Looking for assistance locating an Ustasha family member.

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Andrija

Looking for assistance locating an Ustasha family member.

Post by Andrija » 10 Oct 2018, 17:01

Hi Everyone!
This is my first time posting. I am looking to help further the knowledge of my family tree on my dads side. My grandather, Jakov Adžija was born in the small village of Lipa near Gospic in Lika. He says his father was not an Ustase soldier, but was an Ustase party member. In 1942, his father was found dead in front of house, stabbed to death by Partisans, and found later in a snow bank frozen to death. My dida claims the perpetrator was a local butcher of the town. However this is where it becomes interesting. My Grandfather was then taken in by his uncle (whom I am seeking information on), and claims his uncle was a soldier in the Ustase holding either a sergeant, or low officer rank. All I know about my Grandfathers uncle is his last name was Adžija and that he was an Ustase soldier. My Dida joined several other children his age, and for several years at the age of 7 years old he and several others were part of a youth group I believe called Ustaska Djecja Uzdanica (excuse my terrible croatian, hvala!) He described being trained as a soldier, looked after by nuns, and even being visited by Pavelic as they were seen as the future Ustase core. I have seen my grandfathers photo in a novel with several other children, however I haven't been able to locate it. At the end of the war my dida had to flee through to Austria, later returning to his mother. Any information you are able to provide relating to "Adžija's" throughout WW2 would be extremely appreciated! I am mainly trying to locate the name of My grandfathers uncle, and anything else pertaining to the families activities relating to the Ustase. Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,
Andrija

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”