Bulgaria, Yugoslav & Albanian battalion / division names

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Lambles

Bulgaria, Yugoslav & Albanian battalion / division names

Post by Lambles » 16 Jan 2018, 01:21

Hi there folks,

I'm currently looking for an "oob" of types for Bulgaria, Yugoslavia & Albania around 1936. I've found an old forum with a list of Bulgarian divisions listed but I'm after the names of battalions more than where they were placed (similar to how this site lists them http://www.worldwar2.ro/arme/?article=28 ), unique names/nicknames like "hunters" mentioned in the link above. I'd love to hear of any information if anybody has some.

Many thanks & have a great day,
Jake.

Dr Eisvogel

Re: Bulgaria, Yugoslav & Albanian battalion / division names

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 27 Jan 2018, 16:47

Lambles wrote:Hi there folks,

I'm currently looking for an "oob" of types for Bulgaria, Yugoslavia & Albania around 1936. I've found an old forum with a list of Bulgarian divisions listed but I'm after the names of battalions more than where they were placed (similar to how this site lists them http://www.worldwar2.ro/arme/?article=28 ), unique names/nicknames like "hunters" mentioned in the link above. I'd love to hear of any information if anybody has some.

Many thanks & have a great day,
Jake.
Hi Jake,

you can find names for the Royal Yugoslav Army divisions over the wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslav_ ... Yugoslavia

In principle the divisions were named after rivers, mountains, historical regions, cities. Most of them end up at -ska or -čka, because it denotes the adjective, meaning " division of something (of city, of region, of river, of mountain)". Division is in feminine gender (divizija).

At the same time there were detachments, which were similarly named. Their names mostly end with -ski or -čki, because detachment is in masculine gender (odred).

Best regards,
Eisvogel

Lambles

Post by Lambles » 28 Jan 2018, 04:37

Hi Eisvogel,

Thank you so much for the information on the Yugoslavian names, itll certainly help me go a long way with my project.

Thanks, Lambles

Dr Eisvogel

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 28 Jan 2018, 12:54

Lambles wrote:Hi Eisvogel,

Thank you so much for the information on the Yugoslavian names, itll certainly help me go a long way with my project.

Thanks, Lambles
Hi Lambles,

I am sorry that I cannot provide you with an exhaustive lists of regimental names, but I know for a fact that the 2nd
Cavalry Regiment, stationed in Virovitica in 1941 and probably in 1936 too, was named "Car Dušan Silni" [Emperor Dušan the Mighty].

Also, it seems that that particular regiment carried the traditions of the same regiment of the Serbian Army, because in WWI the Serbian Army had the 2nd Cavalry Regiment "Car Dušan Silni".

Best regards,
Eisvogel

Cakalarov

Post by Cakalarov » 30 May 2018, 21:41

I now about 'Strumica detachment" from 28. "Bregalnica" infantry division, stationed in Strumica before the April War 1941.

Best regards,
Cakalrov

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”