Who Makes the Best Lowboots?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
TOTVERBAND

Who Makes the Best Lowboots?

Postby TOTVERBAND » 29 Apr 2009 20:20

i'm not sure if this topic was ever discussed, but in homage to "Who makes the best jackboots" i present it now. So has anyone come across authentic repros, or what do you consider when determining the 'best lowboots' even if not authentic in all areas as was the case with support of Tom mattimore's jackboots which i have never owned or personally seen outside of posted photographs, but rather basing it on the replies from that thread. So participate and feel free to show us your lowboots since you know I will.
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

Freiwilligen

Re: Who Makes the Best Lowboots?

Postby Freiwilligen » 29 Apr 2009 21:00

SS Room:

Days and days of hiking, and they only look better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Satter

Postby Satter » 30 Apr 2009 00:07

I've heard some really good things about SSROOM's lowboots. Lost Battalions also makes lowboots, and are some of the best from people I've spoken to.

WolfgangKessler

Postby WolfgangKessler » 30 Apr 2009 02:49

I've heard good things about Lost Battalions boots. However, I own a pair of Grigsby's and I love them. Had them a year and the "Mickey Mouse" toe is starting to shark nose now.

Holz
Financial supporter

Postby Holz » 30 Apr 2009 04:03

Have had the ATF and SS Room boots.

SS Room wins hands down.

CTAPOCTA

Postby CTAPOCTA » 30 Apr 2009 21:09

How SS Room is comparable to Zeugmeisterei?
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=149891

TOTVERBAND

Postby TOTVERBAND » 30 Apr 2009 21:24

zm boots aree great and i would say the most correct of all repros in terms of cut/not too wide like atf and correct toe(on par with LB), craftsmenship/quality of stiching/leather (no other comparison; even better than many originals!!!), durability, and even price with the minor exception to the sole area between the heel and the front sole. (no wood pegging!)
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

TOTVERBAND

Postby TOTVERBAND » 30 Apr 2009 21:57

I don't reenact, but rather just use these for everyday use (i do hike with these), so i will explain some benefits and drawbacks for those of you looking around for the best lowboots. My first lowboots were original latvian ss issued m1937s which were in the worst unpliable shape possible, but they served their purpose even if the stiching was starting to come undone gradually.
I wore my lowboots with wool repro socks, but found out too early that they wore out easily, and washing them caused shrinkage, so I now mostly wear portyanki (footwraps) for lowboots and jackboots. The type i am wearing below is soviet issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jager-Bitner

Postby Jager-Bitner » 30 Apr 2009 22:17

I have ATF, i really like the look the of them right now, after i snowsealed them up, and the dust and dirt collected, they look really nice and worn. Only problem is the soles really suck and as you all could figure, my hobnails feel out. I'm goin to get new leather soles put in them here soon.
38th Jäger Regiment - "Furchtlos und Treue"
Website- http://www.38th-jaegers.com/index.htm

TOTVERBAND

Postby TOTVERBAND » 01 May 2009 23:48

While we're at it, I think I have also seen gebirgs boots used by reenactors for the Caucasus campaign.
If I were in the North Caucasus I wouldn't mind using the real thing, or repros since boots would be the last thing on my mind at that point. But I don't know any who make repro gebirgs boots outside of ZM, which looks spot on, but i don't own one because of the huge price tag. For some it'll make a lot more sense getting a real issue/unissued pair for the less, or better condition originals for a bit more. Whatever you choose to do for gebrigsjagaer impressions just know that these boots are heavy, very loud, and in most case meant to be stiff/thick since they're a mountaineers boot!

And i present you these originals.

TOTVERBAND

Postby TOTVERBAND » 02 May 2009 00:43

Now here we have a pair of Sturm lowboots, which i got from Hessen Antique. It roughly equals to ATF in terms of cut meaning same producer, but i don't know if the leather quality is the same between sturm and ATF, but from seeing others with ATF boots (most proliferated lowboots i know of) they both leave much to be desired...
They're alright for beginners, but to me they seem oversized (they are made on an e-last), the leather feels cheap (it's like wearing mocassins almost); not to mention having the same hobnail issue as their (Sturm/ATF) jackboots, and without wood pegging (they're glued soles). I think ATF (source of the original boots) had the opportunity to make some good repros from these since the original are a very-real and uncommon nowadays to get shorter/version (m1942 i think) alternative to the m1937 and lengthier m1942 repros being sold, but with all their boots they took the cheap way out and somehow rationalise it by dumbing down new potential customers, and pointing out the photo comparisons, which doesn't mean much when the boots are made from the usual chinese scraps; in addition, i don't think many people can tell if a boot is shit just from looking at pictures, so at that point you have made an order and the feeling of regret sets in on your first day out donning them. But my rant on this over and all i have to say is there are much better boots out there, but these boots still may interest you if you like having junk in your collection here and there/once in a while like i do. :cry:

pzrwest

Postby pzrwest » 02 May 2009 02:29

TOTVERBAND what is that silver stuff on the soles of the boots paint or duck tape?

TOTVERBAND

Postby TOTVERBAND » 02 May 2009 02:30

I believe grigsby was mentioned once in here for lowboots. Well they are very durable, leather is thick, and they feel like a real boot, not like the costume quality atf boots. The only issue I found is the bumpy toe and lack of woodpegging.

aeros66

Postby aeros66 » 02 May 2009 03:35

Totverbande-

Thank you for sharing your pics and info on the boots (both jack and low). You have quite the shoe/ boot collection, it looks like! Reminds me of my own quest for the perfect vintage engineer boots....I think I'm up to about 7 pair by now :lol:

The details are definitely where it's at and if people are so anal about being "stitch nazis", their footwear definitely should be as correct as possible.

Brendan Hunt

Postby Brendan Hunt » 02 May 2009 04:41

I've been told that the "universal shark toe profile" is more of a reenactor-myth.
Brendan

Return to “Reenactment”