Hungarian mystery uniforms

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
B Hellqvist

Hungarian mystery uniforms

Post by B Hellqvist » 18 Sep 2017, 15:51

I have just obtained this photo with some Hungarians and Germans. The Germans are wearing the three-buckle laced boots, which indicates that they probably aren't serving in a frontline unit. The Hungarian sergeant in the center has a curious blend of uniform insigina: Hungarian collar patches, German breast eagle, German cap eagle and some kind of bird between the cap buttons. There's also a badge on the side of the cap. The Hungarian privates wear the same caps, but their uniforms have plain collar patches and no eagles. Any idea who they might be?
Attachments
hungarians.jpg

Dany7919

Re: Hungarian mystery uniforms

Post by Dany7919 » 21 Sep 2017, 07:43

Well I might be completely wrong but can't they be volunteers? I remeber reading one memoirs where german soldier has recalled seeing hungarian soldiers with this wierd mixup of uniforms in Berlin. I think that he was talking about Waffen-SS volunteers, but since they had lack of uniforms, they gave them Wehrmacht ones, or just let them keep theirs with german patches. I would not put my hand into fire for this theory, but it might be the same case.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 21 Sep 2017, 09:00

None of them are germans, only their uniforms.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

B Hellqvist

Post by B Hellqvist » 21 Sep 2017, 22:02

von thoma wrote:None of them are germans, only their uniforms.
So what are they? Volksdeutsche? I'm intrigued. BTW, the photo was developed in München/Munich.

ML59

Post by ML59 » 26 Nov 2017, 02:10

Are you sure they're Hungarian? Could it be they are Austrians just shortly after the Anschluss, still wearing a mixture of old Austrian uniform with German insignia and new German uniforms?

B Hellqvist

Post by B Hellqvist » 26 Nov 2017, 04:40

ML59 wrote:Are you sure they're Hungarian? Could it be they are Austrians just shortly after the Anschluss, still wearing a mixture of old Austrian uniform with German insignia and new German uniforms?
There are some similarities with Hungarian uniforms, but now when you say it, they sure look like Austrian uniforms. I guess there were enough similarities as both armies used the rank insignia of the old Austro-Hungarian Empire. I think you've solved the mystery. Thanks!

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”