U.S. Soldiers in Belgium (1st US Army): Staying in Private Homes

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
salmone

U.S. Soldiers in Belgium (1st US Army): Staying in Private Homes

Post by salmone » 29 Nov 2016, 05:49

I'm currently researching my grandfathers unit and his travels through Europe during WWII. In one of his letters, he referenced staying with Belgian families in there private homes while he was on leave.

Does anyone know about these types of leaves or know where I might find out more? Typical book searches and google searches have resulted in little information.

One post I ran across, referenced Belgian's picking up service men at train stations and sharing there homes with them. Seams a little sketchy.

Poot

Re: U.S. Soldiers in Belgium (1st US Army): Staying in Private Homes

Post by Poot » 29 Nov 2016, 18:03

salmone wrote:One post I ran across, referenced Belgian's picking up service men at train stations and sharing there homes with them. Seams a little sketchy.
Sketchy by today's standards, but not then.
A number of relatives on my Mother's side would make sure to send a couple of their children over to bus terminals and other areas in San Francisco, California during the war on holidays to make sure that uniformed service members had a home to visit and celebrate in for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. A motivated, mobilized nation at war takes care of it's Warriors, and that kind of expression by Belgian civilians is not only unsurprising but entirely consistent with the actions of a liberated people.

Pat
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”