german wristwatch

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Oxlenstein

Re: german wristwatch

Postby Oxlenstein » 13 Jan 2011 15:58

DayBoy - I'm glad I was able to help! I got a beige colored band from Fossil for free, and it looks great! I tried to post some pictures, but they didn't show up too well. Fossil watches have proven themselves time and time again. They are great timepiece and I absolutely love mine. Take care and enjoy your Fossil watch.

Van der Waal

Postby Van der Waal » 13 Jan 2011 19:12

I wear a vintage 'Ogival' brand watch at events. Its quite classy.

stroodle

Postby stroodle » 15 Jan 2011 05:01

Yes van der waal, you are the poster boy for GQ in the 3rd Reich!

Dienstuhr

Postby Dienstuhr » 19 Jan 2013 19:07

I know this thread has been cold for a year; but, I can give some depth to the pocket watch issue. Absolutely, yes, they carried pocket watches. Wristwatches were also worn in high numbers. Both were issued and also privately purchased. If you want to try to imitate "issue" pocket watches, the US equivalent is a 16 size or Swiss 19.5 ligne. The standard time only was with radium hands dial markers and a sub-second position seconds. My mint example has a gun-metal case which is factory blacked. If I get time I'll post a couple of pictures if I make it to the bank.

Also, many of the pocket watches were family pieces dating into the late 1800's. Same as Americans, you carried what was available to you. I have never bought an allied issue watch from a German veteran and never asked why it is not so. I'm not convinced that watches cross as easily to Germany as they do to the US. One must remember that American troops were known as the second worst magpies next to the British.

eldar1

Postby eldar1 » 28 Mar 2013 06:52

Check out zib-militaria.de .in the gear section they have a couple of nice repro's of wristwatches.

metzger76

Postby metzger76 » 25 May 2013 20:25

"Liberated" is lame. Yes, we've all heard, read and know of stories of captured time pieces, but this is about portraying a German soldier, and it is a slippery slope to rationalize wearing 'captured' goods

What's next? captured side-arms? shaving kits? Slippery slope

Did all American's have wrist watches? No.
Did the average German even interact with an American prisoner or dead American? No
Therefore, the odds of running across an American that wasn't shooting at you and who owns a watch was slim.

If you were lucky enough to have a watch, it would likely be a German watch.

also, steer clear of anything that indicates/displays the day or date. This will be tricky because most modern watches have a day/date display.

You can find old ex-DDR watches that look the part and won't cost an arm and a leg.

Ebusitanus

Postby Ebusitanus » 05 Jul 2017 12:31

Hello,
I just bought a nice German/Swiss ARSA timepiece from the Ukraine. Aside not having the much sought after DH on the backside everything else is there.
When it finally arrived I set about changing the modern wristband it came with. I noticed that the size of the band could be no bigger than 15mm. The odd thing is that another German Junghans watch I have from the war has a 18mm wristband size. I asked around and a friend of mine and fellow reenactor stated that the 15mm ones were specially for young cadets. I found this very odd since in about everything else the look of the watch is completely in line with the typical german war watch specs.

Did such a differentiation exist? Or its simple wristband differences for a completly normal Dienstuhr?

IMG-20170705-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170704-WA0023.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Reenactment”