King Michael of Romania

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
anaoanc298

King Michael of Romania

Post by anaoanc298 » 16 Jan 2018, 21:34

Dear all,
I am a history student trying to find more on the topic of whether King Michael of Romania actually shortened the war by 200 days?
I would be grateful for any help.
Thank you,
Ana

SloLiberal

Re: King Michael of Romania

Post by SloLiberal » 02 Mar 2018, 16:29

He helped to organize a coup against Antonescu in 1944 which helped Red army to advance more fast. Later some romanian divisons were fighting for allied cause. But 200 days seems a lot to me. Where did you get this number?

South

Post by South » 04 Mar 2018, 07:18

Good morning Ana 298 / Ana,

Welcome to AHF. I'm confident surfing around - and contributing to the forum will help you in your history studies.

Be careful using exact numbers like "200 days". Focus on trends and use dates of "memorial" events like, for example, 23 August 1944, when King Michael overthrew Antonescu, like SloLiberal mentioned.

Romania reentered the war on the Allied side. The arrangements required Romania to accept military occupation until the conclusion of the final peace settlement. Romanian forces that continued the war were in support of the Soviet army in Transylvania, Hungary and Czechoslovakia. Those Romanian troops on the Moldavian front were disarmed. This is where you're probably getting the "200 days" number.

Since the Soviet Union held the chairmanship of the Allied Control Commission, even dates could be "adjusted".

Again: Welcome to AHF !

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 04 Mar 2018, 18:45

Hi anaoanc298,

His action certainly shortened the war, but by how much is debateable.

It very probably made it impossible for the Germans and Hungarians to establish a strong, defensible line in the southern Transilvanian Alps.

Subsequent battles on the Hungarian plain drew a disproportional amount of German armour later in the war that might have been used elsewhere had the Transilvanian Alps line been held.

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”