Fat reenactors. We must be stopped.

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Aufaffe

Fat reenactors. We must be stopped.

Post by Aufaffe » 09 Feb 2009 16:13

I think it is time that we take a serious look at ourselves. A perfect helmet on a fat head above a bulging uniform cinched by a size 50 belt over size 42 keilhosen is not an example of a WWII German soldier. Not even close, it’s more like a fat guy in a costume made from the hair of an entire herd of sheep.

Take the next step.

Ok, before everyone starts to get mad hear me out. I was 248 pounds and have through diet and exercise dropped down to 224 lbs. I was a bit lighter than that but with the exercise i have increased muscle mass.

It took about a year to drop the excess baggage originally and it has now been two years and six months since I’ve kept it off.

The formula is easy.

1. Stay away from beer, pizza, candy and things surrounded by bread during the week. Also drink water with your meals and stay away from soft drinks.

2. Do 25 minutes of cardio 4 to 5 days a week. Work your way up to 60 push ups per day. (You don’t have to do them all at once you can do three sittings of 20.)

3. Breakfast: large coffee and a balance bar.(the balance bar is only 200 calories after burning much more than that during your workout in the morning you are already at a caloric defecit.) The best flavored "Balance Bars" are honey peanut, peanut butter and cookie dough. They actually fill you up, have the consistency of marzipan and taste like you are cheating.) Do not eat anything else until lunch.

4. Lunch: Salad with meat *no bread. (Lebanese food is a great choice.)

5. Dinner: try to keep it under 1000 calories Chicken w/rice and Green beans. Or a steak with a baked potato and asparagus is a good choice

6. Dessert: Raisin bran with chocolate soy milk and trail mix.(trust me on this, you’ll feel like your cheating. I really look forward to eating it now.)

During the weekend I drink about 12 beers total, si I end up putting about 3 pounds back on. But by Friday I’ve lost them again. I also eat pizza and I may even have ice-cream or a piece of cake. Because my activity is where it is supposed to be it doesn’t stick to my ribs. Once you drop the weight and keep it down your metabolism with speed up which actually makes it harder for you to put fat on. Once you get the weight down reward your self on the weekends within reason. The Biggest reward you’ll get is when you look at pictures that other reenactors have taken of you and you see a German soldier instead of a “Fat American.”

Before
FG.jpg

After
SG.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Aufaffe on 09 Feb 2009 17:08, edited 2 times in total.

Van der Waal

Re: Fat reenactors. We must be stopped.

Post by Van der Waal » 09 Feb 2009 16:52

And, this is great for *your* health, too.

Congrats on getting into good shape, friend!

- Adam

Zoring

Post by Zoring » 09 Feb 2009 17:40

On the downside, your tunics won't fit anymore and you'll have to drive around in your singlet :P

stroodle

Post by stroodle » 09 Feb 2009 17:51

The week before a reenactment I load up on chocolate exlax!!! If I do not lose weight from that end, then my finger gets a workout, and the rest comes up. It really gives me that rail thin, sunken eye, end of the war look. I can eat all I want...seriously, don't you think this topic has run its course???????? Congrats for the effort, but, look at the other threads regarding this topic, and realize that it will get shut down soon. More than likely, my reply will be deleted by our esteemed moderator.

David

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 09 Feb 2009 18:18

tch tch david, why delete your post when it made me laugh out loud.

seriously, an interesting 'from the other side' story re: obesity etc., i hope we don't drag this on, but to the original poster, congratulations on a healthy attitude, reenactment aside.
Member of Kampfgruppe Haase, reenacting WW2 History for over 30 years: http://www.soldaten.ca

Aufaffe

Post by Aufaffe » 09 Feb 2009 19:06

Thanks,

I figured I'd represent a non "pot calling the kettle black" opinion. Above and beyond reenacting this has been a life changing experience for me. It has helped my results in business as well as providing me with a body that makes me feel much younger than my 41 years. (not that 40 is old) My wife and I bought a condo about a year ago with three fights of stairs, I don't even notice them. They'd be hell with the weight I dropped still attached to me.

Back on topic-

I was tired of being called a Fat American by members of forums containing Europeans who hadn't ever met me. I said to myself "how the hell do they know?" Well, I guess slight and or morbid obesity has become the American way. Judging from what I see of the "time out generation" it’s not going to be getting any better anytime soon.

I hope that you guys don't take offence at this post. But I hope you'll give my diet a try.

It works.

Marek.

El Shane

Post by El Shane » 09 Feb 2009 19:50

Aufaffe- This is the post we have needed for a long time. Finally, instead of complaining, somebody is doing something about the problem. Since I left the military, I have... uhh... experienced some personal growth :cry: , and I have been reenacting my own Battle of the Bulge.

