Hungarian Signum Laudis Medal

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
FTC1048

Hungarian Signum Laudis Medal

Post by FTC1048 » 13 Aug 2002, 21:55

Does anyone have the numbers that were given out during World War 2 in the different grades and any listings of the recipients?

Thank You.
Andy

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 14 Aug 2002, 12:14

Andras,

The Signum Laudis had civilian and military variant too. The military had bronze and silver grade; the military variants always had swords and war ribbons (it was the different between the civilian and military variant).

It was the "smallest" medal for the officers, at least 6000 bronze and 500 silver wariant were awarded during the war (I don't know the exact numbers, during 1945 the exact numbers are unknown)

BTW I don't know, how many German officers were awarded with this medals. Horthy hated him, he didn't want to give a lot of Hungarian awards for Germans (he always bisected the German list, but during Szálasi it was easier)

Csaba
Attachments
signum laudis.jpg
signum laudis.jpg (9.94 KiB) Viewed 2215 times

FTC1048

Post by FTC1048 » 14 Aug 2002, 19:54

Thanks Csaba,

What do you mean by "smallest officers medal" ?
What was the criteria for receiving the medal?

Andras

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 15 Aug 2002, 10:38

András,

The Signum Laudis was the "smallest" award for officers. This mean, that it was awarded after "smallest" feats, like other medals.

The important grades and medals for officers were:
Signum Laudis (Bronze)
Signum Laudis (Silver)
Magyar Érdemrend Lovagkeresztje hadiszalagon kardokkal (approx. Hungarian Knight's Cross with war ribbons and swords)
Magyar Érdemrend Tisztikeresztje hadiékítményekkel és kardokkal (approx. Hungarian Officer's Cross with war embellishment and swords)
Magyar Tiszti Arany Vitézségi Érem (Hungarian Officer's Gold Medal for Bravery) very rare, it had just 22 Hungarian and 3 German recipients

It was the first medal for the eminent officers. Sorry, but I can't explain a lot (my English is quite poor to explain a lot)

Csaba

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 15 Aug 2002, 10:44

BTW, it had not an official criterie. In Air Force, the recon and bomber pilots got their first Signum Laudis after 25 combat sorties, but the infantry had not an "official" criterie for the award this medal.

Csaba

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 17 Aug 2002, 12:16

Andras,

Just a small note:
The awarding system were subjective in Hungary. The reserve officers had a disadvantage with the awards (the regular officers got more awards, and sometimes they got a higher medal for the same thing, like a reserve officer)

Csaba

FTC1048

Post by FTC1048 » 20 Aug 2002, 04:50

Hi Csaba,

Thanks for the information hope the flooding is not causing you any problems. I guess the info regarding reserve officers having a harder time earning this medal is interesting since my father was a reserve officer and still got one.
Have you been to the Dr. Szentvary-Lukacs Janos website on Hungarian medals ? http://www.akm.externet.hu/rendjel/

He states that the Signum in bronze was awarded 4810 times with swords and 1924 times on the war ribbon.

Any comments?

Thanks Andras

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 21 Aug 2002, 11:14

Hi András,

I know him, and his page is excellent (I've sent some info him about some recipients to expansion this page)
He is a great expert of the Hungarian awards.

This numbers were awarded just till 31 Dec 1944. The late war period's exact numbers are unknown.

Csaba

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”