The book: "Royal Hungarian Army 1920 - 1945"

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Niehorster

Post by Niehorster » 29 Jul 2002, 18:56

One book mailed to National Széchényi Library in Budapest today.
Cheers
Leo Niehorster

DenesBernad

National Széchényi Library in Budapest

Post by DenesBernad » 29 Jul 2002, 20:52

I always offer a single complimentary copy (that's all I can afford) of my military history books to a Hungarian library, and that is the National Széchényi Library in Budapest. I think your choice was correct and will certainly reach a significant number of readers.

Dénes

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Hi Denes

Post by David C. Clarke » 29 Jul 2002, 22:52

Hello Denes, allow me to offer my congratulations on the exemplary work you've done on the HS-129. I've enjoyed both of your works on that remarkable airplane and the men who flew her (and I'm an armor guy!). Best of Luck for the Future and Keep 'em Coming!!! Very Best Regards, David :D

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 30 Jul 2002, 07:36

David:

I am maintaining my opinion. I am very glad, that foreigners interested in Hungarian history, but at the moment, you can find just Hungarian sources about this topic. You have to use Hungarian language. Just several books have English/German edition, like Krisztián Ungváry's book, about siege of Budapest:

Ungvary, Krisztian: Die Schlacht um Budapest.
Stalingrad an der Donau 1944/45. 1999. 504 S. m. 86 Abb. u. Ktn. 23 cm. Gebunden. 834gr.
ISBN: 3-7766-2120-6, KNO-NR: 08 12 46 51
-HERBIG-

Krisztián had the PhD too. He had very good style, and this book contains just several small mistakes. Highly recommended for German speakers (the German edition was written by Krisztián, this isn't a badly translated book).

Professor Carlile Aylmer Macartney was the first foreigner historian, who made books about Hungary's history till 1945. His memory is very respected here. I hope, that Mr. Niehorster will be the next foreigner historian, who will make good works about Hungary's history.

Mr. Niehorster:

Thanks for your donation. The Széchenyi Library is the best place for this book.

Niehorster

Post by Niehorster » 30 Jul 2002, 12:01

A few words regarding the background of my book.

Even initially, it was my impression that there had to be much more to Hungary in World War II than a mere listing as the final satellite of the ill-fated German Third Reich, or that the Royal Hungarian Army was just another inefficient and basically worthless auxiliary of the Wehrmacht -- a myth perpetuated in post-WWII Western literature based on publications by self-serving former German generals.

The unfortunate silence by the western Allies about secret discussions/agreements made by them with Hungary or their knowledge of its earnest attempts for a separate peace during the war has maintained that general opinion about Hungary. The situation was not helped by the Communist government of Hungary after the war. Hungary, as the Soviet Union's former enemy, maintained a very low profile regarding any feats of arms against its new "ally". As in all Communist countries, help from the archives was not forthcoming, access to original documentation in Hungary impossible, and, frankly, any literature dealing with the Great Patriotic War issued by official Hungarian sources during that period was highly suspect, especially as it was impossible to check the sources. For the same reasons, there were obviously no really privately published ventures in Hungary during this time either.

The book was primarily based on the various original organizational plans (plus the accompanying charts), and orders of battle provided by Pál Darnoy. Other original material was provided by other former members of the Hungarian Armed Forces. Having run into the discrepancies between the published books in German and the original sources in the German archives, I was very leery of any "memories" provided regarding concrete facts. Please note that the memories were important because they indicate mood, general attitude, etc. at the time. In the 1990's, some very valuable assistance was provided by the Military History Archives in Budapest, such as a listing of units' commanding officers with their dates in command.

As I indicate in my book, I think that I have done justice to the Royal Hungarian Army, and although I have attempted to keep the book impartial, it will be obvious to many readers that sympathy for the Hungarians and their plight in the wake of WWI has crept into this presentation. Even so, interestingly enough, some Hungarians who have read the manuscript find my presentation of Hungary's motives and of the Royal Hungarian Army as not positive enough and my point of view as "too western", by which they usually mean German. (Which I am not). Knowing I will never satisfy all points of view, I have chosen to present the events as I see them.

Like I indicated, I look forward to constructive criticism.
Cheers
Leo Niehorster

DenesBernad

Post by DenesBernad » 30 Jul 2002, 18:49

David C. Clarke wrote:
allow me to offer my congratulations on the exemplary work you've done on the HS-129. I've enjoyed both of your works on that remarkable airplane and the men who flew her (and I'm an armor guy!). Best of Luck for the Future and Keep 'em Coming!!! Very Best Regards, David
Thank for your kind words, David.
All I have tried is to show the real story of this outstanding little ground attack airplane, generally appreciated by its pilots - Germans and Rumanians alike. I hope I managed to depict the general picture, despite of the 50-page limitation imposed by Squadron/Signal Publ.

