Hair pomade.

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
S.Steiner

Hair pomade.

Post by S.Steiner » 23 Mar 2016, 19:21

Hello!
:)
Do you guys carry hair pomade on events?
If so. How?

Regards.
Svein

Sejanus

Re: Hair pomade.

Post by Sejanus » 27 Mar 2016, 02:50

S.Steiner wrote:Hello!
If so. How?

Regards.
Svein
I have never reenacted but I have been to plenty of events here in the states as a photographer. And while I do not know if reenacting is done any differently in Europe, I have never seen anyone with hair pomade at events over here. Was that sort of thing even worn in combat?

S.Steiner

Post by S.Steiner » 28 Mar 2016, 00:12

Sejanus.
Well... I guess it's the same here in Europe.

I found an older post saying that hair tonic with grease works out fine.
Hair products depended on social class.

Need to buy a personal equipment book ;)

Sejanus

Post by Sejanus » 28 Mar 2016, 02:11

S.Steiner wrote:Sejanus.

Excellent that you have such an interest in authenticity. :milsmile:

I came up with a few ideas after all... If you want to carry pomade you might try finding an old/antique container to use that it was originally sold in, or issued in, back during the war. Another option may be to use a Bakelite jar that was German issue for the butter & fat rations, this reproduction for example (I do not know if this practice was done during the war though, it is only an idea):

http://www.continentalmilitaria.com/zbo ... -in-orange

Or you might buy some pomade in a tin or metal container and strip off the labeling so it will not look modern. Also, this German reenactment web site states that the "Royal Crown" brand originated in the 1930's, is still being made and that it is "super authentic":

http://www.dererstezug.com/GermanHaircut.htm

I do not know what country Royal Crown originates from but it sounds English. If so, one might say that they were part of the "captured supplies" from retreating British units and distributed to the troops, which is why you have some. :milwink:

If your reenactment unit uses barracks/Kasernen (as do some in the States being allowed to use US military installations) during events, having pomade I think would certainly be appropriate for a "barracks impression" of personal items kept in one's locker, etc. Some units also even go so far as to have social events (dinners, dances) in their uniforms, which would be an excellent place to wear pomade.

shamirnewell

Post by shamirnewell » 28 Mar 2016, 02:59

If so. How?

Regards.
Svein

This thread might be of help:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... hilit=Hair

S.Steiner

Post by S.Steiner » 28 Mar 2016, 14:33

Sejanus wrote:

I came up with a few ideas after all... If you want to carry pomade you might try finding an old/antique container to use that it was originally sold in, or issued in, back during the war. Another option may be to use a Bakelite jar that was German issue for the butter & fat rations, this reproduction for example (I do not know if this practice was done during the war though, it is only an idea):

Or you might buy some pomade in a tin or metal container and strip off the labeling so it will not look modern. Also, this German reenactment web site states that the "Royal Crown" brand originated in the 1930's, is still being made and that it is "super authentic":

I do not know what country Royal Crown originates from but it sounds English. If so, one might say that they were part of the "captured supplies" from retreating British units and distributed to the troops, which is why you have some. :milwink:

If your reenactment unit uses barracks/Kasernen (as do some in the States being allowed to use US military installations) during events, having pomade I think would certainly be appropriate for a "barracks impression" of personal items kept in one's locker, etc. Some units also even go so far as to have social events (dinners, dances) in their uniforms, which would be an excellent place to wear pomade.
¨
All suggestions sounds good! :) (Been searching for pomade that can be somewhat correct)
This is the fun part of reenacting... The little things such, as personal items.
Last event we had, we were put up in a fortress ;)

I know reenactors carries everything from lard to coffee in their ''butterdish''. That or a metal container could work out fine ;)

Thank's for taking your time to reply on this post! :)

S.Steiner

Post by S.Steiner » 28 Mar 2016, 14:34

shamirnewell wrote:
If so. How?

Regards.
Svein

This thread might be of help:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... hilit=Hair
Thank you! :)

Sejanus

Post by Sejanus » 29 Mar 2016, 02:03

S.Steiner wrote:
Sejanus wrote:

¨
All suggestions sounds good! :) (Been searching for pomade that can be somewhat correct)
This is the fun part of reenacting... The little things such, as personal items.
Last event we had, we were put up in a fortress ;)

I know reenactors carries everything from lard to coffee in their ''butterdish''. That or a metal container could work out fine ;)

Thank's for taking your time to reply on this post! :)
You are most welcome! And being put up in a fortress, that sounds very impressive!

Return to “Reenactment”