division and was sent to Italy, where its men could not converse with the locals as easily as in the East. It served successively in construction on the various German lines north of Cassino.

The Protectorate of Bohemia-Moravia was allowed to keep a token army of ten Czech infantry battalions. These were also regarded as increasingly unreliable by the Germans, so nine battalions, equipped only with small arms, were sent to Italy in 1944 also to work on construction. The tenth was retained in Prague for ceremonial duties.

Neither the Slovaks nor the Czechs were employed on anti-partisan operations, but both did come under occasional partisan attack and both suffered a few losses to Allied bombing. In the last months of the war both Slovaks and Czechs deserted in increasing numbers into Switzerland and many of them went on to join the Czechoslovak Brigade that had been raised by the British.

Cheers,

Sid.

Leo86

Post by Leo86 » 19 Sep 2019 06:50

Hi to everybody! I know there is a video made by (czech tv?) that show Carlo Barbieri "Ciro" an italian partisan talking (made in 1967) about some czech soldiers that fought in Italy, near Pavia, for the resistance. Somebody knows somethings about it? Thanks!!!

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”