Croatian Ambassadors & liason men

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
paolosilv

Re: Croatian Ambassadors & liason men

Post by paolosilv » 02 Oct 2011, 09:59

Mit ihrem zweiten Mann, dem kroatischen Diplomaten **Branko Buzjak, emigrierte sie 1944 über Dänemark und Schweden nach Argentinien.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Thiele

Dr Eisvogel

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 02 Oct 2011, 22:19

paolosilv wrote:Mit ihrem zweiten Mann, dem kroatischen Diplomaten **Branko Buzjak, emigrierte sie 1944 über Dänemark und Schweden nach Argentinien.

Allen Milcic wrote:(part II):
- Branko Buzjak: Security Services Attache at the NDH Embassy in Germany;
Buzjak, Branko, policeman and diplomat (born in: Zagreb, December 8th, 1912 - died in: ???). Son of a well-known baker from Nova ves quarter in Zagreb; married German actress Herta (sic!) Thiele. Before establishment of the NDH he lived in Paris, and from 1941 to 1945 (sic!) he was the Croatian police attache at the NDH embassy in Berlin. He was a person of the utmost trust of the Ustashe officials (E. Kvaternik, V. Pećnikar, I. Herenčić and others) and of SS, that is the Chief of the SS Main Office and Himmler's first assistant Gottlob Berger (who was his [Buzjak's] best man at the wedding). In 1942 he was suspended from his duty due to a conflict with M. Lorković, the then foreign minister. Buzjak handed over to SS some material about M. Lorković (that he was hiding the wife of P. Gregorić, one of Croatian communist leaders, at his house on Tuškanac hill). Buzjak then requested the German citizenship. With the help of Gottlob Berger he was reliable provider of the weapons and military equipment for police and army. In the beginning of April of 1945 he left his duty and went with his wife and children to Denmark. After five years he settled in Buenos Aires, where he died. Author: Mato Rupić, Tko je tko u NDH, Zagreb, 1997, pp. 61-62

Gottlob Berger was Buzjak's best man at the wedding with Thiele?

paolosilv

Post by paolosilv » 16 Oct 2011, 09:25

Thanks!

Paolosilv

Ian Sayer

Post by Ian Sayer » 17 Dec 2011, 17:40

I've just come across this document which I have had since 1984. It features the signatures of foreign diplomats who were signifying their condolences in response to Hitler's death. The document was signed at Bad Gastein on the 3rd May 1945. This is the second page. It appears to have been signed by 6 representatives of the Croatian State including , I think, Dr Milan Blazekovic. Can anybody help with the others by any chance?
Regards
Ian
Attachments
img874.jpg

Dr Eisvogel

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 26 Jan 2012, 21:42

Ian Sayer wrote:I've just come across this document which I have had since 1984. It features the signatures of foreign diplomats who were signifying their condolences in response to Hitler's death. The document was signed at Bad Gastein on the 3rd May 1945. This is the second page. It appears to have been signed by 6 representatives of the Croatian State including , I think, Dr Milan Blazekovic. Can anybody help with the others by any chance?
Regards
Ian
Dear Mr. Sayer,

Alongside Dr. Milan Blažeković, who as "Legationssekretaer" seems to be replacing the Ambassador (der Gesandte) the only name I can clearly read is Vjekoslav Ivanković. His title is "oberministerialrat", a German title which is misspelled. It should be "Oberministerialrat" with capital O, if my German is correct.

I expect that he might be a person known as "Lojzek" (nickname for people called Vjekoslav) Ivanković. If he is, he served at an influential post In Zagreb.

Regarding the others, unfortunately I can't read their names, so I suggest, since the document is in German, to open the topic in "Breaking the Sound Barrier" section. Once you get the list of the names I can look further.

I apologize for slow reaction.

If you need a short biography of Milan Blažeković I can translate it from "Who is who in NDH".

Best regards,
Eisvogel

Johaaanan

Post by Johaaanan » 10 Feb 2012, 01:10

Dr Eisvogel wrote:
paolosilv wrote:Mit ihrem zweiten Mann, dem kroatischen Diplomaten **Branko Buzjak, emigrierte sie 1944 über Dänemark und Schweden nach Argentinien.

