Magyar-English translation help?

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
mfy4444

Magyar-English translation help?

Post by mfy4444 » 07 Sep 2017, 23:43

Hello. Sorry to bother this forum, but I am stuck trying to find out information about an event in 1926 in which an incident occurred between the prominent Jewish Hungarian politican Vilmos Vazsonyi and two of the former "Szeged men," one of whom was Laszlo Vannay, who later led the Arrow Cross Vannay Assault Battalion in the defense of Budapest. The incident occurred in February, Vazsonyi (who had a heart problem) died in a sanitorium in Baden, Austria at the start of June. Some claimed at the time that the confrontation was an assassination attempt (Vannay and his companion, Ferenc Molnar, were found to be carrying a revolver and an iron rod), although it is not clear to me that Vazsonyi was actually struck. Kristjan Ungvary says in "Battle for Budapest" that Vannay "caused a stir when he had insulted the liberal-democratic politician Vilmos Vazsonyi in the street, and narrowly missed hitting him in the face." Examples of the contemporary Jewish press at the time claimed that Vazsonyi was actually badly beaten, and died as a result of his injuries from this attack. I suspect the truth may lie somewhere in between. Apparently after a (much-delayed) trial Vannay was fined 48 pengos, and Molnar sentenced to three days in jail plus a fine.

Anyway, I found this online and hoped if I could get a good English translation (better than the built-in translator at the site) it might shed some light.
So if any Magyar speakers on the forum could give me a good translation, or explanation of what is being said in their own words, I would greatly appreciate it. Here is the sentence:

"Vazsonyi csupan konnyebb fejseruleseket szenvendett, de a kronikus szivbetegseget sulyosbito izgalmak miatt hamarosan Badenbe utazott gyogykezelesre, ahol majus 29-en-- a frankugy birosagi targyalasa idejen-- meghalt." Sorry my keyboard does not have the Magyar characters.

Wikipedia says Vazsonyi died June 1, not May 29...

Of course, if anyone wishes to tell me more about this incident, I would be very happy!

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards

Mike Yaklich

GregSingh

Re: Magyar-English translation help?

Post by GregSingh » 09 Sep 2017, 09:07

I quickly scrolled through several newspapers and it seems he was only "leicht verletzt" (slightly injured) in the attack.

He died on Saturday at 7am, so it was 29th of May.
Again I haven't got time to carefully read all available articles, but I couldn't really see anyone suggesting his death had anything to do with an attack three months earlier. He died of a heart attack.

As per translation, some of the words seem to be misspelled, so it is hard to get a correct meaning. Any chance to attach an original?

If you interested I can attach some articles later. All in fraktur German, I'm afraid...

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 10 Sep 2017, 09:46

It could be something like this:

Vázsonyi csupán könnyebb fejsérüléseket szenvedett, de a krónikus szívbetegségét súlyosbító izgalmak miatt hamarosan Badenbe utazott gyógykezelésre, ahol május 29-én – a frankügy bírósági tárgyalása idején – meghalt.

Vázsonyi only suffered light head injuries, but because of the exacerbating chronic heart disease, he soon went to Baden for medical treatment, where on May 29th - at the time of court hearing of (fake French) francs case - he died.

That confirms narrative from articles I mentioned in previous post that he was only slightly injured in the attack.

mfy4444

Post by mfy4444 » 11 Sep 2017, 20:44

To GregSingh: thanks a lot, that clears things up a bit and confirms what I suspected.

Regards

Mike Yaklich

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”