Photo of a group of rag-tag soldiers. Hungarians?

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
DenesBernad

Photo of a group of rag-tag soldiers. Hungarians?

Post by DenesBernad » 24 Apr 2003, 17:51

I have an original photo showing a group of rag-tag soldiers. I have the impression that they are Hungarians, but I am not sure:
Here is an enlargement of the arm patch:

Notice the three-coloured armband and black, triangular emblem on their sleeve, with the letters FKV (?) on the bottom.
Any further info would be welcome.

Dénes

P.S. If the photo does not show up, check it out on the 'Unknown & Quiz' page from my web site:
http://pages.sprint.ca/denes/Unknown_Quiz.html
Last edited by DenesBernad on 04 May 2003, 19:55, edited 2 times in total.

Octavianus

Rag-Tag soldiers

Post by Octavianus » 24 Apr 2003, 18:02

Ave Denes,

Possible to see a complete photograph with faces of these men? Also can you zoom both armshields?

Gratiam,

Octavianus

DenesBernad

Photo details

Post by DenesBernad » 24 Apr 2003, 18:12

Ave Octavianus, morituri te salutant!

The top scan shows the complete photo, no cropping. I think you can clearly see the men's faces.
On the bottom scan both the tri-coloured armband (on left sleeve) and triangular patch (on right sleeve) are shown.
I don't have the original photo here with me, so I cannot post a new scan for now.

Dénes

Octavianus

Post by Octavianus » 24 Apr 2003, 18:32

Ave Denes,
Ave Octavianus, morituri te salutant!
HE, HE, HE, HE, HE.... I'm not dead yet, Denes! Nor I'm not walking into it. Yeah, right, who am I fooling here.... hehehe :wink:
The top scan shows the complete photo, no cropping. I think you can clearly see the men's faces.
Actually what I would like to see here is their head gear and insignias on them.
On the bottom scan both the tri-coloured armband (on left sleeve) and triangular patch (on right sleeve) are shown.
Hm, I have a weird feeling like I have already seen somwhere the armshield on the left!
I don't have the original photo here with me, so I cannot post a new scan for now.
Can you obtain it and posted it here? It would help me a lot.

Gratiam,

Octavianus

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 24 Apr 2003, 19:49

Dénes:

I tought this topic: Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia when I mentioned this forum. Perhaps some uniform and insignia expert can help you (I have no idea at the moment)

Csaba

Stauffenberg II

Post by Stauffenberg II » 03 May 2003, 19:33

I can´t be sure but I think the building in the background (left) is the office of the Bundeskanzler (chancellor) of the Republic of Austria in Wien (Vienna), Austria. The building in the background (right) is part of the Royal Castle (Hofburg). Today this part is the office of the Bundespräsident (President).

If I´m right the men are standing at the "Heldenplatz" (Place of Heroes).

Regards,
Stauffenberg II

Sokol

Post by Sokol » 03 May 2003, 19:52

Regarding "Ave Octavianus, morituri te salutant!"

Does this mean: "Hail Octavianus, those who are about to die salute you!"?

I don't know Latin at all, I'm basically just guessing from the phonetics. I think the gladiators used that greeting when saluting the Emperor. Am I close?

Regards,
Sokol

Octavianus

photo

Post by Octavianus » 04 May 2003, 02:21

Ave amici,
I can´t be sure but I think the building in the background (left) is the office of the Bundeskanzler (chancellor) of the Republic of Austria in Wien (Vienna), Austria. The building in the background (right) is part of the Royal Castle (Hofburg). Today this part is the office of the Bundespräsident (President).
Stauffenberg, where do you see any of the mentioned buildings on the photograph??? :roll:

Well, I am not much of an expert in WWI uniforms, but one thing I am sure. Considering the armband these have to be either Austria or Hungarian uniforms. Dénes, do I have your permission to send this photo to some of my friends, who are much more educated when it comes to World War I uniforms?
Does this mean: "Hail Octavianus, those who are about to die salute you!"?
Yes, that's correct, Sokol. The translation is perfect. :D And yes once again. This salute was used by the gladiators to salute the Emperor before they went into the arena and died.

Gratiam,

Octavianus

DenesBernad

About the photo

Post by DenesBernad » 04 May 2003, 04:24

To Stauffenberg II: thank you for your input. Originally, I thought they are Hungarian soldiers because of the tri-colour armband they wore and the source the photo came from. However, you may very well be right, these are not Hungarian, but rather Austrian paramilitary men. If this is the case, the three letters on the black armband could have a different meaning: Freie (?), Korps (?), Volk (?). Any idea?

To Octavianus: of course, you may send the photos to anyone you think could help us solving this little mystery. However, let me point out that the photo was taken not during W.W.1-era, but rather duringt he next (and hopefully last) world conflagration...

To all: can you see the 2 scans on the page? It appears that the link somehow broke the past days...

Dénes

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 04 May 2003, 14:13

I don't see the photos. :(

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”