Italian Wool

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
dixiedrummer

Italian Wool

Post by dixiedrummer » 24 Nov 2010 00:55

Don't know if anyone can help, but I'm hunting for enough original Italian wool to make a feldbluse out of. Anybody?

landser32

Re: Italian Wool

Post by landser32 » 26 Nov 2010 22:55

Good luck, try settling for a Pirchen uniform from Hessen if that's the look you're shooting for.

dixiedrummer

Post by dixiedrummer » 26 Nov 2010 23:56

I think the new wool is too good a quality (Crazy Huh). I want some nasty, scratchy wool with wood bits, hair and the whole works. The search goes on.

sgtwilliesydow

Post by sgtwilliesydow » 28 Nov 2010 00:12

I just bought a few great Italian blankets from Swiss Link they might be the right color...Ill try to post a pic of one...

Willie

m1steelpot

Post by m1steelpot » 28 Nov 2010 00:18

sgtwilliesydow wrote:I just bought a few great Italian blankets from Swiss Link they might be the right color...Ill try to post a pic of one...

Willie
I wouldn't make a Feldbluse out of Blanket Wool. 8O

For as much as people knock "Swedish conversions" the wool has been a match for several original uniforms I have encountered. If you can find a HUGE Swede greatcoat, cut it up for the fabric, and have a Feldbluse built from that (that way it's not a "conversion," just using the wool) and a Feldbluse maker (I can only think of OTM in regards to who would do this) then BAM, mega Feldbluse.
Take it easy~, ゆっくりしていってね!!!

sgtwilliesydow

Post by sgtwilliesydow » 28 Nov 2010 01:07

20 + yrs ago in WW1 that all we had to make pants , we had one guys who did it and they were so good I still use them as my backup pants for ww 1 and ww 2 l.. I just thought it might help the guy looking for wool they measure 85x70 so they are good size and WARM :milsmile: :milwink:

cruff

Post by cruff » 03 Dec 2010 20:18

Yeah, an Italian Wool Blanket isn't the right color let alone the right weight and weave for a tunic. One might as well make a tunic from burlap or duct tape, it would be about as comfortable...
You might talk Pirschen or ANT-Z Militaria into selling some of their repro Italian wool. I have an M40 tunic made from the stuff and it looks quite good. I'd prefer to have a high rayon content in the wool used for repro German Military Clothing but it is something that we'll have to wait for!

The old converted, Swede tunics, if well done, were great! The Swede wool is very durable has a good hand and is suitable for Repro German Uniforms.

dixiedrummer

Post by dixiedrummer » 04 Dec 2010 01:26

Yeah, I may have to open my search to original german wool as well. I'm gonna be putting a lot of time and money into this project, so I want it to be the best I can. Repro wool just doesn't have the look and feel I'm going for.

sgtwilliesydow

Post by sgtwilliesydow » 04 Dec 2010 02:21

Has anyone tried to contact a weaver in Poland
Yrs ago I had wool made for P-40 Britishbattle dress and it was quite reasonable just an idea. Ican look
To see if I can find my contact over there

cruff

Post by cruff » 06 Dec 2010 18:41

Most vendors/dealers in repro uniforms are very proprietary about selling patterns, findings and fabric. I think that tracking down original, WWII era, unused goods and fabric would be very difficult at best. Best of luck to you!

Grabenkater

Post by Grabenkater » 07 Dec 2010 16:00

dixiedrummer wrote:Yeah, I may have to open my search to original german wool as well. I'm gonna be putting a lot of time and money into this project, so I want it to be the best I can. Repro wool just doesn't have the look and feel I'm going for.

Finding enough original wool is going to cost you several hundred dollars (maybe even $1k), even if you can find enough for a tunic. Your best option will be to buy enough Swedish overcoats and cannibalize enough material to make your tunic. Unless, you want to purchase several original German or Italian overcoats to butcher. WW2 period Swedish wool will probably be better quality wool than wartime German anyway :wink:

dixiedrummer

Post by dixiedrummer » 07 Dec 2010 22:25

I'm willing to pay for some original materials but if I can't find any than it looks as though swedish is the next option. I don't want really good wool, I want the nastiest, thinnest wool out there. That's why I wanted some original wool in the first place, because you can't replicate that poor of a quality wool.

Angus1235

Post by Angus1235 » 03 Jun 2018 19:25

Try searching for Swiss wool. It is a similar shade that can be dyed to match Italian ww2, and was made more or less exactly the same for long after the war, though I'm not sure if they were ever diluted by polyester/acrylic blends.

Alternatively, just buy a bunch of those cheap, ugly swiss postwar greatcoats and use them to make a tunic, they have a very generous cut and should do the triEDIT: Just realised this thread is 8 years old, whoops.
Searching for Truppenfahrrad parts: Torpedo coaster brake parts, Union-werke headlight, truppenfahrrad handlebars, Torpedo front wheel hub.

Return to “Reenactment”