Who Makes the Best Lowboots?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
TOTVERBAND

Re: Who Makes the Best Lowboots?

Post by TOTVERBAND » 25 Jan 2010 03:23

there is also the rarely mentioned m42 model marschstiefel. i have posted photo-sets of 4 different examples of the m42 jacks (2 grigsby repros, the unissued original pair grigsby patterned his repros from, and another original issued pair) in the best jackboots thread.
i would also like to see repros of the winter boots and berger made DAK low/high boots in the future.

HGBerger

Post by HGBerger » 25 Jan 2010 14:03

Well DAK low boots might work. I know somebody who has an original pair.
J.H.Berger

CTAPOCTA

Post by CTAPOCTA » 27 Jan 2010 01:06

Have anyone had the same problem I did? After I got my lowboots from Zeugmeisterei I used Oil Dye (the one you can get from ATF) to dye them black. After that I used Leather Balm on the whole boot which (I belive) made the front part hard like a stone. On Leather Balm instruction says "don`t use it on porous leather". Could leather balm create this hardeness?

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 27 Jan 2010 01:22

CTAPOCTA wrote:Have anyone had the same problem I did? After I got my lowboots from Zeugmeisterei I used Oil Dye (the one you can get from ATF) to dye them black. After that I used Leather Balm on the whole boot which (I belive) made the front part hard like a stone. On Leather Balm instruction says "don`t use it on porous leather". Could leather balm create this hardeness?

are you talking about the zm polish made hero collection boots, or the JOKY-made boots he used to carry.

i've never attempted blackening my lowboots, so i couldn't help out, but i have used the ATF dye and balm kit with LB and postwar jackboots. if you have to make the boots soft again just apply some mink oil or snowseal. my polish-made lowboots tend to harden after long walks in the rain.
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

HGBerger

Post by HGBerger » 27 Jan 2010 22:26

It is normal that leather gets hard when it gets wet and dries out. It needs to be "fed " again, so grease it and polish it. When I dye my shoes with Fiebings Oil Lether Dye they become hard first but with wear and greasing you get them soft again.
J.H.Berger

DetnnoSound [3.PGD]

Post by DetnnoSound [3.PGD] » 16 Mar 2010 20:28

Well, gents, I just got my new Schürschuhe from HGBerger in the mail this morning. First thing I did after opening the box was head outside with my camera. So, without further ado (or treatment, or even lacing them up!) here they are:

I'd appreciate any feedback, as I'm far from an expert on this topic, but I can tell you that they feel very solidly made and fit like a glove! Thank you very much, HGBerger, for your masterful craftsmanship!

For those wondering, I placed the order at the beginning of December, so appx. 3 months. Not bad, considering I'd waited for a pair of Grigsbys for 9 months. When he wouldn't even return my calls, I canceled my order with him, and placed an order with HGBerger. Sure glad I did!

cpittman

Post by cpittman » 17 Mar 2010 14:27

Looks like a great pair of boots.

max1337

Post by max1337 » 17 Mar 2010 17:58

as a side note, the wait time from Jan really depends on if he has the inventory or not.
as for me he had my boots already in inventory so I got mine in a week.

I love mine, but I had somebody criticized my boots. However, everyone is entitled to their own cup of tea.

Daniel

Post by Daniel » 17 Mar 2010 18:40

HC Bergers ankle boots looks VERY good!

HGBerger

Post by HGBerger » 17 Mar 2010 19:06

Well thanks for the comments. Constructive criticism is always welcome. I will always try to improve. I would like to come as close to typical originals as possible.
Perhaps the Panzermuseum in Munster allows me to examine some of their collection.
J.H.Berger

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 26 May 2010 23:57

I will soon post the m42s berger made for me. Btw berger are we close to seeing marschstiefel from your production?
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

BPatronen

Post by BPatronen » 27 May 2010 00:55

Great looking boots!

Does HC Berger have a website to place an order?

Mike

HGBerger

Post by HGBerger » 27 May 2010 05:51

My homepage is www.lederarsenal.com.
However it is i progress of renewing so the WWII section will be added soon.
I will make Marschstiefel soon. Alas I do not have a sole stitcher with long horn yet so the will have pegged soles only.
I am working on it. I have detailed infos from an 1894 book where also the early M1866 Marschstiefel are described. So both WWI and WWII will be made. But this will still take a few months.
J.H.Berger

BPatronen

Post by BPatronen » 27 May 2010 13:15

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Mike

Erich Johann

Post by Erich Johann » 28 May 2010 14:34

HGBerger wrote:I will make Marschstiefel soon. Alas I do not have a sole stitcher with long horn yet so the will have pegged soles only.
I am working on it. I have detailed infos from an 1894 book where also the early M1866 Marschstiefel are described. So both WWI and WWII will be made. But this will still take a few months.
I like that info ...

Return to “Reenactment”