Who makes the best Jackboots?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Newton30

Re: Who makes the best Jackboots?

Post by Newton30 » 10 Sep 2009 04:22

Polish-made jackboots wooden pegs are few. :cry:

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 10 Sep 2009 11:01

perhaps they are, but so far the cut and quality of the polish jack and lowboots have been one of the best repros and it has a good reputation in the US and europe. anyway it is not too hard to correct the wood peg amount by your own means or by cobbler, but if a boot has the wrong cut it is unfeasible to have it corrected.
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

Rittermeister

Post by Rittermeister » 11 Sep 2009 07:54

I've just gotten my LB jackboots in and have polished the living crap out of them - literally put a can and a half of kiwi in them - and gone over the lowers with a glass bottle, trying to get the smooth look. All I get is a flaky, almost pebbled appearance. Any idea?

Brendan Hunt

Post by Brendan Hunt » 11 Sep 2009 20:59

With the lowers, its most likely because of the leather nap. With a lot of wear, the nap will eventually wear down and will provide more of a smoother look.
Brendan

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 12 Sep 2009 06:49

rittermeister; your local cobbler should have handy some shine/gloss spray that acts as a sealent to the applied polish. i've used this on my LB boots. you can also use a conditioning solution sold by ATF. in reality many landsers of the era just used polish alone and had to chronically reapply due to the wear and leaching vigours of war. also some leathers accept blackening better than others, which could be due to chemicals used in leather refinery.
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 12 Sep 2009 07:21

ah the problem is with manipulating smoothness of the routh-out lowers (what the heck was i reading; perhaps i imagined this as a leaching issue) actually my original jackboots in person retaine a slight look of their rough-out nature meaning that you will probably never get them to resemble the smoothness of the shafts. something that helps though is sno-seal, mink oil, and that gloss spray i mentioned before.

Erich Johann

Post by Erich Johann » 17 Dec 2009 15:05

svec wrote:What do you think of these shoes http://www.koutny-cz.eu
Has anybody gotten a pair of his Marschstiefel?

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 17 Dec 2009 15:57

Rittermeister wrote:I've just gotten my LB jackboots in and have polished the living crap out of them - literally put a can and a half of kiwi in them - and gone over the lowers with a glass bottle, trying to get the smooth look. All I get is a flaky, almost pebbled appearance. Any idea?

I'm wondering if you don't have boots made out of something that is not "cow".

I bought a beautiful pair of hand-made/custom jack-boots in Mannheim Germany in 1985.($40-1985 8O 8-) ) They are "Water buffalo" or I understood them to be and they are not smooth either. Perhaps that man's son is still there in Kafertal,if you want a good pair of boots .

Anyway , I think you are trying to hard, strip'em down , and just buff polish with a brush. Only "asphalt soldiers" wear "glass boots". Although it is a "great feeling" to jump off a tank with spit shined boots into 3ft/1M of mud on an operation, such occasions are/were, a very rare pleasure for real soldiers. 8-) 8-) 8-) ,. Then you start wearing golashes/overshoes and your "shine" is totally destroyed ,but who cares then.

"Boots on the Ground" is what it is/was all about.

Chris

Erich Johann

Post by Erich Johann » 18 Dec 2009 18:22

Rittermeister wrote:I've just gotten my LB jackboots in and have polished the living crap out of them - literally put a can and a half of kiwi in them - and gone over the lowers with a glass bottle, trying to get the smooth look. All I get is a flaky, almost pebbled appearance. Any idea?
How long did you wait for your LB boots?

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 19 Dec 2009 05:42

Erich Johann wrote:
svec wrote:What do you think of these shoes http://www.koutny-cz.eu
Has anybody gotten a pair of his Marschstiefel?
to tell you the truth from the photos they look wrong in the length of the foot/lowers (could be a small sized boot he is showing on the pg), and the non-shark nose toe. it almost look like it has the same ankle issue as ATF jackboots. i'd like to see photos of the boots being worn, and different angles.

Erich Johann

Post by Erich Johann » 19 Dec 2009 16:49

Thanks for your comment.

Has anybody purchased these? http://www.robertlandhistoricshoes.com/ ... 39-45+WWII

dixiedrummer

Post by dixiedrummer » 19 Dec 2009 18:15

About 5 or 6 guys in my unit have Robert Land shoes. They have held up well so far. The construction is sound. They do look better in hand than on the website. My only issues are the toe (not a huge issue) and the hobnails that come on them. But for a semi-custom pair of boots, the price can't be beat. If you're a guy like me who has skinny legs, they can decrease the shaft circumference for a better fit.

Erich Johann

Post by Erich Johann » 19 Dec 2009 18:32

Thanks for your reply. Is the leather black or blackened?

dixiedrummer

Post by dixiedrummer » 19 Dec 2009 22:12

They come in natural brown.

Cessna

Post by Cessna » 20 Dec 2009 01:06

Erich Johann wrote:
How long did you wait for your LB boots?
I'm curious about this as well. 6 months is a long time to wait.

Return to “Reenactment”