Coat of arms of Lika, Croatia during WW2?

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
lican

Coat of arms of Lika, Croatia during WW2?

Post by lican » 24 Sep 2017, 01:08

Hi everyone.

My ancestry is from Lika and a lot of my family was in the Croatian Domobrani in Lika.

I was wondering what the coat of arms was during WW2 for Lika. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dr Eisvogel

Re: Coat of arms of Lika, Croatia during WW2?

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 27 Sep 2017, 22:25

lican wrote:Hi everyone.

My ancestry is from Lika and a lot of my family was in the Croatian Domobrani in Lika.

I was wondering what the coat of arms was during WW2 for Lika. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi lican,

during the WWII the administrative units or velike župe didn't have their own coats-of-arms.

Velika župa Lika-Gacka covered the Lika area.

So, the traditional and informal coats-of-arms of Lika was the one used until 1918 by the Lika-Krbava County:

Best regards,
Eisvogel

lican

Post by lican » 04 Oct 2017, 18:44

Thanks Eisvogel.

Was it a white checker first then or is it this red checker first?

Dr Eisvogel

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 18 Oct 2017, 10:29

lican wrote:Thanks Eisvogel.

Was it a white checker first then or is it this red checker first?
It seems both versions were in use until 1918. Starting with either red or silver (gules or argent).

In any case due to the fact there were six checkers in the line, one side would start in one tincture and end in the other.

Speaking generally about Croatian checkerboard, until 1918 both tinctures (gules and argent) were used without prejudice.

Only during the period of Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, since the state coat-of-arms was fixed with the first red field for the checkerboard did the idea emerge of the silver field being more Croatian.

Such a problem did not exist until 1918.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”