Reproduction Pre/Early-War SS tabs

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Holz

Reproduction Pre/Early-War SS tabs

Post by Holz » 16 Jun 2007, 01:53

Does anyone know where one can pick up set of officers's collar tabs for pre/early war Deutschland, Germania or Der Fuhrer regiments. I found some that are listed as officer's on militaria-net

http://militaria-net.co.uk/oscommerce/c ... Ectabs.jpg

The problem with these one is that, as far as I know the black and white twist is enlisted or am I off on that? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

El Shane

Post by El Shane » 16 Jun 2007, 03:09

I checked my Osprey book on divisions 1-5 of the Waffen SS, and it doesn't really say much about the twisted braids; the only mention I found was the caption for one the illustrations which says "both collar and collar patches were edged with black and aluminium twist cord for all enlisted ranks..." which lends credence to them being for enlisted men only, IMHO.
Last edited by El Shane on 16 Jun 2007, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

Schnert

Post by Schnert » 16 Jun 2007, 03:46

If you're planning on tailoring a fine pre-war uniform, then you'll want to contact Cyrus at http://www.soldatfhq.com in order to inquire if he has any officer quality aluminum wire collar tabs with twisted silver piping (black and silver twist for EM/NCO ranks who have passed their probationary period and silver twist for officers).

If you are badging up Spearhead's current pre-war M37 Feldbluse, then you will want to go with Bill Krupper's collar tabs. You can view his wares at http://www.ww2px.com. You may not find them listed on his website, but he does stock them in both officer and EM/NCO versions. Send him an e-mail and ask for a quote. They're not as nice as Cyrus' stuff, but they will work for a Spearhead tunic.

If those leads don't work out, check with Ray or Ed at http://www.lostbattalions.com. I received some great SSVT EM/NCO collar tabs from them last year. I'm not certain where they sourced them, but they were good. The thread even gave off that faint "purple" hue that the originals exhibit when examined from different angles, and the backing was perfect.

Wilibald

Re: Reproduction Pre/Early-War SS tabs

Post by Wilibald » 16 Jun 2007, 14:05

Holz wrote:Does anyone know where one can pick up set of officers's collar tabs for pre/early war Deutschland, Germania or Der Fuhrer regiments. I found some that are listed as officer's on militaria-net
Thanks.
The black and silver twisted cord versions can also be found for a good price at:

http://militarytour.com/Reproductions/W ... /SS/SS.htm

I have one set and they are as good as Cyrus' version of the same (which I also have used). However I would recommend that you stay away from Doug's (military tour) Allgemeine shoulder boards... for good quality/low price, visit Bill at RZMsupply.com.

Wili

Wilibald

Post by Wilibald » 16 Jun 2007, 14:20

Schnert wrote: If you are badging up Spearhead's current pre-war M37 Feldbluse, then you will want to go with Bill Krupper's collar tabs. You can view his wares at http://www.ww2px.com. You may not find them listed on his website, but he does stock them in both officer and EM/NCO versions. Send him an e-mail and ask for a quote. They're not as nice as Cyrus' stuff, but they will work for a Spearhead tunic.
Well Schnert, if someone's want to badge up a Spearhead M1937...euh... well... Am I about to say "useless"? ;) *lol* REALLY... never invest in such an horror unless they improved it by 5000%... Probably one of their worst attempt EVER!

Wili

CaptZak

Spearhead M37

Post by CaptZak » 16 Jun 2007, 14:33

5000%??? Aside from the sleeves & skirt needing a good shortening, what else is wrong with it?

Wilibald

Post by Wilibald » 16 Jun 2007, 15:40

Believe me Zak: been there done that... ;)

Well, I received one as a gift months ago (I reviewed it back then...search the forum) and had all the needed time to examine it... If some of Spearhead's uniforms are ''ok'' - depending on what you are looking for - the M1937 was a disaster.

