Interview with a Romanian Bf-110 pilot

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Victor

Interview with a Romanian Bf-110 pilot

Post by Victor » 09 Jul 2003, 10:36

I have added an interview with cdor. av. Titus Axente, a Romanian Bf-110 pilot in the Interviews section of my other site.

Victor Nitu: Sir, you were a Bf-110 pilot. Please tell us how a mission went by.

Titus Axente: We took off from Otopeni airfield, from the concrete runaway. There were several Freya-Wurzburg (I think 7) across Romania. All had Roman names: Brutus, Tiberius etc. The command center was situated at Otopeni. They directed us to one of the stations. When we entered their designated area (the range was about 60 km) we wee guided by them to about 2 km from the target, where the onboard radar became effective. But we never entered in contact with the British.

Claudiu Stumer: Why?

Titus Axente: The ground radar operators were German and they preferred to guide their Germans, not us. Plus, the communications were in German, coded. Even more difficult.

Claudiu Stumer: What's your impression about the aircraft?

Titus Axente: It was a very good aircraft. We flew on the C and F versions. We learned to fly on the Bf-110C and only then we passed to the Fritz, which had radar. The Germans flew on the more advanced Gustav. The Bf-110C could do aerobatics, but limited. We were not allowed to do fast rolls or spins. Only slow rolls. I did not have any problems with this aircraft.

The rest here http://www.arr.go.ro in the Interviews section.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”