Who makes the best Jackboots?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
dixiedrummer

Re: Who makes the best Jackboots?

Post by dixiedrummer » 20 Dec 2009, 15:46

When the guys ordered their boots from Robert Land, they had them within 2-3 weeks.

Daniel

Post by Daniel » 20 Dec 2009, 17:43

I'm thinking of buying a pair of boots from LB and I would like to know if they are worth the money. Some says they are the best and now I read stuff about the leather. Could someone give me advice?!

Brendan Hunt

Post by Brendan Hunt » 20 Dec 2009, 18:54

Just a heads up, even though LB boots are pegged, they are not pegged in the correct fashion.
Brendan

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 20 Dec 2009, 23:14

Brendan Hunt wrote:Just a heads up, even though LB boots are pegged, they are not pegged in the correct fashion.

explain (peg pattern/type of pegs)/proof? there are several patterns for wood pegging that can be seen on original boots; the only fault i have seen is that from unissued pairs you can see a slight leather-peel off/leather branding pattern where the wood pegs are at the middle, and sometimes every where that wood pegs are.
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 20 Dec 2009, 23:16

Daniel wrote:I'm thinking of buying a pair of boots from LB and I would like to know if they are worth the money. Some says they are the best and now I read stuff about the leather. Could someone give me advice?!
the leather's fine on the current run of boots. compared to my salamander-made original m39s the both have very similar thickness and texture. in the past the shaft leather used to be hardened/unpliable (i own an older lb jackboot as well to confirm ths), but that is no longer true.
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

Brendan Hunt

Post by Brendan Hunt » 20 Dec 2009, 23:49

TOTVERBAND wrote:
Brendan Hunt wrote:Just a heads up, even though LB boots are pegged, they are not pegged in the correct fashion.

explain (peg pattern/type of pegs)/proof? there are several patterns for wood pegging that can be seen on original boots; the only fault i have seen is that from unissued pairs you can see a slight leather-peel off/leather branding pattern where the wood pegs are at the middle, and sometimes every where that wood pegs are.
From what I've seen on original pairs there is almost always two rows of pegs running the sides of the half sole and two rows on the sole itself. From what I've seen there are sometimes one or two rows at the base of the half sole.

From the LB boots you posted, it seems some of them don't have any pegs on the half sole at all.
On the LB website, the low boots pictured have a single row of pegs on the half sole and look like each one is an inch apart.

I know that different variations existed, but this is what I see of the norm:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... 1106705691
http://www.relichunter.com/booties5.jpg
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... 1106706101
Brendan

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 21 Dec 2009, 00:59

i have jackboots with 1 and 2 row halfsoles and different spacing patterns, and what looks like different peg sizes. same deal with the fullsole/middle in terms of spacing and amount of wood pegs. a good deal of my unissued boots come from stezelberger's/relic hunter collection. i don't know about wehrmacht awards because i'm not a member. LBs are not inncorrect, but perhaps the model boots they used for repros are not as common as m37 lowboots.

Erich Johann

Post by Erich Johann » 27 Dec 2009, 04:55

Totverband, did Marschstiefel usually have roughout toes or were there also smoothout toes?

Daniel

Post by Daniel » 27 Dec 2009, 10:01

Erich Johann wrote:Totverband, did Marschstiefel usually have roughout toes or were there also smoothout toes?
"Roughout toes".

Brendan Hunt

Post by Brendan Hunt » 27 Dec 2009, 17:51

With a combination of short leather nap and frequent polishing, "rough out" leather can appear to be smooth.
Brendan

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 28 Dec 2009, 08:56

Erich Johann wrote:Totverband, did Marschstiefel usually have roughout toes or were there also smoothout toes?
all-smooth jackboots are rare just as horizontal reinforced-seam on the shafts of some jackboots. there are also all-roughout m39 jackboots. back then boots didn't follow specs too strictly in order to adjust/compensate for the availability, quantity and quality of resources.

ASHBDS

Post by ASHBDS » 04 Jan 2010, 10:53

You can also check this jackboots which i have purchased from india.i am not saying its best but ithink its better with in the reproductions.
GERMAN JACKBOOT.jpg
FROM BDS EXIM.

Cessna

Post by Cessna » 05 Jan 2010, 21:03

How much? Where are they from? How do they fit?

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 06 Jan 2010, 01:34

this thing looks like something trident militaria was offering at one point, or landser without the carpet tacks. i can't predict the quality of materials and craftsmanship, so I'd prefer having more photos (side, toe, front, back views) before i give an opinion. one thing i can say is that the leather is too black and glossy while the threading is showing white (which can probably be dyed over); the jackboots were issued brown, and the lowers look as smooth as the uppers.

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 12 Jan 2010, 05:49

I am also wondering if anyone has recently bought a pair of ATF jackboots as they claim on their page that they have corrected the ankle and calf issue on their latest run of jackboots?

Return to “Reenactment”