Allen Milcic wrote:(part II):
- Branko Buzjak: Security Services Attache at the NDH Embassy in Germany;
Buzjak, Branko, policeman and diplomat (born in: Zagreb, December 8th, 1912 - died in: ???). Son of a well-known baker from Nova ves quarter in Zagreb; married German actress Herta (sic!) Thiele. Before establishment of the NDH he lived in Paris, and from 1941 to 1945 (sic!) he was the Croatian police attache at the NDH embassy in Berlin. He was a person of the utmost trust of the Ustashe officials (E. Kvaternik, V. Pećnikar, I. Herenčić and others) and of SS, that is the Chief of the SS Main Office and Himmler's first assistant Gottlob Berger (who was his [Buzjak's] best man at the wedding). In 1942 he was suspended from his duty due to a conflict with M. Lorković, the then foreign minister. Buzjak handed over to SS some material about M. Lorković (that he was hiding the wife of P. Gregorić, one of Croatian communist leaders, at his house on Tuškanac hill). Buzjak then requested the German citizenship. With the help of Gottlob Berger he was reliable provider of the weapons and military equipment for police and army. In the beginning of April of 1945 he left his duty and went with his wife and children to Denmark. After five years he settled in Buenos Aires, where he died. Author: Mato Rupić, Tko je tko u NDH, Zagreb, 1997, pp. 61-62

Gottlob Berger was Buzjak's best man at the wedding with Thiele?
I believe her name was Charlotte ( http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Thiele, once more), but I have also seen an obituary for one Charlotte Thiele dated in 2009, not 2004 as stated there? Wiki confusing me as always.
Interesting, most of German sources ( not just wiki, :roll: ) provide info on her voyage with Buzjak to Denmark, and later Argentina, in 1944, which opposes the info about his April 1945 escape.
Also interesting, her comeback to Germany in 1954 might suggest that she was widowed at the time, could be a lead to the date of his death?

Respect,
Ivan
ubi me prejaka reč

Ian Sayer

Post by Ian Sayer » 11 Feb 2012, 18:49

Dear Dr Eisvogel,

Thank you for your comments. I would appreciate a biography of Milan Blažeković and also any information concerning Vjekoslav) Ivanković.

I will see if I can find anybody who can read the last four names. One is a Legation Secretary , one is some form of attache, the third one is a Senior Lieutenant who appears to sign for the 'W B S' and the last one seems to be a Consul of some sort.

Kind Regards
Ian

Dr Eisvogel

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 11 Feb 2012, 23:28

Ian Sayer wrote:Dear Dr Eisvogel,

Thank you for your comments. I would appreciate a biography of Milan Blažeković and also any information concerning Vjekoslav) Ivanković.

I will see if I can find anybody who can read the last four names. One is a Legation Secretary , one is some form of attache, the third one is a Senior Lieutenant who appears to sign for the 'W B S' and the last one seems to be a Consul of some sort.

