The SS Room Mp40 is it worth it?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
alamein

Re: The SS Room Mp40 is it worth it?

Post by alamein » 12 Sep 2013, 17:45

I've had three of the SSR MP-40s over the last couple years. I would buy one, sell it to get something else, and then really miss it and buy another one. My first one ran ok, but the bakelite wasn't very solid. The bakelite scratched easily and had a light, flimsy feel. The guy I sold it to sent it in for upgrades and they replaced that.

The second one ran well and SSR had really improved the look/feel of the bakelite and other parts. The third one (the one I have now) runs well, but it really depends on the magazine. I've got about 10 mags... 3 or 4 run flawlwessly, 3 will run with some stoppages, and 2 have real trouble. I've got them marked so I can make sure to load up the good ones. I need to see if I can identify the differences between the good mags and the bad ones. I use to have a registered real one and made my own blanks for that. Adjusting to make blanks for the SSR BFONGs was easily done and I was able to configure the blanks to work best with mine.

In any case, its the mags that make or break the performance on mine, not the BFONG itself. I've thought about selling this one, but realize that the odds of being able to replace it someday are mighty slim.

To answer your question..... IMHO, yes they are worth it. I've had several class 3 sub-guns before and finally sold them. Too many restrictions and the fact that I didn't want to have that much money tied up in something that had such a limited use (I put it in vehicles instead). The SSR MPs give you the feel of a subgun for a lot less money, its not a firearm so there are a lot fewer restrictions on where you can take them (non-class 3 states). I always have a photo copy of the BATF letter with me just in case, but the fact that the blank is facing the shooter puts any concerned parties at ease.
No OP plan survives initial contact.

Schwen

Post by Schwen » 12 Sep 2013, 21:21

Al,

Did you ever get the Belgian Vigneron mags and remil the "flip side"?

I have like 10 of them now. They run 100% better than the SS Room mags did.

Also on the ammo, I used SS Rooms 9.3mm ones, & Altantic Walls 9.3's. They had some feed stoppages here & there. I recently switched to those Czech 9mm blanks & I went through 400+ rounds at Conneaut last month with ZERO misfires! (I did'nt believe it either). Not only are they way cheaper, they feed slick as all hell. Only bad thing is, you have to clean the bejesus out of your BFONG after, or they corrode bad.

Just a lil' "Trial & Error" report from your ole' pal Schwen :).

Also, I would definitely get another BFONG if I had the chance. A pain to get going, but a blast once you do. :milwink:

Tschuss' Alle!
H. Schwendemann
Uscha. u. Grpfhr
1.Komp 3.Zug 3.Gruppe
LSSAH

Tiefewasser39

Post by Tiefewasser39 » 05 Feb 2014, 04:06

Otto Schmidt,
Keep us updated on any resolution you receive in regards to the mp-40 Bfong from Sekela. I have been waiting over 2 1/2 years for mine from him and its the same story of his lack of communication. The sad thing is he is still telling people who are asking it will be just a few weeks to ship the product if they buy.

cnicoll123

Post by cnicoll123 » 11 Feb 2014, 18:56

Need to understand, the shipment of weapons, especially blank-firers is heavily policed. So expect some shipment and/or import regulatory laws (you know what i mean :? ).

Even here in the UK, getting a Bayonet or inert round shipped from Europe to the UK cannot be done, strict regulations- and i'm guessing the same is for the US- If not, i'd presume they're fairly laxed than ours, yet strict.

Hopefully the situation is resolved. :thumbsup:
Connor Nicoll

Grenadier C.Nikel
1st SS Panzer Division "LSSAH" 3.Kp

histcloth

Post by histcloth » 13 Feb 2014, 20:07

I would like to address this issue, and hopefully put some people's minds at ease. There seems to be growing concern about this.

I am NOT a snakeoil salesman; I have been making reproduction Civil War items since 1992, and I toook this project on because I think that it is a great resource for the hobby. It DEFINTELY dragged out more than I expected timewise. The next one is shipping in about 3 weeks; I can post images of the test firing.

