German Checkpoint Guard Shelter

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Rainer Schmidt

German Checkpoint Guard Shelter

Post by Rainer Schmidt » 17 Jun 2013, 03:36

In an attempt to liven up the German camp, I've always wanted to construct a checkpoint shelter, and barrier. It has to be sturdy, look good, but it had to be collapsible for transport in my truck (with the rest of the gear!).

The first picture is my rough sketches (fuelled by Scho-ka-kola, no less). The second shows the unit prior to paint and roof. The third shows the base coat on, and shingles on.

Let me know what you folks think. I'm sure that they didn't have asphalt shingles in the 40's, but it was the lightest option.

Couple more coats of paint (in red and black) and then I'll start on the barrier. The woman at the Home Hardware store asked me if I was making a Dog House. I told her she was close! Just a dry place for the Kettenhund.
Attachments
IMG_0185.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG

Simperator

Re: German Checkpoint Guard Shelter

Post by Simperator » 21 Jun 2013, 21:40

Hi,

I'm not qualified to place an opinion here, but I want to help you. Maybe this pic will show you more details of the structure and colour.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/WWII-German-RP-L ... HJG!E9nm3o)!uBRS6wkwSrw~~60_3.JPG

Regards,
Simon

Rainer Schmidt

Post by Rainer Schmidt » 22 Jun 2013, 05:31

Hello Simperator, thanks for your help, but the link does not work.

Is there something I am missing other than the fact that I haven't finished the peep-holes in the sides, and the paint? I was just posting this up as more of a show and tell. From my research, I think it's about as spot on as I can make it (Whilst still having it light, and collapsible).

Schwen

Post by Schwen » 26 Jun 2013, 05:40

Best of luck Rainer!

Actually, you read my mind! I think we have one floating around the LAH National somewhere. I'd like to build a collapsable one for those awesome "checkpoint" impressions as well.

Plz keep me updated on your "trial & errors" (hopefully more trials than errors hehe :milsmile: )

Tschuss!
H. Schwendemann
Uscha. u. Grpfhr
1.Komp 3.Zug 3.Gruppe
LSSAH

Rainer Schmidt

Post by Rainer Schmidt » 26 Jun 2013, 18:06

Helmut,

Shall do! Currently I'm waiting for this wet weather to clear. With a little luck, the last coat will go on, and I'll be able to compile what I've learned.

Thus far:
I've used five 2x4's (8 ft long), three 4x8 sheets of plywood (1/2" thick), a pack of shingles, 12x carriage bolts and nuts to assemble the structure, two large fence hinges and bolts to allow the roof to lie flat when disassembled.
-The front is 0.8 m wide, and 1.8 m high with 0.1 m on either side (0.6 m opening). The height of the edges are 2.0 m high and 2.25 m to the peak. The sides are 0.6ish (Half a 4'x8' piece of plywood) and 2.0 m high. The two roof halves are 0.6 m x 0.9 m (Use the wood cut from the door).
-Tremclad works well and is holding up in the weather but multiple coats will be needed for the edges and knots in the wood. (What I would have done differently is bevelled the edges so they were not visible on the sides of the shelter and the finish would look better)
-I did not extend the interior 2x4 braces up to the top of the shelter and it allows the wood to warp a bit more than I would like (This is corrected when the roof goes on, but it annoys me). The shelter stands 2.0 m high, but the braces only come up 1.8 m

Now, I know that the actual shelters with shingled with wood, and the construction of it used actual lumber and not plywood, but without a wood shop, and concerns about the weight, I really couldn't justify taking it to this level (Yet). I'm very happy with the dimensions, the strength, the portability, and the look in pictures.

Simperator

Post by Simperator » 27 Jun 2013, 12:29

Hello,

Sorry that didn't work, found a few others for you. They seem always to be built the same style.

http://www.ipernity.com/tag/57114/keyword/796430

http://imagehost.epier.com/19922/guard-house-0098.jpg

Regards,
Simon

Rainer Schmidt

Post by Rainer Schmidt » 27 Jun 2013, 16:55

Excellent resources, Simperator! I've seen some things that let me know I'm on the right track, as well as a few things that I could change or add.

From the look of it:
-The roof line that I selected is shown in one of the photos, with 2x4's angled into the sides of the shelter
-Some have baseboards, or edging running around the outside
-Some seem to be QUITE tall
-There are no shingles, which would complicate the water proofing of my roof (as it folds, there would be an opening at the top); however, there is one picture where the peak is protected by a strip of wood and would be easy to incorporate into the folding roof.
-As the originals were not made with plywood, I'm going to put vertical pin stripes in the paint so it will appear to be constructed this way. It'll help it appear correct without actually using the heavier wood option. Perhaps, on the next one I build, I will construct it with 1x6 lumber and plain it down a little thinner (Will have to do this when I'm back in my old man's town)

Thanks again!

Simperator

Post by Simperator » 28 Jun 2013, 15:53

You're welcome!

Schwen

Post by Schwen » 30 Jun 2013, 09:52

Much appreciated Rainer!!! Hope your guards will be safe und warm! :P

Vielen Dank for the specs!
H. Schwendemann
Uscha. u. Grpfhr
1.Komp 3.Zug 3.Gruppe
LSSAH

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 06 Jul 2013, 21:51

I have some original photos on my site of this, if you're interested, I can search for them. Quick criticism- it's too tall and too narrow, for the styles I've seen. You also should have the side peep holes. Neat project!
Member of Kampfgruppe Haase, reenacting WW2 History for over 30 years: http://www.soldaten.ca

Rainer Schmidt

Post by Rainer Schmidt » 08 Jul 2013, 21:00

Hello Drew,

Would appreciate the photos.

Thanks for the criticism. It might be the perspective in my photos, I'm not sure. From what I've seen, it might be too short as some openings look like they were designed to allow the rifle to remain on the guard's shoulders.

Also, yes, peepholes are coming. I hadn't put them in yet.

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 10 Jul 2013, 03:12

Will dig them up for you. hold tight.
Member of Kampfgruppe Haase, reenacting WW2 History for over 30 years: http://www.soldaten.ca

Michael Dorosh

Post by Michael Dorosh » 12 May 2017, 23:20

How did it turn out?

:D

Rainer Schmidt

Post by Rainer Schmidt » 14 May 2017, 06:13

Pop over to Auch's, Mike, it's leaning against his wall ;)

Michael Dorosh

Post by Michael Dorosh » 14 May 2017, 06:15

Maybe need to convince him to bring it to the FSSF weekend next week...

Return to “Reenactment”