Fat reenactors. We must be stopped.

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
CTAPOCTA

Re: Fat reenactors. We must be stopped.

Post by CTAPOCTA » 07 Jan 2010 01:23

bruno.reinhold wrote:eat less - like a single portion for a single meal. if you dont move around alot, eat 2 meals a day instead of 3 heaping farmhand meals.
... thats exactly what you shouldn`t do.
DO NOT WORRY about how much you eat as long as you eat often!
Starving won`t work! Your first step would be to add extra meal to whatever number of meals you are eating now. After couple of weeks add another meal ... until you get to 5-6 meals a day. Because you will be eating every 2-3 hours you won`t be able to eat a lot per meal. And trust me - you won`t be craving for any candies or cakes. You last meal no later than 7pm. Just by doing it you won`t get a six-pack but it WILL shed excess of your fat. Good luck!

Brendan Hunt

Post by Brendan Hunt » 07 Jan 2010 01:47

I lost 30lbs by simply rationing what I ate. I'm not sure if I should recommend it, its just what I did. Needless to say, it worked for me.
Brendan

bruno.reinhold

Post by bruno.reinhold » 07 Jan 2010 02:23

DO NOT WORRY about how much you eat as long as you eat often!
Starving won`t work! Your first step would be to add extra meal to whatever number of meals you are eating now. After couple of weeks add another meal ... until you get to 5-6 meals a day. [/quote]

Then, mix it all up in a bucket and make sure you dont skimp on the pate! For dessert, a wafer thin mint...... :lol:

Javaman

Post by Javaman » 07 Jan 2010 16:56

bruno.reinhold wrote:DO NOT WORRY about how much you eat as long as you eat often!
Starving won`t work! Your first step would be to add extra meal to whatever number of meals you are eating now. After couple of weeks add another meal ... until you get to 5-6 meals a day.

Then, mix it all up in a bucket and make sure you dont skimp on the pate! For dessert, a wafer thin mint...... :lol:[/quote]

FYI- if you take in more calories than you burn on a daily basis, you will gain weight. It really is that simple and it isn't rocket science or a mystery, you have to have a calorie deficit to lose weight. If you think eating more meals somehow raises metabolism, it doesn't. It raises your caloric intake and unless your burning it off, you will gain weight. Small/frequent meals spaced out might maintain the same caloric intake and avoid hunger, but it doesn't work by itself.
Try this link to get a basis for caloric intake on a given day in order to maintain your current weight: http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm
To lose weight without dieting, maintain a caloric intake that is consumate with your current weight and then start an exercise program to create a calorie deficit every day/week. It takes 3500 calories burned to equal 1 pound of body fat. If you have a defict of 500 calories a day, that's 1 pound a week, etc.
Good luck

aeros66

Post by aeros66 » 19 Jan 2010 06:42

Hi-
I've noticed this thread and others mention how german soldiers were so small. I thought they were supposed to be mostly aryan types of dudes and imagine that the sizes they were wouldn't be that far off from the average (non- obese, of course) american today. Any light on this from the experts would be appreciated!

danke

kvn

cpittman

Post by cpittman » 19 Jan 2010 16:38

German soldiers of WWII mostly grew up during the Depression and the difficult post-WWI period and in general they had smaller frames as a result of malnourishment when they were children. They also were not bombarded with hormones in meat, etc. It seems like the average size for original tunics is around 36-38 inches and the most common hat size seems to have been 56cm.

Schriv

Post by Schriv » 19 Jan 2010 18:09

People in the 1930'-40' were just smaller overall than we are today. As mentioned, the depression years didn't allow for a lot of excess on the dinner table, and people tended to be more active in their daily lives and jobs. Farming and manual factory work didn't lead to the 'rounded' shape our modern lifestyle has given us. :cry:
I have a book at home that mentioned the average height for new recruits into the U.S. Army in 1943 was 5'9, weighed 145 pounds and had a size 9 shoe. I'm sure it mentioned the chest size, but can't recall it right off hand. I'm thinking it was 38".
That doesn't mean that there weren't some big, beefy guys in WWII military services, but they sure weren't as common as what we see in our militaries of today.

aeros66

Post by aeros66 » 19 Jan 2010 21:56

Cpittman and Schriv-

Thank you both for the quick enlightenment.
Makes sense now, I always had this "big gnarly superhuman soldier" image whenever I thought of Wehrmacht soldiers. Maybe it was from all those Sgt Rock and the like comics as a kid...

Interesting the stats of the avg US recruit, how much smaller the average joe was back then. Since both sides had endured a depression before the war, makes sense that they were probably similar in size.

NOW all the bashing of these huge reenactors makes sense.

Thanks again.

bruno.reinhold

Post by bruno.reinhold » 19 Jan 2010 23:31

Exactly. The Depression hit Germany alot harder than the US and the other Allied powers. And dont forget that Germans of military age in the 40's had the added disadvantage of being born around the time of the allied blockade that nearly starved Germany to death, and which Churchill insisted on continuing even after the armistice. Talk about malnutrition. And then the Spanish Flue pandemic which hit Germany especially hard. German kids had it rough during the first half of the last century.

Schriv

Post by Schriv » 19 Jan 2010 23:55

I'll try to locate the book with the U.S. GI stats in it when I get home tonight. I hate quoting anything without having the supporting documentation.
BUT, I haven't done anything related with U.S. WWII uniforms/equipment in a long,long time, so I know it won't be on the shelves with all of my uber-cool German related books. I bought it back when I was still able to fit into a Medium reg BDU top and Small reg BDU bottoms. I came home from boot camp in 1983 with a 40" chest and 28" waist. Those days are well in the past!!!! :cry: :cry:

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 20 Jan 2010 21:55

i don't think one must be malnourished to participate/reenact (to fit such a accurate body type), but more exercise and less excess food intake should help to a large degree. my tunic started out a sz 50 chest and while the chest size has not gone down much (probably now i am a 48 chest), at least my waist has gone down from a 44 to a 40. i recommend military humps(long walks with heavy gear), or running (but not in hobnailed boots!). this should be easier if you have a dog you can take on long walks (1 1/2 mile+/ 30 minute walk since fatter individuals burn more calories doing less than the typical athletes).
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

Brendan Hunt

Post by Brendan Hunt » 20 Jan 2010 22:25

You don't have to be mal-nourished to fit an authentic size. If I were to measure myself now I'd be a 32" waist and a 36" chest. I'm 5'11". The tunic and suit jacket size I wear is 38". I lost a lot of weight a few years ago by simply not eating as much but I still have a healthy and full diet.
Brendan

CTAPOCTA

Post by CTAPOCTA » 27 Jan 2010 00:57

aeros66 wrote:Cpittman and Schriv-
... I always had this "big gnarly superhuman soldier" image whenever I thought of Wehrmacht soldiers. Maybe it was from all those Sgt Rock and the like comics as a kid...
Thanks again.
It was from bias portraying of SS-Soldiers: "...The officer candidates had to meet stringent requirements before being allowed entry to the schools: all SS officers had to be a minimum height of 5 foot 10 inches - 5 foot 11 inches for the Leibstandarte and they also had to have served some time in the ranks**""

**- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffen-SS

B Hellqvist

Post by B Hellqvist » 11 Feb 2010 09:03

Huh, I guess I shouldn't post this pic then... ;)

(Found here.)

bruno.reinhold

Post by bruno.reinhold » 11 Feb 2010 20:49

I think he ate the rest of his platoon. look at how nervous the little guy appears.

Return to “Reenactment”