German Chaplain Questions

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Euro

German Chaplain Questions

Post by Euro » 22 Sep 2012, 15:55

Hello fellow reenactors, I have a question for you guys.
(esp. if anyone does a German Catholic Chaplain impression)

What did you use/where did you find your cases that carried all of the mass supplies? As a catholic chaplain, they differed slightly from the protestant one, but I'm just curious where one can be found in general.

Also, winter gear, before I drop money into buying my winter gear, what would you guys suggest getting as very basic winder uniform supplies? I have one picture around here that I know the poor chaplains freezing his butt off and is wearing the white coverall so thats on the options list persay.

landser32

Re: German Chaplain Questions

Post by landser32 » 24 Sep 2012, 06:34

Search old posts here on the subject. I do remember quite a few years ago,m there was a chap here that did a bang up impression of a WH chaplain on the ostfront with even original WH issued sacraments making up part of the impression if I remember correctly.

Euro

Post by Euro » 24 Sep 2012, 19:46

landser32 wrote:Search old posts here on the subject. I do remember quite a few years ago,m there was a chap here that did a bang up impression of a WH chaplain on the ostfront with even original WH issued sacraments making up part of the impression if I remember correctly.
Trying to find him and I think I have, though unsure if his impression is Catholic or protestant. Oh well, getting on messaging him anyway to see if it works out. :]

eldar1

Post by eldar1 » 26 Mar 2013, 07:23

Euro ,I couldn't find any info on what you need .However i did find something interesting.In the book" German army uniforms and insignia 1933 to 1945 by Brian L Davis"ISBN 0-688-04318-0 on pages137 to 140 ,they describe the field uniform ,frock coat and great coat as to be worn by the Heer clergy.

SMIDSY

Post by SMIDSY » 27 Mar 2013, 01:51

Normal Heer insignia for an officer. All chaplains are officers, but have no real authority other than over other religious personnel.
Piping is purple and there is a crucifix on the front of the visor cap.

Euro

Post by Euro » 25 Dec 2013, 23:41

SMIDSY wrote:Normal Heer insignia for an officer. All chaplains are officers, but have no real authority other than over other religious personnel.
Oh man, I know this is necromancing an old board, but I simply must say how happy this made me XD @SMIDSY, I knew I should have posted pictures, but that picture is of my own chaplain impression XD

Bigtoss

Post by Bigtoss » 31 Jan 2017, 17:34

Euro wrote:
SMIDSY wrote:Normal Heer insignia for an officer. All chaplains are officers, but have no real authority other than over other religious personnel.
Oh man, I know this is necromancing an old board, but I simply must say how happy this made me XD @SMIDSY, I knew I should have posted pictures, but that picture is of my own chaplain impression XD
You said you can make your own I am looking for 2 chaplain arm bands can you help

cinderjoe

Post by cinderjoe » 30 Oct 2019, 16:03

I am sure this is an old thread. I am a German Reenactor Catholic Chaplain. There are some differences in the two types of Chaplains in the German military of WW 2. Evangelical and Catholic had different insignia. The Crosses they wore were also different. They wore no rank per say except the Officer Tunic. No Shoulder boards either. They had no authority , except that of a Pastor /Priest. Rank was equal to Oberst. There were on Chaplains in the Luftwaffe or the Waffen SS. Many of the Chaplains were older and possibly also in WW 1. I wear a EK 2 ribbon from WW 1 in my Tunic
I am also a Deacon in the Catholic Church, which helps with my Impression as a Chaplain.

Return to “Reenactment”