Fat reenactors. We must be stopped.

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
CTAPOCTA

Re: Fat reenactors. We must be stopped.

Post by CTAPOCTA » 11 Mar 2010 01:06

Just following up on finnguy to see how it worked out for you this winter to walk around with calculator and scale measuring out everything you are putting in your mouth. Lol, that`s what I thought :lol:
I agree with bruno (not Javaman`s bucket :)) on most things he said but I think for an average guy (and I assume thats what you are) without getting into rocket science of nutrition your first step on level 1 would be (and I repeat it again) EATING MORE MEALS! I can see your jaw drop in disbelief - how is this possible?
You see, the key in loosing weight lays in metabolism. Although it is true you will lose weight initially by eating less but it works only in short term. It would make sence if you getting ready for an upcoming event: like marriage, vacation, competition etc. The problem is you can`t stay for too long on low calories intake mode since it will slow your metabolism to a point where you eat next to nothing and still can`t lose fat.
You probably don`t even eat more than your recommended daily calorie intake should be. MOST probably you problem is you eat too much at once! If its more than 3-4 hours between your meals - chances are you are going to eat hungry and that`s when you start overeating (eating more than your metabolism can burn at once). When you you do this your metabolism stores excess calories into energy storage, which we call fat.
The goal of changing your looks lays in changing your lifestyle. And changing your lifestyle should start with: 5-6 equally divided meals throughout the day. That`s it - no other way around! Not a magic pill, not ab machine you`re hiding under bed. Start with eating something every 2-3 hours: fruit, yoghurt, sandwich etc. How big those meals should be depends on how active your life style is, but you should never feel full neather hungry after meal. The goal is don`t go without eating for more than 3 hours. Here comes the fun part: because you are never hungry you will never crave again for junk food.
This is the first step I would recommend to an average Joe. 10 years of experience backing up my words: it worked for me and it would work for you. This alone won`t make your abdominals pop up on your stomach but it WILL take care of excess weight even without exersising! Later when down the road you decide to take it to next level we can talk about calculators, scales, cardio, lifting etc. But this is step number one. Good luck!

Byelogvardetza

Post by Byelogvardetza » 17 Mar 2010 07:36

Step 1 - Eat all the time, lose weight?
Step 2 - stand in between Kirstie Alley and Oprah so I look smaller?
Step 3 - back to the drawing board.

Javaman

Post by Javaman » 18 Mar 2010 15:26

Nice post CTAPOCTA, you left out the part where if someone eats more calories than they burn, they will gain weight. There is no way to manipulate your metabolic rate to magically burn more calories without exercise. Food=fuel for muscles, exercise=work and use of said fuel, lack of work and excess fuel="storage" aka. fat.
The most glaring omission on your part is that eating more meals means eating SMALLER meals with the intent of staying under your calorie limit for the day AND avoiding hunger cravings. Simply saying eat more meals does little to convey your point accurately.
Honestly, if you really do want to lose weight your going to have to have some self discipline because diet and exercise aren't the easiest things to manage. If you can manage to get through the first week, the worst is over. The harder it is, the more you will respect yourself if you reach your goal (weight stays off).

For any doubters:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 18 Mar 2010 17:13

okay gents, i have the lock and key in hand, let's return this back to a discussion on reenactment please.
Member of Kampfgruppe Haase, reenacting WW2 History for over 30 years: http://www.soldaten.ca

Mimbrogno

Post by Mimbrogno » 18 Mar 2010 18:26

Well, you guys can always re-enact a month of basic training!

And if you're really desperate to stop the epidemic (and I mean beyond last resort desperate), as far as I've heard, live rounds still work.

Javaman

Post by Javaman » 19 Mar 2010 13:07

It is reenactment related Drew, the biggest authenticty issue in WW2 reenacting in the US is weight. How many here have spoken w/vets who have been to an event of some kind or looked at reenactor pics and pointed out the "well fed" issue? My intent was to put out good info that may be of help to some and to dispel any wrong info that may be harmful.

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 19 Mar 2010 16:53

agreed, no worries, there, but the thread doesn't need to dissolve into a 'diet tips 101' session
Member of Kampfgruppe Haase, reenacting WW2 History for over 30 years: http://www.soldaten.ca

FatandProud

Post by FatandProud » 28 Jun 2010 09:43

I am not an reenactor I am a fat man .I do love to dress up and get photo taken.Now That said I will start my rant. Fat people should be aloud to do what they want and not take flak about it. I know I can not reenact but if I want to do and impression I will and if a organization tryed to say other wise the ACLU would have a field day with the law suit. It funny that Fat reenactor get complaints reenactors are usually older then the average age during the war nothing is funnier then see a grey hair or bolding reenactor playing army. It is all make believe now so let who ever wants to do it do and keep your comments to yourself about it. Judge not.

Schnert

Post by Schnert » 28 Jun 2010 13:44

Fat people should learn proper grammar and spelling.

Grabenkater

Post by Grabenkater » 28 Jun 2010 15:29

Schnert wrote:Fat people should learn proper grammar and spelling.

:milwink:

cpittman

Post by cpittman » 28 Jun 2010 15:49

I find that threatening an ACLU lawsuit is a very poor way to make friends and foster Kameradschaft in a reenactment unit.

Johann Muller

Post by Johann Muller » 28 Jun 2010 20:42

cpittman wrote:I find that threatening an ACLU lawsuit is a very poor way to make friends and foster Kameradschaft in a reenactment unit.
GoogleCrome.Если вы будете кушать то что собрали сами из своей земли будете в форме.
Супермаркеты продают такую дрянь- вы только почитайте что на бумажках пишут?Яд.

FatandProud

Post by FatandProud » 29 Jun 2010 00:20

Вы правы полностью обрабатываемая еда плох для вас.

FatandProud

Post by FatandProud » 29 Jun 2010 00:34

cpittman wrote:I find that threatening an ACLU lawsuit is a very poor way to make friends and foster Kameradschaft in a reenactment unit.
I am not here to make friends.I am just standing up for the discriminated obese.What all come down to is bigotry.
Snide remarks. I do think people do need to think before getting into reenacting dont get me wrong they is alot of physical exertion involved.That being said Reenacting is fantasy so old,young,fat,and small can do it

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 29 Jun 2010 01:11

Gentlemen:

1: This is an English-based forum, please respond in English.
2: @ 'Fatand Proud': Please don't post to be offensive on purpose. It doesn't add to any of the conversation here.

Return to “Reenactment”