Need ID of Croatian General Schloss Klessheim 1944

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Mark Costa

Need ID of Croatian General Schloss Klessheim 1944

Post by Mark Costa » 27 Oct 2020, 22:32

Can anyone ID the Croatian Army General talking with Hitler at the Schloss Klessheim in spring 1944. Note he is wearing the Combined/Pilot Observer Badge with Diamonds -- so he must be a very high ranking general. Could this be Ante Vokić ?? Thanks.

Mark Costa
Attachments
CPOBD01   Ante Vokic  MAYBE.jpg

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Re: Need ID of Croatian General Schloss Klessheim 1944

Post by G. Trifkovic » 28 Oct 2020, 01:15

Hi Mark,

are you certain photo was taken at Schloss Klessheim in the spring of 1944? According to Bogdan Krizman (Ustaše i Treći Reich, Vol.I, [PDF] p. 325), the meeting with Hitler that took place on 1 March was attended solely by politicians/civilians: Prime Minister Nikola Mandić, Foreign Minister Stijepo Perić, the chief of protocol service Dr. Vladimir Mintas, State Counselor [državni vijećnik] Matija Kovačić, Undersecretary in Ministry of Interior Dr. Aleksandar Benak, "and others" (I doubt that a highly decorated general would be included here; I presume this refers to aides/junior clerks).

Best,

Gaius

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 28 Oct 2020, 03:31

G. Trifkovic wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 01:15
Hi Mark,

are you certain photo was taken at Schloss Klessheim in the spring of 1944? According to Bogdan Krizman (Ustaše i Treći Reich, Vol.I, [PDF] p. 325), the meeting with Hitler that took place on 1 March was attended solely by politicians/civilians: Prime Minister Nikola Mandić, Foreign Minister Stijepo Perić, the chief of protocol service Dr. Vladimir Mintas, State Counselor [državni vijećnik] Matija Kovačić, Undersecretary in Ministry of Interior Dr. Aleksandar Benak, "and others" (I doubt that a highly decorated general would be included here; I presume this refers to aides/junior clerks).

Best,

Gaius
Yes it is definitely in the spring whether it was march or april i am not sure but it is from a movie showing Mandic etc being welcomed at the Schloss Klessheim and this general was among the participants and seems to have been important.

Mark Costa

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 28 Oct 2020, 17:55

Mark,

I have no idea then; good luck with your search.

G.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 28 Oct 2020, 18:59

Hello, Mark and G.

As far as I can tell, he could also be a colonel and could be wearing a Croatian pilot badge (which was based on the German medal). As G. wrote, the meeting took place on 1 March. You can watch the newsreel report here (skip to 2:30) https://d1.net-film.ru/web-tc-mp4/fs56416.mp4

Cheers,
Ivan

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 29 Oct 2020, 03:17

Ivan Ž. wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 18:59
Hello, Mark and G.

As far as I can tell, he could also be a colonel and could be wearing a Croatian pilot badge (which was based on the German medal). As G. wrote, the meeting took place on 1 March. You can watch the newsreel report here (skip to 2:30) https://d1.net-film.ru/web-tc-mp4/fs56416.mp4

Cheers,
Ivan
This is not the newsreel that I saw as this man was in a lot more frames and it is definitely a CPOB with Diamonds as the close ups show it sparkling alot. I would not think an Army officer would be wearing a pilot badge but a HIGH ranking general would be given a CPOBD by Goering. I saw a Norwegian newsreel and this above seems to be a Russian or eastern country one based on the commentary.
Mark Costa

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 29 Oct 2020, 11:00

Hello, Mark

Well, do you know the name and number of the newsreel? Precise info and additional images/frames are always most welcome (and preferred) in the identification process. The screenshot you posted is blurry and one can't see the rank nor the medal clearly. Here's another foreign newsreel with the exact same report https://d1.net-film.ru/web-tc-mp4/fs90034.mp4 (skip to 1:15). No additional frames there either. (This clip is from Ostland nedēļas apskats 20821; the previous one was from UFA-Auslands-Tonwoche 655.)

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”