I will try your diet plan, it sounds easy enough, and tasty as well. The hard part is getting my fat butt to do exercise, but I am ready to exit the Fat American category, even if I can ditch a few pounds.

Thank you for the recommendations, and for taking some action on this, I will give this a try, and hopefully, I might be posting my own before and after photos here one day.

dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 » 09 Feb 2009 19:54

Don'y worry. 'Morbid Obesity' is no longer an American thing. Kids here in the UK seem to be catching up quick. Another good reason more people should start re-enacting. Gets you off your arse, out in the fresh air and a bit of exercise while having a bloody good time.

B Hellqvist

Post by B Hellqvist » 09 Feb 2009 20:32

While I'm not about to start reenacting right now, I plan to get myself a uniform and kit. But with c. 200 lbs to lug around, I feel that I both want to look better in (and out of) uniform, and improve my health as well. Those of us in our 40's are perhaps young at heart, but our hearts aren't young anymore. If one wants to stick around long enough to qualify for a Volkssturm impression 20 years hence, it is high time getting in shape. We owe it to ourselves, to our families, and to our love of history.

Aufaffe

Post by Aufaffe » 09 Feb 2009 20:48

Here, Here, well said. I'm glad this thread has not reverted into a flame fest. I agree 100%. Besides "Chicks dig an in shape dude."

Marek.

metzger76

Post by metzger76 » 10 Feb 2009 01:09

:( My name is Metzger... and I'm an overweight reenactor.

Yes, it's true. I started out at 210 (mind you I am 6'5") in 2001 and now, through marriage and health issues, I'm 260 or so.

I was down to 215 in 2007. I'll be there again. It just takes work. For me, once it starts to come off, it really starts to come off. I don't look really obese per se, but I do look really "puffy" and "flabby" and more importantly, I feel like crap at this weight.

Any other reenactors fighting the Battle of the 'Bulge'?

dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 » 10 Feb 2009 01:17

I think re-enacting can be a positive thing for your health and fitness. I'm far from fat but could do with losing a bit of weight, too much food and booze over Christmas. There are few of us out there that are shrinking violets when a camera is pointed at us at an event and looking in shape helps the impression. I've started running again not only for the good of my healthy but because I don't want to look like an out of shape SS Mann.

It also helps if your going to be taking part in private battles. Running in tracksuit and trainers is one thing, doing it in full kit carrying an MG42 is another. We go to great lenghts to get the look right when it comes to our kit, getting our physical apperance right has far more benifts.

FJdrewb

Post by FJdrewb » 10 Feb 2009 06:13

Another thing the might help you to loose weight is finding a job that is more than desk work. I am not heavy/overweight nor advaced in years. But I do tire jockey for a living right now. It kicks my ass each and every day. It keeps me active throught out the day. I am in the best shape of my life, even better shape than when I played waterpolo.

For those with desk jobs, I would say find any excuse to get up and go somewhere in the office. Maybe at lunch go take a walk or something.

Heres me. But I digress even guys who are slim still need to watch what they eat. For example I don't like to eat past 7-730 as I don't want to sleep with a full stomach. Thats an easy way to build fat. I do agree with your point on the carido. I need to work on that to. Its not about whos fat and who isn't. Its about being healthy. We all want to do this hobby for a while.

Just recently at an event in OR. A guy belonging the organization died from a heart attack. They were moving on line and he dropped. Members did CPR but he had passed before getting to the gate.

Sarge

Post by Sarge » 10 Feb 2009 09:33

IF you hang out with the right people you don't look fat, or overly large! :D
I'm 6'1 and 225 with a bit of a pot gut, which fortunately the jump smock hides.
I'm 2nd from left in the first (we were jumping in 2002, with pistols under our smocks) and on the right in the 2nd photo. All of us can, and do, run around the forest all day with out a problem.
I have to watch my diet because of diabetes, but do not have the will power for the kind of a diet suggested - besides I do Not like a lot of that stuff, so won't eat it! I can not run/jog because of a back injury & wear a brace when I jump. Some one said something about doing Volksturm in 20 yrs. NOT me! When I get so stove up I can't run thru the trees, I've got a Combi to ride or ride in so I can run the MG 42.
Sarge
Mar 02 Jump - 2.JPG
FJR1 - 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFEMEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

Zoring

Post by Zoring » 10 Feb 2009 13:26

The two simplest tips i can give people to lose a bit of weight.

1. As FJ said, don't eat late at night. If you go to bed a little hungry, that's a great thing.
2. Stop drinking Soft Drinks/Soda/Fizzy Drinks whatever they are called. Those are some of the worst things you can have. Although you might be addicted to coke, just have a orange or apple juice with some ice in. lovely.

Just doing this, and without even much excersise and a sedantry job i was able to lose and keep off 10kg (uh 25? pounds) over the course of a year. Without even trying :)

Return to “Reenactment”