Allied forces POW control system - specially Hungarian

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Géza Árbocz

Post by Géza Árbocz » 09 Jan 2004, 04:15

I would like how the Allied Forces controled the number of the POW they had emprisioned during the WWII period, specially at the end.
I would like to get some detailed information about where were emprisioned the Hungarian soldiers kept prisioners and how many of them were returned to Hungary at the deportation period.

Agrarian Hungarian

Post by Agrarian Hungarian » 24 Apr 2006, 14:48

Hi Geza. One place was in Lipari, Italy. But maybe that was a bit after the time you wanted. My father was interned in Lipari for several months, but that was in 1949. He was a former Hungarian soldier. The camp had been there for a while before that, but not sure from what date. I have lots of photos of his time in Lipari - the British and others treated the Hungarian's well.

Do you mind if I ask why you are interested?

regards,

Géza Árbocz

Post by Géza Árbocz » 29 Apr 2006, 02:39

Hi Agrarian,
Many thanks for your reply. I`m willing to get more information about this subject, because my father was a captain of the Honved and he was captured by the American somewere in Germany and held prisioner at Bretzenheim POW field.
He finally was released by the Americans and we went togehter as a family to Brasil at the end of 1950.
But I have no record the exact location where the American troops captured him and no record of his POW war period.
So your information about an Italian POW field is interesting but not helping specifically with what I`m looking for.
Have a good time, Geza

Agrarian Hungarian

Post by Agrarian Hungarian » 30 Apr 2006, 04:00

I suppose you may have already seen these sites and information before, but I post it anyway, just in case you haven't.

http://www.archives.gov/iwg/

The US Archive site contains a HUGE amount of information on WW2 but it mainly only lists what information is available, but not the actual details. Maybe wiorting to them and seeing if there is an archive of details of Axis POW's might be worthwhile.

It also seems that it may have been the 106th Infantry division that was looking after some of the camps, so a search around this Division might give you more information.

http://wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/archi ... index.html

I am not expert in this area, but my limited reading of the material suggests that a huge number of Axis POW's were taken into these camps and the probability of keeping good records with so many POW's taken in a short time is maybe not high.

Anyhow, if I come across something that might be useful, i will also let you know.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”