What uniform is this, type etc.

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
PanzerVandalleideli

What uniform is this, type etc.

Post by PanzerVandalleideli » 02 Dec 2018 12:22

Any help would be great. but also, what rank would an SS platoon leader be? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sejanus

Re: What uniform is this, type etc.

Post by Sejanus » 02 Dec 2018 14:00

Is no one wearing SS uniforms in Heaven, where you are? Hmm. :milwink:

The subject in the foreground is wearing a reproduction camouflage Waffen-SS smock & helmet cover; smocks were designed to fit over a tunic. Looks like he is wearing a greatcoat under that.

Hard to tell but the subject on the left might be wearing a camo parka, is that a hood attached? SS smocks were not hooded.

Subject on the right is wearing a tunic but I cannot tell what type. Maybe an M-40? You can search this site and/or Google search "SS M-40 Tunic" and "SS Camo" for more info.

A platoon leader is a Zugführer, which is a positional title that could be held by different ranks, generally junior officers I believe.

:welcome:

PanzerVandalleideli

Post by PanzerVandalleideli » 02 Dec 2018 15:04

Thank you!

I’m currently making a role play based on an SS platoon in Belarus. my character is an obersturmführer, and platoon leader within the SS leibstandarte infantry regiments. is that a correct rank?

So the camo on all uniforms are applied over the classic ones we see? they seem a tight fit. how were they applied?

All the best.

Sejanus

Post by Sejanus » 02 Dec 2018 17:59

I think that rank would be correct, but you may want to wait for other opinions just to be sure; it has been some time since I looked into the Waffen-SS.

Camo smocks were applied over uniform tunics until the end of the war; they were a pullover that slipped on right over the tunic. They were cut oversized so they could fit over a tunic. There was also another camo pattern (not seen in your image) produced in both tunics and trousers called called Dot 44; in theory these would have make camo smocks obsolete but the smocks still continued to be worn.

The Waffen-SS also used many different camo patterns (even surplus Italian stocks made into tunics & trousers) however I am sticking to generalities here.

Something you may want to keep in mind is that your image comes from a postwar movie still. So unless one knows better a source like that might not be completely reliable.

Good luck & hope this helps.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 02 Dec 2018 22:10

Hello,

Late in the war the Platoon leader of the first platoon was a Stellengruppe "Z" soldier which is a Ober- or Untersturmführer while the other platoons were lead by Oberschar- or Hauptscharführer.
Keep in mind that in times of heavy combat it was usual that lower Stellengruppen were used to fill These leader gaps so very much was possble and realistic.

/Christoph

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 03 Dec 2018 07:43

Waffen-SS Oak Leaf Autumn Camouflage
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Return to “Reenactment”