Who makes the best Jackboots?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Wilhelm Stulenger

Post by Wilhelm Stulenger » 01 Jan 2008, 05:01

May I also add to this question "Who makes the best lowboots?" ?

nihil

Post by nihil » 01 Jan 2008, 06:25

The expensive ones sold by Richard Underwood :) Same maker as the jackboots. A member of my unit have had his for two years now, and have only had a few hobnails fail him, and the terrain is Sweden (rocks, rocks and yet more rocks, prepare for absolute torture of feet and footwear).
Sadly I mistreated mine the first several momths, so the leather dried out too much, and as a consequence i lost a few hobs, but after i switched to a better leather fat brand, no further problems. I have had mine for 3 years soon.

MeatGrinder

Post by MeatGrinder » 01 Jan 2008, 22:34

My Tom Mattimore jackboots were custom made for my feet. They were comfortable right out of the box. I don't know how anyone would get "big ankles" from him. I had to trace my feet, measure around my ankles, and my calves.
He doesn't use the correct hob nails though. He says they fall out too easy. But I'll take fit and comfort over correct hob nails any day.
I hated my ATF boots. They didn't fit correctly at all. Those should sell for $50 max.

nihil

Post by nihil » 01 Jan 2008, 22:59

Of course he says that, otherwise he wouldn't get anyone to buy his incorrect products ;)

Dare Furor

Post by Dare Furor » 02 Jan 2008, 01:29

MeatGrinder wrote:My Tom Mattimore jackboots were custom made for my feet. They were comfortable right out of the box. I don't know how anyone would get "big ankles" from him. I had to trace my feet, measure around my ankles, and my calves.
He doesn't use the correct hob nails though. He says they fall out too easy. But I'll take fit and comfort over correct hob nails any day.
I hated my ATF boots. They didn't fit correctly at all. Those should sell for $50 max.
In all fairness to Mattimore, the images on the site are just the boot, so it appears to me that the ankle is a bit large. But if he had you do all those measurements, I have a bit more confidence.

So pick your poison: correct hobnails that fall out (and then we complain about shoddy craftsmanship), or incorrect hobnails that don't (and then we complain that they're incorrect).
landser32 wrote:My jacks and low boots are both from Grigsby, and the only thing I ever did for them was "tune" them up with wood pegged soles and real hobs/toe taps and they still fit and feel when worn like a German glove, and are still going strong, 4 years later.
soldat18 wrote:If you are going for the shark nose, stay away from Grigsby's. I bought a pair a long time ago and they were modern round toes. ...Best would be SSroom (they look big around calves though) or LB's from what I've seen.
So landser32 bought his four years ago, and soldat18 bought his "a long time ago." I am apprehensive about SSroom for some of the same reasons as I am Mattimore. I not so sure about Grigsby now. See what you've started cruff?

SSroom doesn't offer half-sizes. Mattimore does. SSroom shows pebble-grained leather...what's the real story on that? After all, they had pebbled ammo pouches and map cases. Can pebbled boots be correct?
Mattimore's images are rather small and dark, but they offer two different widths. SSroom's boots are on sale for $200 with hobnails, Mattimore's are $210 without.

Mattimore has my size, and the price is right, but I can't tell enough from the images. SSroom has good images, and having done the vonegar & steel wool dying, I like that SSroom's boots aren't jet black.

Good hobnails are pricey. The ATF boots came with 90 (45 per boot). Then they have to be attached by someone with the proper tools and experience.

I am not happy with my ATF boots, and I'd ultimately like two pair of boots and one pair of lowboots (and then there's 1WW). For now I'm going to watch and wait.

Cheers,

Dare Furor
<uuuUkuuu>

Wilhelm Stulenger

Post by Wilhelm Stulenger » 02 Jan 2008, 02:21

Could those who own some of Tom's boots please post some detailed photos?

soldat18

Post by soldat18 » 02 Jan 2008, 19:45

Dare Furor wrote:So landser32 bought his four years ago, and soldat18 bought his "a long time ago." I am apprehensive about SSroom for some of the same reasons as I am Mattimore. I not so sure about Grigsby now. See what you've started cruff?

SSroom doesn't offer half-sizes. Mattimore does. SSroom shows pebble-grained leather...what's the real story on that? After all, they had pebbled ammo pouches and map cases. Can pebbled boots be correct?
Mattimore's images are rather small and dark, but they offer two different widths. SSroom's boots are on sale for $200 with hobnails, Mattimore's are $210 without.
I bought my Grigsby's about 3 years ago, and looked exactly like the ones on his site. I didn't know much about round vs shark toes until I saw how modern looking they are compared to originals. They would be really good if not for that.

Yes, the pebble grain is not correct on SSroom boots, as originals were smooth. I'm sure some variation existed though. LB's are as pebble grain so go figure.

LexLothar

Post by LexLothar » 02 Jan 2008, 20:15

I'm afraid I must disagree with the comments on the Grigsby jackboots. I will admit that initially the toe was rather boxy on mine, yet after about 25 events with them, they are very flat and have lost all of the boxiness as before. They are not 100% "shark nose", like LB or ATF, but they do look very very good. I will post a picture of mine later for everyone to see :).

Leibstandarte_reenactor

Post by Leibstandarte_reenactor » 03 Jan 2008, 00:08

Mattimore will make boots 100% custom to your foot, ankle and calves if they too big in anyway it's because you did not measure yourself right.

Dieter

Post by Dieter » 03 Jan 2008, 00:22

How long does it usually take to get Tom's custom-made boots? I ordered a pair back in mid-October (w/o hobnails and heel irons).

MeatGrinder

Post by MeatGrinder » 03 Jan 2008, 00:27

You should have them soon. Call him.

Leibstandarte_reenactor

Post by Leibstandarte_reenactor » 03 Jan 2008, 00:58

Dieter wrote:How long does it usually take to get Tom's custom-made boots? I ordered a pair back in mid-October (w/o hobnails and heel irons).
12+ weeks

Wilhelm Stulenger

Post by Wilhelm Stulenger » 03 Jan 2008, 00:59

Leibstandarte_reenactor wrote:Mattimore will make boots 100% custom to your foot, ankle and calves if they too big in anyway it's because you did not measure yourself right.
Do you have any photos?

Leibstandarte_reenactor

Post by Leibstandarte_reenactor » 03 Jan 2008, 01:20

Wilhelm Stulenger wrote:
Leibstandarte_reenactor wrote:Mattimore will make boots 100% custom to your foot, ankle and calves if they too big in anyway it's because you did not measure yourself right.
Do you have any photos?
not of the jackboot. I have a pair of custom made M1917 Trench boots which are amazing.

Dare Furor

Post by Dare Furor » 03 Jan 2008, 16:53

Leibstandarte_reenactor wrote:...I have a pair of custom made M1917 Trench boots which are amazing.
I realise these are the Trench boots and not the Marschstieffel to which you refer, but this makes me wonder: what was the Wehrmacht issued before 1939? And just when in 1939 did the boots come out (possibly manufactured in 1938 and distributed in 1939)? If you were early war, say September/Oktober 1939, what are the odds you would have pre-1939 Marching Boots?

And for those of you interested in pre-war: What boots and helmet would you wear in 1933-34?

Cheers,

Dare Furor
<uuuUkuuu>

Return to “Reenactment”