I really don't know how else to make it up to the customers who have been inconvenienced. I certainly did NOT take the project on with the idea of ripping people off.

NJ Sekela

Satter

Post by Satter » 08 Jun 2014, 06:23

Jack-Boot,

I'm not sure if you, and others, are still looking to purchase a MP-40 BFONG. I recently bought one from Indianapolis Ordinance. The quality is superb. However, it is considerably more expensive than the ones NJ Sekela makes. IO only makes the receiver and barrel which will run you $2,000. You must provide MP-40 parts kit. I bought one for around $3,600 on gunbroker.com. Then you have to purchase real MP-40 magazines. I haven't found one for less than $100. I have 4, but only one works perfectly. This is not the fault of the BFONG itself though.

Since it's a forward firing replica the cleaning is very simple.

I've dealt with Jason at IO on two projects (PPSH-41 & MP-40 bfong) and he is completely professional. He sends updates on orders and takes all phone calls. Our next project will a MP-44 BFONG.

Btw, I also have a MP-40 BFONG made by SS Room. It jams up a lot. But my biggest disappoint is the folding stock. It no longer locks in place under the Bakelite stock and has fallen completely apart. My advice is if you really want a quality product with great customer service save your money and give IO a shot. No pun intended. :)

Artilleree

Post by Artilleree » 03 Jul 2014, 20:10

Satter,
I would be thrilled if you would post some pictures of your IO bfongs,or even a detailed review / field strip. I have been considering either the 41 or a pps 43 from them but I am very hesitant when i can only see their one stock photo.
I like to see details before i spend that kinda dough! Thanks!

Satter

Post by Satter » 05 Jul 2014, 12:41

Artilleree wrote:Satter,
I would be thrilled if you would post some pictures of your IO bfongs,or even a detailed review / field strip. I have been considering either the 41 or a pps 43 from them but I am very hesitant when i can only see their one stock photo.
I like to see details before i spend that kinda dough! Thanks!
I'll see what I can do. I use my phone to access the Internet, but I do love a challenge.

Real quickly I can tell you both are top quality. And just so you know, the pic of the PPSH 41 on Indianapolis Ordnance's website is the one he built for me. The pics don't do it justice. ;)

EDIT: Jason at Indianapolis Ordinance has posted a video of firing the PPSH 41 BFONG. The one he's firing is the one he made for me. I posted a link below. It'll be a few days before I can post a review. In the meantime please enjoy the video.

http://www.indianapolisordnance.com/vid ... PSH41BFONG

Artilleree

Post by Artilleree » 07 Jul 2014, 04:56

Thanks Satter, I think you'll be the first to do a review online, I've looked for one, on and off for awhile, But have not really found anything. I understand what you mean about the phone, I sometimes wonder if making technology as small as possible is really an improvement! :lol:

Ingsoc75

Post by Ingsoc75 » 26 Jul 2014, 14:51

I bought an Indianapolis Ordnance PPSH41 BFONG this week. Ordered it on Tuesday and got it on Thursday. Good build and quality. The tuning instructions could of been better described but I was able to figure it out and got to fire it yesterday.

dixiedrummer

Post by dixiedrummer » 26 Jul 2014, 22:09

Satter, you probably have an answer for this, but why did you spend 6k on a "fake" gun when you could have spent a little more for the real thing?

Ingsoc75

Post by Ingsoc75 » 27 Jul 2014, 19:08

I can post some photos of my IO PPSH41 BFONG if anybody is interested.

Artilleree

Post by Artilleree » 28 Jul 2014, 00:53

Go for it! Would love to see it, inside and out.

Ingsoc75

Post by Ingsoc75 » 01 Aug 2014, 14:27

Here are some photos of it yesterday. I will add some photos of the internals soon.

Artilleree

Post by Artilleree » 29 Sep 2014, 03:23

It looks great! Have you had a chance to try it at a few events yet?

Return to “Reenactment”