Hungarian Generals photos

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Orok

Post by Orok » 31 Oct 2003, 22:50

Thanks Roderick,

I am not an expert on Horthy, but I personally believe he was not a coward, and he was unwaveringly anti-nazi. He was more the old school, right wing, nationalistic, staunchly anti-Bolshvic and mildly anti-semitic type of politician you could find in multitude in post World War I Europe.

I think he was not "undecided" on the issue of pro- or anti-nazi (Germany would be a more appropriate word here). Classifying him as either pro- or anti-nazi would be an over-simplification of a complex historical period and personality.

Hungary as it stood between the two world wars was devastated by the WWI, the Trianon, the Kun Communist Red Terror, and subsequently thoroughly looted by Rumanian Army at the instigation of France. The popular sentiment of the Hungarian people at that time was a paradoxical "we want our lost territory back, but we cannot afford to be involved in another war!"

So Horthy had to play intricate balancing diplomacy here. Before the annexation of Austria he carefully played Musollini to restrain Hitler, with some success. After Italy's disastrous North Africa adventure and its subsequent alliance with Germany, Hungary knew he has to ally with Hitler too, otherwise he could not be able to take back Transylvania from Rumania.

Hungary had always been Germany's most reluctant ally, it is the twisted fate of history that made it the only axis country to fight on the German side until the very end. This history is too complicated for me to explain it clearly in a few paragraphs here, it is also off topic in this thread. Suffice it to say that Horthy never believed that the Germans could win the war, and did a lot under table to negotiate with the Allies in order to save Hungary. On the other hand he obviously could not openly defy too much of Hitler's will, that would not be brave, but only be idiotic and foolhardy, and be irresponsible to the Hungarian people under his leadership.

The above is only my 2 cents, and other people would have some totally opposite opinion. That would be fine except this discussion here is of topic. So I suggest if you really want to know more or to hear other people's informed opinion, you should start a separate topic in a proper section of this forum.

Thank you and My Best Regards!

Roderick

Post by Roderick » 31 Oct 2003, 23:19

I thank you Orok.

AlifRafikKhan

Re: Hungarian Generals photos

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 18 Sep 2009, 14:12

Germany journey of the Reichsverweser Miklos Horthy...

Source : http://www.sammlermarkt-nord.net/shop/s ... ts_id=5054
Attachments
Horthy.jpg
Horthy.jpg (40.3 KiB) Viewed 1224 times

Géza Árbocz

Post by Géza Árbocz » 20 Sep 2009, 00:55

Dear Roderick,
I think that the expression coward can not be applied to someone who was in a very difficult position at the time that Alm. Horthy was in charge to rule the destiny of Hungary.
You can be right that he was not able to decide early to leave the join effort whith Germany, but I have no elements to be more specific on my judgement.
To be able to maje judgement of persons at that difficult time I presume one should be expert on the biography of the person in question.
Please have in mind, that Hungary was the country who suffered the largest loose in terms of his territory as the result of the WW I, and at the time the WWII started, the dream to recover the lost land was a very strong feeling in the heart of most Hungarians.
By the way, I leave also in Brazil, more precisely in Holambra at the state of Sao Paulo, I'm at your disposal to explore more subject about Hungary, as I am Hungarian born in 1944.
Cordially, Geza Arbocz (in our western form)

hadbiro

Post by hadbiro » 03 Nov 2009, 20:48

Awesome tableau of Hungarian generals, AJK!

Thanks & congrats!
I am interested in any militaria items in connection with military jurisdiction...

AJK

Post by AJK » 04 Nov 2009, 00:15

Thanks very much hadbiro! I have quite a few more photos since I uploaded the ones you see - I just have to find the time to upload them...

Best wishes,

AJK

VJK

Post by VJK » 26 Nov 2009, 15:23

Hi!

Can anyone please name this naval officer.
Source: http://www.mkfh.hu/keressuk_szoveg.html

Best regards,

VJK
Attachments
Hungarian Admiral.jpg
Hungarian Admiral.jpg (27.49 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Hungarian Admiral1.jpg
Hungarian Admiral1.jpg (33.01 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

hadbiro

Post by hadbiro » 03 Dec 2009, 23:46

I don't know the name of the gentleman, but he's not naval, but a colonel of Royal Hungarian Air Force.
Someone will tell you his name soon, the medals and awards tell me he HAD a name! (with 'vitéz' in the beginning)
I am interested in any militaria items in connection with military jurisdiction...

VJK

Post by VJK » 05 Dec 2009, 12:44

Many thanks for putting me straight on the rank.

Best regards,

VJK

Alexderome

Post by Alexderome » 02 Feb 2010, 23:50

Has anybody some pictures from Ivan Hindy or Laszlo Vannay ?
Thanks a lot
http://hongrie2gm.creer-forums-gratuit.fr/forum.htm
Eravamo 30 d'una sorte, 31 con la morte (Gabriele d'Annunzio).

AJK

Post by AJK » 03 Feb 2010, 01:53

Hi,

This is not a very good photo, but better than nothing.

Regards,

AJK
Attachments
Vezds. Hindy.jpg
Vezds. Hindy.jpg (14.76 KiB) Viewed 1109 times

quacknoodle

Post by quacknoodle » 03 Feb 2010, 04:47

Here is an internet photo of Andras Littay. Not a lot has been available in English about his career.

Cheers
George

http://www.generals.dk/general/Littay/A ... ngary.html

Godhateswar

Post by Godhateswar » 20 Feb 2010, 15:21

László Vannay, Commander of the "Scrubby or Ragged Guards"

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”