Hungarian Army Records

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Tengerészgyalogos

Hungarian Army Records

Post by Tengerészgyalogos » 06 Jul 2016, 19:57

Dear Friends,
I may have posted this years ago. I'm currently in Budapest. We have a relative who served in the Hunyadi Armored Division. I'm trying to find info about him. So, if I go to the Military History Institute in the Castle district they can help me? Would they send me his service records? My questions are; Is there a website or a blog in German or Hungarian languages that might help? This man didn't go to the military academy, but he was some kind of engineer. We know that he wasn't in a front line, combat arms unit. My mother in law isn't sure, whether he was an NCO or a comisioned officer. Would a university graduate be an officer? Weren't there 2 Hungarian SS Armored divisions formed at the end of the war and two infantry divisions? I'm grateful for any help. Maybe someone can contact me by private email.
Yours,
Eric
PS--I'm having problems logging in, again. Can someone help me?

Janos Zoltay

Re: Hungarian Army Records

Post by Janos Zoltay » 15 Jul 2016, 00:24

Hadtörténeti Intézet és Múzeum Központi Irattár
1076 Budapest, Verseny u. 12. Hungary
This is the address to write to if you require information on family members who where in the Hungarian armed services in WW2. Please write in Hungarian to them. Google translate isnt bad. It might take a while to get a reply.
I think you have to book a visit to the archives (I know I did). I don't think it is possible just to turn up at the door.

Tengerészgyalogos

Post by Tengerészgyalogos » 15 Jul 2016, 13:02

Hi Janos,
Thanks for the help. We are in Bp now. I speak decent Hungarian and went up to the Hadtortenti. They will send us the info in about two weeks. I spoke to man there, he said that those soldiers who left Hungary may not have records. These records may have been destroyed. He also said, I would get a Soldier's Paper(Katonai lap).
Thanks!

Janos Zoltay

Post by Janos Zoltay » 15 Jul 2016, 20:09

Glad to hear that you had some good luck with the museum. I collect information on the Hunyadi and Hungaria divisions. If you get any information could you contact me??

Tengerészgyalogos

Post by Tengerészgyalogos » 21 Jul 2016, 13:09

Hi Janos! Sorry for the late answer, but I'm having problems logging in. Can some one help me to change my log in and password? I will share the info I get. It's coming to my mother law. My brother in law has a wedding picture from the war, don't know what year. I have to take a high def picture.
Yours,
T

prdubi

Post by prdubi » 09 Aug 2016, 22:12

Not to give bad news but I was at that place and I reside in Budapest also for the moment.

They have stated many times that 80 percent of the records of WWII were destroyed.

Tengerészgyalogos

Post by Tengerészgyalogos » 12 Aug 2016, 01:17

Can you send me a private email? I got notification from the Hadtortenti Intezet. No luck, they couldn't find any records.

Janos Zoltay

Post by Janos Zoltay » 12 Aug 2016, 23:07

There are some lists in the archives for "Hungaria" but they are not complete and are only small lists of people in a certain section e.g. artillery, officers etc. I have seen these. I am not sure if any exist for "Hunyadi"
http://hunyadi.co.uk/page12.php

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”