Kind Regards
Ian
BLAŽEKOVIĆ, Milan, diplomat (Prozor, 23.X.1913). Son of Milan (Emilijan) and brother of Zdenko Blažeković. Finished Realgymnasium in 1932 in Osijek. Signs to Faculty of Law of the University of Zagreb the same year [1932] at which he became a doctor* in 1937. In academic year 1935/1936 he is the president of the "Club of the listeners of Law" [students club]. As an apprentice attorney at law he works in the offices of Stjepan Hefer and Ferdo Bošnjaković, and a year at district and county court in Osijek. With the establishment of Banovina of Croatia [in 1939] he leaves attorney at law's carreer and enters Public Prosecutor's Office [Državno pravobranilaštvo]; works in Novi Sad, Sarajevo and Zagreb. In NDH he is from 14.IV.1941 until 31.XII.1941 Secretary in the Ministry of Foreign Affirs, after which he was sent to specialize in Political Sciences at the University of Berlin. In the mid-1943 he was appointed secretary of the Croatian Embassy in Berlin and on that duty he stays until April of 1945. From 14.IV.1945 along with Embassy he is in Badgastein [Bad Gastein], where all the Embassies are moved from Berlin and he is chargé d'affaires. He is initially interned by the US occupation authorities and on 1.X.1945 he is sent to "Marcus W. Orr" Camp near Salzburg. Before Christmas 1947 he is released from the camp. In February 1948 he crossed on foot Brenner Mountain [Pass] and through Rome and Genova goes to Buenos Aires in April of 1948, where he is working on various jobs until the retirement in 1979. From 1952 he cooperates with Hrvatska revija (Croatian Review), from 1955 in Hrvatska misao (Croatian Thought) and other publications. In 1959 he cooperates in the establishment of the Croato-Latin American Cultural Institute and in launching Studia Croatica magazine in Spanish language. As a delegate plenipotentiary of the various organizations and societies from Argentina he participates in 1962 at the All-Croatian Congress in New York, where the first Croatian National Council (Hrvatsko narodno vijeće) was established. When in 1974 the attempt of All-Croatian gathering was renewed he partcipates at Assemblies of HNV in Toronto (1975), Brussels (1977) and London (1980), twice holding the post of the president of the Court of Honour. As he was particularly engaged in collecting the archival records about Croatian emigration he launches Croatian Emigrant Archive in 1991 and Library "Fra Lino D. Pedišić OFM". In spring of 1996 he returned to Homeland.
(Source: Tko je tko u NDH,1997, p.40, Author: Goran Ante Blažeković, economist, Zagreb)

*I don't know how to translate it precisely - it is Dr. iuris, but potential equivalents are PhD, JD, LL. D. If you can explain it, I could translate it more precisely.

Lojzek Ivanković managed to find job in 1941 for Marija Kvaternik (wife of Eugen "Dido" Kvaternik) in Personnel Office (Osobni ured) led by Vlado Singer, where she was transferred from the Presidency of the Government. That office was issuing certificates of Croatianness (certificates that somebody exposed Croatian national consciousness in Yugoslavia as opposed to Yugoslav national consciousness). These certificates were necessary, if somebody wanted employment in state service of the NDH and in theory a person couldn't get it, if it actively opposed the idea of the Croatian state during Kingdom of Yugoslavia.

Best regards,
Eisvogel

Dr Eisvogel

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 11 Feb 2012, 23:49

Btw, the Attaché might be Luka Fertilio, because he was supposed to be at that post at the time, although I don't see the resemblance between the signature of the attaché and name: Luka Fertilio.

Anyway, his biography:
FERTILIO, Luka, journalist and publisher (Nerežišća on Brač [island], 22.II.1903 - Santiago de Chile, 30.VI.1985). Graduated at the Faculty of Economy in Frankfurt. He entered journalism in 1928. In the beginning of 1930-ies he is correspondent from Vienna for Obzor (Horizon) and Jutarnji list (Morning Paper). Because of his contacts with Croatian political emigration - fired. From summer 1941 until 1945 Press Attaché in the NDH Embassy in Berlin. He was prepairing [to publish?] Croatian History in German. After the fall of NDH he escaped to Chile, he was Professor at Universidad Austral in Valdivia for almost 20 years. He wrote poems, essays and critiques; cooperated with Croatian Review (Hrvatska revija), Morning Star (Danica) and Croatian Nation (Hrvatski narod) as well as Studia Croatica in Spanish language.
(Source: Tko je tko u NDH, 1997, p. 113, Author: Josip Grbelja, journalist and publicist, Zagreb)

Best regards,
Eisvogel

Dr Eisvogel

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 12 Feb 2012, 00:10

Johaaanan wrote: I believe her name was Charlotte ( http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Thiele, once more), but I have also seen an obituary for one Charlotte Thiele dated in 2009, not 2004 as stated there? Wiki confusing me as always.
Interesting, most of German sources ( not just wiki, :roll: ) provide info on her voyage with Buzjak to Denmark, and later Argentina, in 1944, which opposes the info about his April 1945 escape.
Also interesting, her comeback to Germany in 1954 might suggest that she was widowed at the time, could be a lead to the date of his death?

