My father fought in WW2 for Hungary

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Agrarian Hungarian

Post by Agrarian Hungarian » 24 Apr 2006, 12:06

I know its very improbable, but since I see alot of people from Hungary with detailed information on the Hungarian Army, I'm going to try and find out whether anyone knew my father who fought in the Hungarian armed forces from 1938-1945. Unfortunately my dad passed away in 1996 and we didn't ask him the type of questions that I would love to ask him now.

His name was Laszlo Ungvary and he was from Szeged. He was born in May 1920 and before the war was an actor in the Hungarian national Theater. He was a damn good chess player - I never saw him lose a game! He joined the Hungarian armed forces in 1938 and he may have been in the Paratrooper group for a while. I know he was injured ( shot in the hand and leg) and at some point might have been transferred to the Infantry. I am not sure of this, but I do know he fought alot of battles against Soviet forces and told me lots of stories of the terrible , biting cold and terrible conditions. I think is rank may have been Lieutentant or Captain. He also told me that he was fairly sure that he was the only surviving person in his battalion...I just don't know which one it was...

After the war, Hungary was not a good place for an ex-soldier who had battled against the Soviets, so in 1949 he escaped through Austria and walked to Naples. I found an old diary of his recently which strongly suggested he may have been involved in some type of post war resistance activity in 1948/49.

I can send an old photo of him by email to anyone who thinks they may have known him. I am trying to piece together which Army group he might have been with and have also contacted the Hungarian Military archives to see if they have any information about him as well as the MHBK.

I really appreciate hearing from any old comrades or anyone who has any advice on how to track down information on ex-Hungarian soldiers.

Thanks and best regards,

Géza Árbocz

Minor Axis Nations » My father fought in WW2 for Hungary

Post by Géza Árbocz » 29 Apr 2006, 02:44

HI Agrarian,
Do you Hungarian?
I ask it because at the Hungarian Defense site you can try to get your father military records.
Ì`m at the home of my daughter so I can not inform you just now the correct adress of this site, but at Tuesday I`ll be back to my house and then I`ll provide it to you.
In case you may need some help with the Hungarian language I can provide it.
Have a good time, Geza

Agrarian Hungarian

Post by Agrarian Hungarian » 30 Apr 2006, 01:43

Thank so much for that information. But unfortunately I do not speak Hungarian. Do you have the website address? If there is some way you could let me the know the key areas on the website that I need to click on, I might be able to do it myself to save you the bother.

In your experience is the Hungarian defense ministry website quite accurate and has most records or are there many missing?

Thanks again for yopur help,

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”