Basically each and everything is wrong on their M37: from wool color/weight/weave up to the shape of collar, space between buttons, shape od the sleeves, shape and position of the lower pocket flaps, ''disco'' piping and general cut/fit.

They are so wrong that after receiving my emails along with instructions and pictures/patterns of an actual M37, they decided to retrieve it from their Ebay listing, saying that their "research department" was going to come out with an improved and accurate version...one day.

In fact, a quick look at a real M37 should be sufficient to spot all of Spearhead's flaws within seconds.

Wili

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 16 Jun 2007, 18:56

philsmilitaria.com has some black/silver twist cord collar tabs i used for my schwarzrock, ask him he has them but i believe in straight schutze rank, i added pips on mine, was happy with them.

Schnert

Post by Schnert » 16 Jun 2007, 19:51

Wilibald wrote:
Schnert wrote: If you are badging up Spearhead's current pre-war M37 Feldbluse, then you will want to go with Bill Krupper's collar tabs. You can view his wares at http://www.ww2px.com. You may not find them listed on his website, but he does stock them in both officer and EM/NCO versions. Send him an e-mail and ask for a quote. They're not as nice as Cyrus' stuff, but they will work for a Spearhead tunic.
Well Schnert, if someone's want to badge up a Spearhead M1937...euh... well... Am I about to say "useless"? ;) *lol* REALLY... never invest in such an horror unless they improved it by 5000%... Probably one of their worst attempt EVER!

Wili
You're on the mark! I tried to re-hab one of those Spearhead M37's a few months ago for... well... er... actually partying with my insane cohorts. (I frankly didn't want to ruin my LB M37 SSVT set with spilled beer, bile, body fluids and goat's blood. :? ) As a tailor I'm almost ashamed to admit that rehabbing it (installing the correct partial lining, fixing the pockets, reworking the flaps, switching out the buttons, correctly conturing the lapels, installing the correct lapel flaps and buttons, shortening the skirt, adjusting the darts, removing the integral belt hook loops, etc.) involved investing more time and energy than I wished to waste. So I procured some whiz bang neato boards, tabs and a cuff title from Bill Krupper along with an early bird from ATF and some black/silver gimp from philsmilitaria and before long I had a pretty crappy fancy dress costume.

Holz

Post by Holz » 18 Jun 2007, 05:46

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm looking at officer tabs, probably go with SS1 tabs and "Deutschland" cuff title.

Schnert

Post by Schnert » 18 Jun 2007, 13:39

Fine choice indeed! I see we have another Schwaben.

willie777

Post by willie777 » 28 Oct 2007, 02:45

Doues anyone know where to get double blank tabs (SD) but with the black and white twisty gimp cord? I wont state my intentions, but its not to be a skinhead, or a farb.

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 29 Oct 2007, 14:15

philsmilitaria.com had some twist cord blanks, i bought a set off him of the early ssvt piped tabs, email him, they're in his catalogue but not his site. a couple of guys in our group are working on ssvt Deutschland impressions, with m37s, a nice look.

Trench_Raider

Post by Trench_Raider » 31 Oct 2007, 02:39

willie777 wrote:Doues anyone know where to get double blank tabs (SD) but with the black and white twisty gimp cord? I wont state my intentions, but its not to be a skinhead, or a farb.
Hehe...
Are you perchance building an SD-Einsatzgruppen impression for Halloween?
Hey, don't knock the idea! After all aren't you supposed to be something monsterous and scary at Halloween? :P

Of course not too many people at any party you attend are going to get the reference, but what the heck?

But anyway, thanks for the source, Drew. I'm been thinking about building an SD uniform for those anti-patisan events that occasionaly pop up.
Now I just need to find some "toxic green" piped boards.

"Trench Raider"

Holz

Post by Holz » 31 Oct 2007, 02:56

I eventually found the tabs I was looking for. I went through the infamous Kommander Scotty. It took almost a month for him to ship them to me, but I got what I was looking for:

Return to “Reenactment”