Respect,
Ivan
Charlotte Thiele, geboren am 22. Juni 1918 in Berlin, dort gestorben am 6. Mai 2004.
Source: Die Welt http://www.welt.de/print-welt/article32 ... bbels.html

Charlotte Thiele, born June 22nd 1918 in Berlin, died there [in Berlin] on May 6th 2004.
Hrvatski su đaci 6.ožujka 1932.na sgradi zagrebačkog sveučilišta izvjesili 3.hrvatske zastave.

Tom su zgodom na sveučilištu nastale rodoljubne manifestacije.Nato je državno redarstvo po nalogu dra Janka Bedekovića provalilo u sveučilišnu zgradu, gdje je mnogo hrvatskih đaka uhitilo i vezalo, a zatim na zvjerski način zlostavljalo. Tom je zgodom bio teško ozlijeđen rodoljubni sveučilištarac Branko Buzjak.
http://ustaskipokret.com/zrtve-mainmenu ... -1932.html

Translation:
Branko Buzjak participated in student demonstration on March 6th 1932, when the students put three Croatian flags on the University building in Zagreb. Afterwards he was heavily injured by the policemen acting on orders of dr. Janko Bedeković who arrested and bestially tortured the students.

Best regards,
Eisvogel

Dr Eisvogel

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 12 Feb 2012, 00:29

Additional information about Milan Blažeković:

Finished Elementary School in Sarajevo.

In April War of 1941 he was Sub-Lieutenant in the 1st Battalion of the 41st Infantry Regiment, Royal Yugoslav Army in Baranya.

In Ministry of Foreign Affairs he was personal secretary of Mladen Lorković.

Blažeković was present when NDH was signing the Triplartite Pact in Venice.

He was confined in a hotel in Badgastein, held in Glasenbach Camp and "War Crimes Detention Camp Marcus W. Orr" near Salzburg.

After his release in 1947 he worked in the US "Post Exchange" in Salzburg. He fled to Italy in 1948, when he heard that the police in Vienna issued a warrant to arrest him.

He died in 1998.

Source: Interview with him and list of collaborators in Studia Croatica.
http://www.studiacroatica.org/studia/studia_idx.htm

Best regards,
Eisvogel

Dr Eisvogel

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 12 Feb 2012, 00:48

Johaaanan wrote: I believe her name was Charlotte ( http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Thiele, once more), but I have also seen an obituary for one Charlotte Thiele dated in 2009, not 2004 as stated there? Wiki confusing me as always.

Respect,
Ivan
What you saw was probably the obituary of one Charlotte Busch married Thiele. She was born in 1924 and died in 2010.
http://www.sz-trauer.de/images/34/73/42 ... 1277042043

Buzjak and Thiele had at least one daughter - Alexandra, who had at least one daughter Gertrude who had at least one child Alexis.

Regards,
Eisvogel

Johaaanan

Post by Johaaanan » 12 Feb 2012, 01:33

Dr Eisvogel wrote:

Respect,
Ivan
What you saw was probably the obituary of one Charlotte Busch married Thiele. She was born in 1924 and died in 2010.
http://www.sz-trauer.de/images/34/73/42 ... 1277042043

Buzjak and Thiele had at least one daughter - Alexandra, who had at least one daughter Gertrude who had at least one child Alexis.

Regards,
Eisvogel
Without any intention to spam the thread, seems it was the third one after all, with a similar birth date though.
http://www.sz-trauer.de/4194942

Respect,
Ivan
ubi me prejaka reč

Ian Sayer

Post by Ian Sayer » 12 Feb 2012, 13:52

Dear Dr Eisvogel
Thank you for supplying all this information
KIndest Regards
Ian

ZDRUG

Post by ZDRUG » 17 Feb 2012, 06:23

maxpower wrote:I'm looking for NDH ambassadors abroad I'm sorry for not being more clear
Can anyone help me?
In Sydney (1984/5) I met the Croat who have a photo taken with the Croatian NDH ambassador from Japan.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”