Looking for pictures of Hungarian and Romanian Generals

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
ordoprinceps

Looking for pictures of Hungarian and Romanian Generals

Post by ordoprinceps » 24 Dec 2004, 09:14

I am looking for pictures of Hungarian and Romanian Generals can anyone help? Is there national archive perhaps for those countries for WW2?

Victor

Post by Victor » 24 Dec 2004, 11:03

You are likely to find photos of Romanian generals at the National Military Museum in Bucharest than at the Military Archives, which hold mostly files, reports etc. What generals are you interested in?

ordoprinceps

Post by ordoprinceps » 24 Dec 2004, 17:37

Thanks Victor
Still looking for Hungarians if you runa across any one who knows.
Nice avatar by the way, what is it?

Victor

Post by Victor » 24 Dec 2004, 17:53

It is the Steaua Romaniei Order.

You will find photos of some Romanian generals here:
http://www.worldwar2.ro/portrete/?language=en
Browse through this part of the forum and you will find more, including Hungarians.

ordoprinceps

Post by ordoprinceps » 24 Dec 2004, 18:36

wow thanks again Victor
This is great! This forum is so helpful. It feels good to know there are others with similar interests. None of my friends or associates care about history at all.

Thanks again

AJK

Post by AJK » 25 Dec 2004, 18:11

Hi!

You can find a number of photos of Hungarian Generals on the following thread in this Forum:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=21494

Also, there is a book published in Hungary, entitled "A Magyar Katonai Felsö Vezetés" authored by Sándor Szakály (publisher: Ister) which contains biographical details, and in most cases also photos, of all Hungary's Generals in WWII.

AJK

ordoprinceps

Post by ordoprinceps » 26 Dec 2004, 02:40

This is fabulous! Thanks very much!

dibo

Post by dibo » 27 Dec 2004, 22:04

Hmm, I think I have some poor quality photoes remaining of Romanian generals, from my work for the Hearts of Iron. Let me see:

General de Brigada (1943) Vasile Pascu
Attachments
Pascu_Vasile.JPG
Pascu_Vasile.JPG (140.14 KiB) Viewed 1393 times

Aswan_Raafat

Post by Aswan_Raafat » 27 Dec 2004, 22:06

Thanks for the very interesting informations about Romanian generals.

By the way, as I can see, some of them are wearing Polish orders :
- Lt-general Corneliu Dragalina has Polonia Restituta 2nd Class and Virtuti Militari 4th class
- Brig. general Radu Korne has Virtuti Militari
etc.

I wonder if those soldiers continued to wear those polish decorations in the face of their German allies, or even on the Eastern Front. As, for exemple, Radu Korne fought around Sevastopol...

dibo

Post by dibo » 27 Dec 2004, 22:08

General de Corp de Armata Gheorghe Stavrescu
Attachments
Stavrescu_Gheorghe.jpg
Stavrescu_Gheorghe.jpg (156.58 KiB) Viewed 1386 times

Victor

Post by Victor » 28 Dec 2004, 10:29

Aswan_Raafat wrote: I wonder if those soldiers continued to wear those polish decorations in the face of their German allies, or even on the Eastern Front. As, for exemple, Radu Korne fought around Sevastopol...
The photo of Radu Korne is taken probably sometimes after 1943. But he is not wearing the requlamentary uniform (I believe it his old rosior parade uniform) and it is just for the photoshoot. In the photos I have seen with him on the front in 1942 (as colonel) he isn't wearing even the Mihai Viteazul Order 3rd class. I have also seen a photo of him at a party, talking to some German pilots, where he is wearing only the Knight's Cross or another photo with a German general, where he is wearing only the two Iron Crosses and the Knight's Cross.
The same for Dragalina. In the photo I have seen with him on the front he isn't wearing anything, but in a photo of a hunt together with gen. Avramescu he is wearing the Knight's Cross.
The answer is no, they only wore the the Mihai Viteazul Order 3rd class or German decorations, as those were generaly won on the front, unlike other awards received during peacetime.

Aswan_Raafat

Post by Aswan_Raafat » 28 Dec 2004, 15:04

VERY greatful thanks for the information, Victor.

Were the Mihai Viteazul Orders worn on the frontline (instead of some others not worn) because there is something special in this award, like an *obligation* to wear it all the time, even in the combat conditions ?

Or was it just because this order were awarded there ?

/I ask, because I think that, for exemple, polish soldiers could take out all their decorations during combat, except the Vitruti Militari, the one that they had to keep ALL the time./

ordoprinceps

German awards

Post by ordoprinceps » 28 Dec 2004, 17:11

Victor,
Were Romanian soldiers ever awared German awards? Were there any who earned the nights cross? LAst waht was the higest award for bravery in battle for Romanians?

I fgure if anyone would know it would be you.

Victor

Post by Victor » 28 Dec 2004, 17:35

The Mihai Viteazul Order was (and, from several years ago when it was reintroduced, is) the highest Romanian military order for officers and some even wore it probably every day, including on the front, simply because they were proud of it. There was no obligation to wear it all the time, especially since it would make the officer a preferred target for an enemy sniper.

ordoprinceps, if you are interested in other generals I could post their photos if I can find them.

ordoprinceps

Post by ordoprinceps » 28 Dec 2004, 17:45

Yes I am, thanks you are a great help!
Do you know about recipients of the German KNights cross?

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”