Romanian most succesful action

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
johnny_bi

Romanian most succesful action

Post by johnny_bi » 14 Sep 2002 09:12

Which was the most succesful romanian action during the WWII , especially on the Eastern Front ?

Victor

Post by Victor » 14 Sep 2002 10:39

Do you mean, entirely Romanian success? or you would settle for a German-Romanian successfull cooperation?

Victor

Post by Victor » 14 Sep 2002 12:21

Probably the most successful 100% Romanian action was the push throught bessarabia and N Bukovina and the capture of Odessa. Simply because it was practically the only Romanian operation. In rest, the Romanian troops were subordinated to German command.

However, I would like to underline some of these. My "favorite" is the action of the Groddek Motorized Brigade during Operation Trappenjagd: the Battle of Kerch. This brigade was made up of two Romanian motorized regiments (the col. Korne Detachment) and several German motorized companies, but commanded by a German colonel (Groddek). Groddek was severely wounded and had to leave the command to col. Korne who leads the brigade just south of Kerch, closing the bag. This brigade and the Fliegerkorps VIII made victory possible as Manstein himself underlined it. Over 162,000 Soviet casualties resulted (mostly prisoners).

Another notable action was also the one carried out during the second siege on Sevastopol, by the Mountain Corps and 4th Mountain Division. There are also the defensive battles in the Taman peninsula, but those were not victories.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 14 Sep 2002 18:36

I think for me the actions at Odessa, though bloody, and on the Taman peninsula are good examples of Romanian fighting spirit.

:D Andy from the Shire

johnny_bi

romanian officers

Post by johnny_bi » 16 Sep 2002 07:12

How the the performance of romanian soldiers while they had a german leadership compared to romanian leadership ... Which was the difference between romanian and german officers ... I saw the casualties from battle of Odessa and romanians had big casualties compared to soviets . :cry:
The romanian troups performed better while under romanian leadership ?

weiwensg

Romanian success

Post by weiwensg » 16 Sep 2002 15:23

I think it was the successful production and delivery of supplies to the German war effort. Hitler couldn't have carried the war without them. Luckily for him, they guarded Ploesti well.

Victor

Re: romanian officers

Post by Victor » 16 Sep 2002 20:54

johnny_bi wrote:How the the performance of romanian soldiers while they had a german leadership compared to romanian leadership ... Which was the difference between romanian and german officers ... I saw the casualties from battle of Odessa and romanians had big casualties compared to soviets . :cry:
The romanian troups performed better while under romanian leadership ?
You shouldn't imagine that there were German officers everytwhere running the show! There were still Romanian ones. But the high command (army group/army general staff) was German. It also had support from specialized German troops.
At Odessa the lack of Romanian specialized assault pioneers or assault aircraft was very costly. Also the fact that the elite Romanian units were fighting on the Dnieper then. Only the Guard and the Frontier-guard Divsions were at Odessa. The rest were common infantry divisions, of which many did not have officers with much initiative or tactical knowledge. The Soviet defences were powerful and defended with determination. However, an almost 2:1 casualty ratio in an assault on a fortified postion, without proper air and naval support (the Soviets could supply their troops without too much problem over sea)

Victor

Re: Romanian success

Post by Victor » 16 Sep 2002 20:55

weiwensg wrote:I think it was the successful production and delivery of supplies to the German war effort. Hitler couldn't have carried the war without them. Luckily for him, they guarded Ploesti well.
He was interested in successful actions. The defenses of Ploesti were eventually overcome.

johnny_bi

Post by johnny_bi » 17 Sep 2002 09:07

which were the lessons learnt by romanians after the Battle of Odessa ?

BI

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”