Dénes

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Hi Denes

Post by David C. Clarke » 31 Jul 2002, 15:30

Hi Denes, I'm an old fan of Squadron-Signal, dating back to the ice ages when they were one of the few references available on German armor. I've always held that when an "In Action" is done right, it can be as informative as many much more expensive books and your "HS-129 in Action" was definitely done right! But, I had the best of both worlds, since I also picked up a copy of the MBI "HS-129" you co-authored. I remember when you mentioned on Feldgrau that you were involved in a project concerning this plane and I was extremely happy to be able to purchase the finished products. You did a wonderful job, Denes, on both publications!!! Best Regards, David :D :D :D

Niehorster

Errata for "Hungarian Army 1920-1945"

Post by Niehorster » 18 Dec 2002, 13:39

BTT
8O

Orok

Post by Orok » 30 Sep 2003, 18:21

Hi Dr. Niehorster,

I've just ordered your book but it has not yet arrived. I am expecting many hours of pleasure reading your work.

I heard that you are working on a second volume of this book, focusing on equipment. I would like to know if this is true and what is the progress.

There is a second volume using the same main title published by Axis Europa by Dr. Peter Mujzer. I am curious as to if you have anything to do with this book and how good is it. I couldn't find any review of it.

Best Regards!

Alexderome

Re: The book: "Royal Hungarian Army 1920 - 1945"

Post by Alexderome » 03 Feb 2010, 01:04

I am very intereted about the Honved and especially Huszar, but in France there are so few informations !! The books are not available in English, MrNiehoster books are out of print or sold at high price. Fortunately I found Mr Denes forum, very useful.
http://denes.us/forums/YaBB.pl
On french forum, I try to make known the hungarian army despite my poor knowledges : http://deuxiemeguerremondia.forumactif. ... -t9829.htm
If somebody may suggest english books, it will be very useful.
Thanks
ALEX
http://hongrie2gm.creer-forums-gratuit.fr/forum.htm
Eravamo 30 d'una sorte, 31 con la morte (Gabriele d'Annunzio).

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 03 Feb 2010, 11:23

Unfortunately, very few books in English have appeared since my book was first published in 1999.

I can recommend:
   Csaba Becze
   "Magyar Steel"
   Mushroom Model Magazine, Redbourn, 2007,
   ISBN 978-83-89450-29-6
An 84 page paperback. Brief textual look covering Hungarian armored unit operations, organizations, and vehicle. Lots of black and white photographs, as well as 9 pages of AFV plans, 14 pages of color photographs of surviving armored vehicles, and 12 pages of colored drawings.

Czaba has also published an "air" book in English:
   "Baptism of Fire: Hungarian-Slovakian Air War, March 1939"
   Mushroom Model Magazine, Redbourn, 2007.
   ISBN-13: 9788389450562

Another book, now out of print:
   Peter Mujzer
   "Hungarian Mobile Forces"
   The Royal Hungarian Army 1920-1045, Vol. 2
   Axis Europa, New York, 2000.
   ISBN 1-891227-35-1
Hardback of 115 pages. Deals with the establishment and organization (~14 pages), the armored operations (~25 pages), descriptions and drawings of various vehicles used by the mobile (read cavalry--bicycle–-mechanized) forces (~43 pages), and a photographic appendix (~6 pages). A well done book.

Unfortunately for the reader, Axis Europe was not able to open the images included in the CD sent by the author, and so the few photographs included in the appendix were not from Dr. Mujzer but included by the publisher from his own collection. In addition, the tactical and unit insignia were taken over whole without editing, and most are missing their correct identification.
[OK, rant over. :roll: ]

HOWEVER, I am told that at a later date Dr. Mujzer personally self-published the _complete_ book as a CD. As much as I would like to get my hands on this object, I have not been able to locate one.

Cheers
Leo

Andrew Telford

Post by Andrew Telford » 05 Feb 2010, 10:53

Leo,
check your inbox (PM).

Regards
Andrew

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 05 Feb 2010, 14:45

Another long OOP (out of print) title, but at least it's in Hungarian, English, German and French:

[Council of the Order of Vitéz]. A m. kir. Fegyveres erők Képeskrónikája (1919-1945). [Illustrated Chronicle of the Royal Hungarian Armed Forces (1919-1945)]. Munich: Danubia, 1977. Hungarian with Eng, Ger and French summaries. Hb (oversize). 298p. Heavily illus. Maps. Tables. Charts. Inserts. Bibliography.

P.S. apologies if this book was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Géza Árbocz

Post by Géza Árbocz » 13 Feb 2010, 13:16

Dear Sirs,
I think that the time is to gather information or indicate sources to Mr. Niehorster, in orde to enable him to correct what may be needed to, and not to get discussing how he wrote his book about the Hungarian army, which was the first on english, by what I know.
Yours Cordially, Árbocz Géza (in Hungarian way)

WorldwarBill

Post by WorldwarBill » 11 May 2010, 23:38

Greetings all, I'm new but have both volumes of the Royal Hungarian Army published by Axis Europa, including Mr. Niehorster's . I have a specific question related to the Hungarian SS divisions, 25th and 26th SS. Sometime in April, 1945, the commanders of these divisions met with Szalasi in Salzburg to decide what to do next. Does anyone know the exact date of this meeting, or any other details? I would be very grateful for whatever sources can be provided.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”