Who Makes the Best Lowboots?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
nihil

Re: Who Makes the Best Lowboots?

Post by nihil » 01 Nov 2009 16:21

Or that some people are better at taking care of their items between events, than others.

dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 » 03 Dec 2009 17:00

CTAPOCTA

Post by CTAPOCTA » 03 Dec 2009 23:26

Is there anything I can do to make leather on my low boots softer?

Brendan Hunt

Post by Brendan Hunt » 03 Dec 2009 23:30

Oil it of course
Brendan

Zoring

Post by Zoring » 04 Dec 2009 05:12

The best thing to really supple up leather is 'Leather Cream' i use a product i got at a saddle/boot shop called Bates Saddle Cream this company here http://www.batessaddles.com/ you won't need the exact brand probably but i have found nothing better for supplying up new leather.

It will leave a bit of a white residue the bits that dont soak up, but dont worry that will simply rub off also and leave you with a nice finish, you can do multiple coats and it really helps brand new stiff leather soaking in and softening the leather nicely.

ASHBDS

Post by ASHBDS » 04 Jan 2010 19:23

M42 LOWBOOT.jpg
GREETINGS,why not check this lowboots,

ASHISH

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 13 Jan 2010 05:52

Haven't posted much in a while, but i just recently got some new repro lowboots from HJ Berger. These are superb m37 blackened lowboots. It looks like the maker has gone through great lengths to copy the details of originals in terms of the number of wood pegs on the full and half sole, the branding/scraping that runs within and parallel to the pegging. this pair also has sole stitching, and also has steel taps and heel irons(not sure if they're original or repro, but they seem hard wearing from the wear i've put into them so far). the leather is also pretty thick, and the boots are heavier than many of the lower-end repros (similar weight to grigsby boots). the only issue i had is sizing since these boots are sz 45 and i was told they were sz 12 US(they're marked 46, but berger told me they were mismarked, but that's not the problem), and they fit more like an 11-11 1/2 especially if you have wide feet they feel a bit tight, but with any leather item they mold over time with usage. to remedy this it's better to order a sz up if your feet are wide or you will wear thick socks/footwraps.

to sum it up, these boots look great and can be considered one of the best repros out there. for those looking to affirm 'the best repro boots status' i will not say that they are better necessarily than LB boots, but rather that you get more for your money such as hobnails, toe taps, branding and thicker leather, but the models of the boots are different so some things such as cut of the boots cannot be compared.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 13 Jan 2010 06:13

continued-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TOTVERBAND on 13 Jan 2010 06:30, edited 2 times in total.
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

Dutch2770

Post by Dutch2770 » 13 Jan 2010 06:15

How much were the HJ boots and how do you get ahold of him ?

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 13 Jan 2010 06:19

continued-

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 13 Jan 2010 06:50

these are also m37 lowboots, but in natural brown color. (they're not the exact same pair that was posted above though).

anyone who buys from him should also automatically inquire about the possibility of marschstiefel even though he has reservations about this due to equipment costs for the calf/sole stichers. if he gets enough people hassling him about it then i'm pretty sure we'll see HJ marschstiefel in the future.

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 13 Jan 2010 07:00

continued-

soldat18

Post by soldat18 » 13 Jan 2010 17:21

Tot, does he sell the boots already blackened, or did you do it yourself? Also, how long did it take for you to receive them?

Brendan Hunt

Post by Brendan Hunt » 13 Jan 2010 18:21

I have a pair of these boots (unblackened) and they are fantastic. They fit perfectly. It took me a few weeks to get them but this is because Berger had many orders...14 if I recall correctly. I received them on November 10th and use them a lot for outdoor activities besides reenacting. From what I understand they are the most authentic reproductions on the market and the fact that these were hand made by a professional that pays close attention to historical detail is very satisfying. I've treated these boots with all sorts of things and they look like original boots now. I'm very excited to have a great fitting and authentic pair of footwear and would recommend anyone with a strong sense of authenticity, enough change, and enough time to contact H.G Berger.
Brendan

CTAPOCTA

Post by CTAPOCTA » 13 Jan 2010 21:50

They look exactly like mine from Zeugmeisterei.

Return to “Reenactment”