Hungarian arms transferred to Spain?

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Poot

Hungarian arms transferred to Spain?

Post by Poot » 31 Jan 2019 00:11

This might be straining the bounds of this sub-forum, but did Hungary ever supply small arms to either side in the Spanish Civil War? I'm not aware that they did, but that's not my area of research, either. I couldn't find anything definitive in a Google search.

Thank you,
Pat
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

Peter89

Re: Hungarian arms transferred to Spain?

Post by Peter89 » 31 Jan 2019 11:35

Some 1200 Hungarian volunteers fought on the Republican side altogether. (Some 600 died in the conflict, and an extra 350-400 in the upcoming WW2.) Many of them became leading figures of the postwar communist regime.
https://m.magyarnarancs.hu/tudomany/szi ... dik-100889

Large scale arms support from Hungary was out of the question as Hungary was not allowed to have much weapons before 1938.

I'll look into this matter ;)
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Poot

Post by Poot » 01 Feb 2019 05:48

Thank you Peter. I just acquired a 31M carbine that has a marking on it that many attribute to the Spanish Civil War, but I have my doubts about that. I know that these were largely relegated to storage and second line units when the 35M began to be produced, but I didn't think that they were sold to foreign markets.

Best,
Pat

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 02 Feb 2019 09:25

I haven't seen Hungary mentioned in this regard. However, Czechoslovakia and Poland definitely were indirect suppliers of the Republicans in northern Spain. Unlike Hungary, which had been largely disarmed after WWII, they had large armies with considerable amounts of obsolescent weaponry available for export.

Cheers,

Sid.

Poot

Post by Poot » 03 Feb 2019 02:29

Thanks Sid. I was aware of Poland's and Czechoslovakia's involvement in supplying rifles but had never heard of Hungary doing the same, especially after crippling sanctions.

Best,
Pat

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”