Hungarian fighters vs Soviet river ships

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
lupodimare89

Hungarian fighters vs Soviet river ships

Post by lupodimare89 » 18 Jun 2022, 08:34

Greetings, some time ago i found an interest episode of Hungarian aircrafts: one Fiat CR.42 and one He-46 (serial F.315, pilot Jósef Tóth and observer László Csura) attacking one unidentified Soviet gunboat/monitor between Novaya Odessa and Nikolayev, reportedly close Pesky on 13 August 1941.
Apart claimed damage on the target, the He-46 was also quite heavily damaged by the aa return fire.

While at first i believed the case to remain minor/unresolved, i found with interest that two significant Soviet riverine warships operated in the area: the powerful monitor "Udarnyy" and the smaller but also famous "Zheleznyakov"

Here a fragment of Russian text
12 августа Дунайская флотилия прикрывала переправу 9-й армии через Варваровский мост вблизи Николаева и Ингульскую переправу у завода №61. С рассветом мониторы «Ударный» и «Железняков» с двумя отрядами бронекатеров спустились вниз и стали на якорь в районе села Матвеевка. В 5 часов утра монитор «Ударный» высадил у села Сливны 7-ю роту морской пехоты, после чего оба монитора заняли огневые позиции.

Problem it's that all the location mentioned in the Russian text are southern in position than the axis "Pesky"-Pisky /"Trihoty"-Trykhaty mentioned by Hungarians.

Could be interesting to single-out which ship was attacked by Hungarians
(Soviet sources doesn't mention significant damage on either ship on 12/13 August, still maybe some kind of light damage inflicted)

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”