'Romata Armana by Scafes, MAPS

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

'Romata Armana by Scafes, MAPS

Post by Jeff Leach » 10 Jun 2018, 14:47

The volume, 'Armata Romana 1941-1945', by Cornel Scafes, Horia Serbanescu, Ioan Scafes, Cornel Andonie, Ioan Danila and Romeo Avram appears to have some good maps.

Could someone post a decent copy of the maps

1.) advance from the Prut to the Dniester River, 22 June - 20 July, 1941

2.) if there is a good map on the advance from the Dniester River to the encirclement of Odessa.

nirvana22nov

Re: 'Romata Armana by Scafes, MAPS

Post by nirvana22nov » 29 Aug 2018, 16:28

hello jeff, i do not have the book but i can get it for you

mustareata costel

Post by mustareata costel » 30 Aug 2018, 09:15

Corect is ARMATA ROMANA not ROMATA ARMANA !!!!

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 31 Aug 2018, 13:42

Sorry for the misspelling. When I write quickly it is easy to make mistake.

nirvana22nov: if you can help with the purchase of books in Romania, can you PM me your email. There are several volumes I am interested, all of them deal with the liberation of Bessarabia in 1941.

nirvana22nov

Post by nirvana22nov » 31 Aug 2018, 20:47

i can not access to write in private if i do not post my email adress on the direct thread, but i do not think there are books about the release of Bessarabia written by the romanians in english

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 01 Sep 2018, 08:31

I am talking about the Romanian books (in Romanian) covering the liberation of Bessarabia. I am working on a book covering the operations of the German LIV Army Corps from the Prut to the Lower Bug Rivers (approx. 22 June - 18 August 1941) and was looking for what the Romanians had writen on the subject. The Sarfes volumes had some nice maps (the best I have seen) covering the operation.

The German and Romanian forces cooperated quite closely during the liberation of Bessarabia. While the German do critise the Romanian forces at times, they are also given a lot of praise also.

Scafes, Cornel, et al, “Armata Romana 1941-1945,” Editura RAI, Bucharest, Rumania, 1996.

I will post a list of the volumes that interest me later.

nirvana22nov

Post by nirvana22nov » 02 Sep 2018, 16:22

unfortunately,this volume is rare and only found in the antique shop (170 lei aprox. 36 euro)https://www.google.ro/search?q=armata+r ... e&ie=UTF-8, ...romanian sources generally overestimate the real military capabilities, de urmarit ..http://www.worldwar2.ro/arr/?article=4

Brad Hunter

Post by Brad Hunter » 05 Oct 2018, 18:23

About eight years ago, I did some extensive research on the Rumanian Army for a game, "Gary Grigsby's War in the East" published by Matrix Games. These are the main sources I used for this research. If you can contact some one in Rumania, maybe from this board, you can find these sources (which I did - I own all of these books). Failing that, your local university library may have copies (I know that UNC Chapel Hill did):

--Axworthy, Mark, “Third Axis Fourth Ally,” Arms and Armour Press, London, UK, 1995.
--Bernad, Denes, “Rumanian Air Force, The Prime Decade, 1938-1947,” Squadron/Signal Publications, Carrollton, TX, 1999.
--Constantinescu, Serban, “Romania in al Doilea Razboi Mondial, Partea I (22 iunie 1941 – 23 august 1944) Repere Cronologice si Comentarii,” Editura Nereamia Napocae, Cluj-Napoca, Rumania, 2002.
--Dutu, Alesandru, et al, “Armata Romana in al Doilea Razboi Mondial 1941-1945,” Editura Enciclopedica, Bucharest, Rumania, 1999.
--Dutu, Alesandru, et al, “Eliberarea Basarabiei si a Nordului Bucovinei 22 iunie – 26 iulie 1941,” Editura Fundatiei Culturale Romane, Bucharest, Rumania, 1999.
--Dutu, Alesandru, et al, “Pe Tarmul Nord-Pontic 17 iulie – 4 iulie 1942,” Editura Fundatiei Culturale Romane, Bucharest, Rumania, 1999.
--Forstmeier, Friedrich, “Odessa 1941 – Der Kampf und Stadt und Hafen und die Raumung der Seefestung 15. August bis 16. Oktober 1941,” Verlag Rombach & Co., Freiburg, West Germany, 1967.
--Nitu, Victor, “Divizia 1 Blindata in Lupta, Trecerea Prutului si Pimele Lupta,” MODEL IST Magazine.
--Pascu, Stefan, et al, “Romania in anii celui de-al doilea Razboi Mondial,” 3 Volumes, Editura Militara, Bucharest, Rumania, 1989.
--Popescu, Ion, et al, ”Istoria Artileriei Romane,” Editura Militara, Bucharest, Rumania, 1977.
--Romanescu, Gheorghe, et al, “Istoria Infanteriei Romane,” 2 Volumes, Editura Stiintifica si Enciclopedica, Bucharest, 1985.
--Scafes, Cornel, et al, “Armata Romana 1941-1945,” Editura RAI, Bucharest, Rumania, 1996.
Attachments
RumanianDeployment41.jpg

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 16 Oct 2018, 08:40

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Your list of books contain all the Romanian titles that I am looking for, many of which I have seen offered for sale in Romania. I have the Axworthy books, which had a lot of information about Romanian artillery (there is also a Romanian pdf on the subject). I also have a two volume set about the air war in Southern Russia, by Denes Bernad, "From Barbarossa to Odessa". The books are very good. I had thought they were exhaustive but looking though the war time records it seems they might not be.

The map you show, which isn't the map in Scafes 1996 that I am looking for (it covers the German LIV AK and the northern part of the Romanian 3rd Army, is about the best I have seen for the Campaign in Bessarabia. That said, it doesn't show the Soviet operations that well. Honestly you really need to break it down into several maps to do the campaign justice.

What I am most interested, is the Romanian view of the operations. There are some observations and information in the German records and except for the records of the 170 I.D., it isn't all that criticial (one of the most interesting observations was: because of the lighter weight of the Romanian equipment their formation were more mobile in the mud than German formations). I am most interested just now, in Romanian information about the Romanian Armored Division and the 5, 13, 14 and 15 Infantry Divisions. These are the division that worked most closely with the German Army during the liberation of Bessarabia.

Brad Hunter

Post by Brad Hunter » 23 Oct 2018, 05:47

For short operational and organizational histories of the Rumanian cavalry divisions, and the armored division, I would suggest the following book:
Attachments
RumCavArm.jpg

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 05 Mar 2019, 09:15

Here is a not so good copy of the map I originally asked for
cornesti_massif.jpg

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”