Rear-Admiral Kalman Hardy (Hungarian navy)

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
mfy4444

Rear-Admiral Kalman Hardy (Hungarian navy)

Postby mfy4444 » 20 Jul 2017 15:04

Another question. Rear-Admiral Kalman Hardy headed the Hungarian Naval Inspectorate-- which made him essentially commander of Hungary's small naval forces-- from May 1, 1942 until October 15, 1944, when he was arrested along with his staff for supporting Admiral Horthy at the time of the German coup that deposed Horthy and installed the Arrow Cross government of Szalasi (replaced by Rear-Admiral Odon Trunkwalter). Leo Niehorster, in "The Royal Hungarian Army 1920-1945" (the best source I have yet encountered in English on the topic of the Hungarian military in World War II), goes on to say that Hardy was the only Hungarian officer condemned to death by the Germans for his part in resisting the coup, but that American troops liberated Mauthausen concentration camp where he was being held before the sentence was carried out.

My question regards Hardy's background. Looking at the index in Niehorster's book, there are five references to Hardy. The first two are to a "Col. Dr. Kalman Hardy," first as military attache to Sweden in 1938, then as commander of the Army's 26th Light Division from summer 1941 through April 1942. Can anyone confirm that this is the same person? In other words, was Hardy an Army officer until vested with the Naval Inspectorate in May '42? (and then presumably given a naval rank commensurate with the job?) This would seem natural given the small size of Hungarian naval forces, they would have just been a portion of the Army concerned with riverine war. Also noted that the Finns did something similar, the commander of their Naval Defense forces during and before World War II Vaino Valve was a general, not an admiral, who had come up through the coast defense artillery (as the Finns, though having a bigger Navy than the Hungarians, basically considered the Navy an offshore component of their coast defenses). So I assume that the same Kalman Hardy who was an Army officer and a division commander took over the naval forces in May 1942 (the dates of his leaving the command of 26th Light Division and taking over the Naval Inspectorate match up perfectly, so I doubt this is a coincidence with two different men of the same name!), at which time he was given an equivalent naval rank and/or small promotion (as Rear-Admiral is roughly the same grade as Army Colonel or Brigadier-General).

If anyone can shed further light on this, or confirm that the same Kalman Hardy was the Army officer and the naval commander, I would be very appreciative.

Regards and thanks

Mike Yaklich

VJK

Re: Rear-Admiral Kalman Hardy (Hungarian navy)

Postby VJK » 26 Jul 2017 13:26

Hi,

It is the same man. This is what I have, courtesy of military historian Andris J. Kursietis, who has also published a number of great books on the Hungarian Army.

Captain-General of River Forces vitéz Dr. Kálmán nemes Hardy (5 May 1892 - 21 Jun 1980)
1 Aug 1941 - 17 Feb 1942: C.O. 26. Infantry Brigade
17 Feb 1942 - 1 Apr 1942: C.O. 26. Light Infantry Division
(30 Mar 1942: Promoted to Major-General of River Forces)
1 May 1942 - 16 Oct 1944: Commander-in-Chief of the River Forces, Inspector of River Forces
(1 Jan 1944: Promoted to Captain-General of River Forces)
(1992: Promoted to Colonel-General, posthumously)

Best regards,

VJK

VJK

Re: Rear-Admiral Kalman Hardy (Hungarian navy)

Postby VJK » 29 Aug 2017 13:28

Your welcome!

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”