Who Makes the Best Lowboots?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
JurgenHaack

Re: Who Makes the Best Lowboots?

Postby JurgenHaack » 13 Jan 2010 21:54

How do you get in contact with HG Berger to get a pair of these boots??

TOTVERBAND

Postby TOTVERBAND » 14 Jan 2010 01:17

soldat18 wrote:Tot, does he sell the boots already blackened, or did you do it yourself? Also, how long did it take for you to receive them?

he sells them already blackened. He does charge more(don't know exactly how much more), but I got them for 200 euros since I bought two pairs.(Quantity discount perhaps) I paid in full around xmas and got them around Jan 8; however, he already had both boots in stock. Next run of boots should be due on mid Feb, so check if your sz is available.
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

JurgenHaack

Postby JurgenHaack » 14 Jan 2010 02:22

Here's Berger's info thanks to Brendan Hunt : janhb@t-online.de

TOTVERBAND

Postby TOTVERBAND » 14 Jan 2010 02:58

JurgenHaack wrote:How do you get in contact with HG Berger to get a pair of these boots??

Email inquiries to: janhb@t-online.de

Current Price: 200 euro

For those that order based on the info I provided please tell berger that andrew/totverband/totenkopfverband reffered you to him
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

Brendan Hunt

Postby Brendan Hunt » 16 Jan 2010 22:27

Here are my pair:

Brendan

TOTVERBAND

Postby TOTVERBAND » 20 Jan 2010 22:07

CTAPOCTA wrote:They look exactly like mine from Zeugmeisterei.

are you refering to JOKY lowboots (czech) that zm carried before he switched to the polish-made hero types?

they are differen't in terms of what looks like the cut: ankle height, leather type, and the soles as well.

TOTVERBAND

Postby TOTVERBAND » 20 Jan 2010 22:09

Brendan Hunt wrote:Here are my pair:

what did you use for dubbing? the toe looks nice and dark. i have so far only used snow-seal on both my pairs.

Brendan Hunt

Postby Brendan Hunt » 20 Jan 2010 22:33

I've used lots of stuff. Neatsfoot oil, sno seal, boot grease, mink oil, brown shoe polish / rubbing alcohol, clear shoe polish, etc. They are fantastic and are so comfortable.
Brendan

HGBerger

Postby HGBerger » 23 Jan 2010 09:10

Hello Fellows and thank you for the positive feedback.
Here some explanations:
The heel plates and hob nails are originals as are the wooden pegs!. The toe plates are in part originals some new. They are still made by the same firm that did it back then. The pegging is done with a period pegging machine. The sole stitching with a post war sole stitcher, seams on the upper are done on an 1907 made Singer saddler machine.
I have taken great care in copying the details I could discover on original boots. So you very often find two thicknesses of thread and differend numbers of stitches to the inch on originals. Usually the eyletbar reinforcement and rear strap are sewn on with thinner thread and small stitches while the vamp/quarter seams and the quarter reinforcement seams use a thicker thread and larger stitches. The shape of the sole and the heels was the next important feature as well as the shape of the lasts of course. Originals differed in small details depending on size and maker.
Other typical features are the stitching details of vamp and quarter, the "Fledermaus Staublasche" (bat tongue) and of course the number of hooks and eyelets. This type of shoes without the webbing loop in the rear was made from 1940 on and underwent some changes around 1943 as far as I could find out. Then the hooks were discontinued and usually the number of eyelets was reduced. There were two different types of hooks in use, the larger round ones I have and a more oval shape version. The latter is not avaialable any more although it seems that that was the more common version. At least if one can judge from surviving examples.
The leather used on the shoes is "Fahlleder" which is a vegetable tanned natural cow leather dipped in 60°C hot oil. This is the leather mentioned in the manuals. It is not chrome tanned! Rear straps and tongue are made of thin cow leather while the soles are made of oak tanned cow leather. The vamp is usually slightly thicker leather than the quarter as this was mentioned in the manuals as well. ( 3mm vamp; 2,5mm quarter)

I am starting a new run of shoes next week as I am waiting for new leather. It will take between 4-6 weeks to deliver the first shoes of this run because I have only limited time to work on them.
In case somebody wants to join in you may contact me at j.h.berger@lederarsenal.com.
I usually do not stock the shoes but rather make them to order so delivery times may vary. Keep in mind these are hand made in Germany by myself not mass produced in India or China. :wink:
Best regards
Jan H. Berger
J.H.Berger

Panzerbusche

Postby Panzerbusche » 23 Jan 2010 16:56

J.H.Berger, your boots really is a piece of art :)

Will you make a reproduction of the german model 1939 marschstiefel as well?

HGBerger

Postby HGBerger » 23 Jan 2010 18:16

Well I am thinking about it. It definetely would be a challenge but I would need another sole stitcher with a long horn( the one I have has a short horn and only works for shoes) and a calf stitcher. Both machiens especially the calf stitcher are extremely are and quite expensive. The calves need to be sewn with thick thread like the shoes as well. Most repros have thin thread on the calves as the normal shomaker repair machines can only take this thin thread.
Another point is that they will cost between 300 and 340 Euro so the number of orders will not be that large.
J.H.Berger

TOTVERBAND

Postby TOTVERBAND » 24 Jan 2010 06:48

i wonder if berger is also considering making m42 lowboots; they're the type atf and lostbattalions produce.

and like everyone else i hope to see berger-made marschstiefel in the future whether it be the typical m39, or the m36 and m42 marschstiefel models, or even the m1866 marschstiefel (side seamed).

HGBerger

Postby HGBerger » 24 Jan 2010 08:08

Well it is no problem to offer the later version with 8 eyelets. They just have a lower quarter and only eyelets, no hooks. Just inquire about them. I am going to make one pair in the next run anyway.
If I can find a long hornes sole stitcher and calf stitcher for an acceptable price I am in for making boots, it just challenges me;-))
J.H.Berger

Brendan Hunt

Postby Brendan Hunt » 24 Jan 2010 16:03

I've never heard these collector terms for jackboot variations. Can you enlighten me?

m1steelpot

Postby m1steelpot » 24 Jan 2010 18:14

Brendan Hunt wrote:I've never heard these collector terms for jackboot variations. Can you enlighten me?

The "M39" Jackboots were shorter than the earlier/pre war (M36?) Jackboots. Then tossed in the mix are the combat boots which were essentially lowboots with a high leather buckled cuff.
Take it easy~, ゆっくりしていってね!!!

Return to “Reenactment”