Antonescu was there several?

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Antonescu was there several?

Post by Jeff Leach » 01 Apr 2014 09:20

I have been reading the records of the 11th Army during the early phases of Barbarossa. There are many references to Marshall Antonescu but there are also many references to a Army General Antonescu. It is often that these references are in the same paragraf.

Where there two Antonescu? If so who where they.

Steen Ammentorp

Re: Antonescu was there several?

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 01 Apr 2014 09:27

Hi,

At the time there were to my knowlegde no other generals by the name Antonescu, than Marshal Ion Antonescu. Later there were two other generals by the name Antonescu.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

Victor

Post by Victor » 05 Apr 2014 17:10

Jeff Leach wrote:I have been reading the records of the 11th Army during the early phases of Barbarossa. There are many references to Marshall Antonescu but there are also many references to a Army General Antonescu. It is often that these references are in the same paragraf.

The confusion is owed to the fact that Antonescu was promoted to the rank of marshal in teh first months of Barbarossa. Thus he was an army general in the first 2 months and a marshal afterwards.

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 06 Apr 2014 07:15

Here is a sample paragraph of the problem:

"Auf Wunsch Marschall Antonescu soll rum. Pz.Div. nach Norden in den Raum südwestl Tg. Frumos vorgezogen und der 11. Armee unterstellt werden. Hierbei besonders Marschschwierigkeiten infolge der zerstörten Brücken nördl. Focsani. Armeegeneral Antonescu hält Zuteilung eines erfahrenen deutschen Verbindungsoffz. an Div. für zweckmässig. (Dem Wunsch Armeegenerals Antonescu wird entsprochen, Pz. Div. zugeführt und ünterstellt.)"

[NARA T311 R355 Fr861] - the war diary of AOK 11.

It can easily be that Ion Antonescu had several rolls with different responsibilities and titles but it is also easy to see how you can become confused.

Helen Shapira

Post by Helen Shapira » 24 Jul 2014 04:26

Yes there was Mihai Antonescu the Foreign Minister and Ion Antonescu the marshal
http://www.historia.ro/exclusiv_web/gen ... t-1944-ssi

georgica

Post by georgica » 07 Jan 2017 03:01

Ion Antonescu and His Brother Mihai

georgica

Post by georgica » 08 Jan 2017 15:50

Victor wrote:
Jeff Leach wrote:I have been reading the records of the 11th Army during the early phases of Barbarossa. There are many references to Marshall Antonescu but there are also many references to a Army General Antonescu. It is often that these references are in the same paragraf.

The confusion is owed to the fact that Antonescu was promoted to the rank of marshal in teh first months of Barbarossa. Thus he was an army general in the first 2 months and a marshal afterwards.

To my knowledge , Ion Antonescu being general has promoted himself with Maresal title . Nobody gave him that title . I love Him for his role in leading against Communism and Jews influance in Romania. Regele Mihai did not ..
Remember also Musolini declared himself Duce...

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 06 Mar 2017 11:41

General/Marshal Antonescu was not related to his Foreign Minister, Mihai Antonescu. This is an error perpetuated in even the best books such as Third Axis, Fourth Ally.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”