Who makes the best Jackboots?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
nihil

Re: Who makes the best Jackboots?

Post by nihil » 28 Mar 2012, 00:16

Thats the first time I've seen a reproduction of those!
How much did they cost you?

konigou

Post by konigou » 28 Mar 2012, 08:59

€ 394 in total !! :)

radtech

Post by radtech » 27 Oct 2012, 18:48

i thought i would chime in here for my first post, on the subject of jackboots, and the trials and tribulations i had in dying them black.
i bought the ATF jackboots. they looked good, better than my other pair from military tour.
they have also reduced the price.
having only seen photos of original marschstiefel, the ATF jacks seemed to fit the bill.
nice thick leather.
the first hobnail feel out after less than 24 hours and only having worn them around the house.
the calfs are big. they do fit well though. i got a size 10, and they are not at all roomy.
i dyed them with eco flo black dye.
i cut it 50/50 with water. it took MANY coats to dye the leather like this. one boot did not want to absorb the dye... realized afterwards that maybe i should have prepped the leather first. oh well!
i am going to take them to a cobbler to see if it is possible to reduce the size of the calf opening, and maybe narrow the ankle a bit.
anyone ever tried that before with jackboots?

KaiserWolf

Post by KaiserWolf » 28 Oct 2012, 00:33

I had my marching boots made by a dude I found on the net. He runs a company called "Vadorn Leather", they have lasted a long time and I wear them EVERY DAY. I had a few changes added, at their base they are Marching boots, but I added a buckle flap and a toe cap (not a fan of the shark nose). But you could just get the basic model from him. Here is a photo. They cost $300.

eldar1

Post by eldar1 » 01 Jan 2013, 09:48

Check out motorcowboy,com As strange as it maybe look at their Han Solo boots ,thats right Han Solo boots,They will set you back about $450 but they are custom made to your size that is if you want officers boots.

Appleknocker27

Post by Appleknocker27 » 04 Jan 2013, 22:57

I see there is years of different opinions here, so just my 2 cents...

I took a pair of 1950's Bundeswehr Jackboots, took off the buckle and strap, hid the holes (putty, boot polish), removed the plastic on the sole and replaced it with leather, original hobnails and healplates.

The main reason I did this is a very significant one; these are REAL military specification manufactured boots intended for day to day military field operations. I have worn these in the field for 20 years of reenacting and have only had to clean and polish them. They will easily outlive me and are VERY tough. When I put them next to repros I get the sense of a comparison of real combat boots with costume boots. http://www.hotboots.com/bootinfo/jackboot.html

svec

Post by svec » 23 Sep 2013, 07:07

:thumbsup:
Attachments
MR (34).JPG
MR (34).JPG (73.49 KiB) Viewed 13772 times
MR (42).JPG
MR (42).JPG (65.63 KiB) Viewed 13772 times

landser32

Post by landser32 » 07 Oct 2013, 17:41

As I've posted years and threads earlier, I've used boots from Grigsby (ring a bell), Mattermore, to ATF, and what it really boils down to is whomever you pick up a pair from, you might get lucky or you may get screwed.

For example, I recently picked up a pair of ATF's latest venture, and the only thing I needed to do was add the proper toe caps. No dyeing issues, no "hobnail malfunctions" or any other incidents to take note of.. Over a year and still going strong..

What it really comes down to is do they "look" correct, and most importantly, do the "fit" correct. There are allot of alternatives and options now than there were 10 years ago so listen to your feet and your wallet when shopping..

Unless you have access to mint ready to wear originals or a time machine, it is what it is.. Not great, but much better than what it used to be..

Angus1235

Post by Angus1235 » 10 Dec 2013, 08:09

You can get good quality russian officer boots, $80 later, you have taken them to a cobbler to cut down the tops/reshape the bottm, and bam. Under $200 spent for good boots with leather soles/german look.
Searching for Truppenfahrrad parts: Torpedo coaster brake parts, Union-werke headlight, truppenfahrrad handlebars, Torpedo front wheel hub.

Angus1235

Post by Angus1235 » 07 Jan 2014, 06:44

Hi, me again... I found a dealr on Ebay called Noumamd Fi. They do all sorts of riding boots etc. and are willing to make customised boots, so a jackboot may be an option from them. I purchased a pair of boots identical (As far as I can tell) to a pair of German OFficer boots (The type with the buckle at the top) which I should have by the end of Feburary
Searching for Truppenfahrrad parts: Torpedo coaster brake parts, Union-werke headlight, truppenfahrrad handlebars, Torpedo front wheel hub.

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 07 Jan 2014, 12:50

Angus- can you post a link to the eBay seller's store for reference?
Member of Kampfgruppe Haase, reenacting WW2 History for over 30 years: http://www.soldaten.ca

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 08 Jan 2014, 03:10

I took a pair of 1950's Bundeswehr Jackboots, took off the buckle and strap, hid the holes (putty, boot polish), removed the plastic on the sole and replaced it with leather, original hobnails and healplates.

The main reason I did this is a very significant one; these are REAL military specification manufactured boots intended for day to day military field operations. I have worn these in the field for 20 years of reenacting and have only had to clean and polish them.

I can confirm this; I've worn Bundeswehr rankers' jackboots on the bike for 25 years now, apart from my two-year break on my wachtbatallion officers' boots, and they're tough - two pairs have each outlasted a couple of resolings with one piece "vibrasole" rubber soles, the ones with a "commando" tread pattern. The leather is almost indestructable - with age it goes iron-hard - and requires an occasional baby oiling to keep any suppleness in them. It swells and seals the thread (it doesn't rot it) and they're virtually waterproof afterwards for months at a time. Resoling them at £45 each time is the greatest expense involved - they cost me £20 a pair to purchase in the late '80s!
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

Angus1235

Post by Angus1235 » 04 Feb 2014, 17:27

Which design is truly accurate for a regular infantryman style jachboot? I have noticed several, the most common (most accurate imo) has a square riding boot style 'tail' where the boot meets the shaft on the front, whereas a lot of other designs have the shaft fitting on OVER the boot part (a design used by East German boots) creating a rounded 'tail'
Also,what was the use of the smooth black jackboots? They clearly aren't field boots, so did the TR actually issue two sets of boots to each soldier as well as the low boots?

Appleknocker27

Post by Appleknocker27 » 14 Mar 2014, 18:09

$45 US and do the conversion, you'll never need another pair and they will outlive you...
http://www.totls.com/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=54

These are genuine infantryman's boots, not reenactors reproduction costume boots. Huge difference.

nihil

Post by nihil » 28 Mar 2014, 14:31

The ones made by koutny are genuine hand made boots, by a professional shoemaker.
No factory made, inaccurate, post-war stuff.

The west German boots are highly inaccurate and would not be tolerated in any serious group.

Return to “Reenactment”