8th Romanian Cavalary Regiment

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
mjölnir

8th Romanian Cavalary Regiment

Post by mjölnir » 05 May 2015, 08:35

Who have informations about the 8th Romanian Cavalary Regiment in WW II? I search this informations because my Grandfather had to give his horses to this regiment after the resettlement of the Germans from Bessarabia on October 5th, 1940, in Galatz.
Thanks.
mjölnir

Sid Guttridge

Re: 8th Romanian Cavalary Regiment

Post by Sid Guttridge » 05 May 2015, 13:16

Hi mjölnir,

You might do best trying The Romanian Military History Forum, which is similar to AHF:

http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/

Cheers,

Sid.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 06 May 2015, 13:00

Hi mjolnir,

8th Cavalry Regiment was a former Hussar (Rosiori) unit.

From 1941-44 it was part of 5th Cavalry Division. This formation was continuously in the field throughout 1941-42, in Basarabia (Moldova), the southern Ukraine, Nogai Steppe, Sea of Azov, the Kuban Peninsula, to the Black Sea at Anapa and Novorosiisk, and finally south of Stalingrad, where it was virtually annihilated while acting as flank guard to the failed German relief effort in late December 1942.

The only specific reference I can find to 8th Cvalry Regiment, rather than 5th Cavalry Division as a whole, is on p.81 of Third Axis, Fourth Ally:

"The advance from Rostov on 5 August was led by 5th Cavalry Division. Its 8th Rosiori Regiment was detached to clear the ports of Jeisk (9 August) and Primorsko-Akhtarsk (11 August). Althought well entrenched, the 4,000 Soviet marine defenders were evacuated by the Soviet Sea of Azov Flotilla to Temriuk, because the deep advance of the rest of 5th Cavalry Division threatened their supply bases. By the time it returned to the division on 15 August, 8th Rosiori had ridden 800 kilometres."

So, assuming they were not lost earlier, your grandfather's horses were probably lost south-west of Stalingrad in December 1942, after 18 months of hard riding.

Cheers,

Sid.

mjölnir

Post by mjölnir » 11 May 2015, 12:45

Thanks for these informations. It's curious: The horses of my Grandfather were lost south-west of Stalingrad and his nephew in Stalingrad.
Thanks all.
mjölnir

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”