Show us your reenactment photos!

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Leibstandarte_reenactor

Post by Leibstandarte_reenactor » 25 Jul 2003, 03:22

Cammo pants =FARB waffen SS had "pea dot late war.
ANYWAY
I HAVE A KILLER IMPRESSION I JUST HAV NO WAY OF HOSTING PICS

Von_Mannteufel

Post by Von_Mannteufel » 25 Jul 2003, 07:29

What tank was that one they converted into that Jagdpanzer?

The Mighty Sisto

Post by The Mighty Sisto » 25 Jul 2003, 07:40

Mak Los Mien Schnitzel, is that you?? You're SOOOO CUTENESS!!! :D :D :D

*The Mighty Sisto*

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 25 Jul 2003, 13:32

For those of you who are not keen on reenacting, when someone shows up with a chessy impression (wearing a wristwatch with a civil war outfit, or anything that does not match the time period of your impression) you are labeled a FARB.

Not sure where the term started but everyone uses it.

Champymiddle
Banned

Post by Champymiddle » 25 Jul 2003, 15:57

Are there any waffen ss second battle group reenactors in this forum?

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 25 Jul 2003, 16:02

I have a question for reenactors here.

In the "battle", how do you know, who got hit, who is KIA, who is wounded,...?

It's much easier by PAINTBALL!

Siegfried Wilhelm
Location: Kleinkleckersdorf, NC, Confederate States of America

Post by Siegfried Wilhelm » 25 Jul 2003, 17:36

Wish I had scanning capabilities as I have some killer photos.

To answer Kocjo's question; Reenacting on the serious level is more about tactical advantage than 'shooting' people. Sure, if someone really has you in their sights and you know it...it's time to go, and be theatrical about it. But the main thing is really the tactics involved not the "bang bang, you're dead" kind of thing that kids do. If a unit gets really flanked they must withdraw or at least give ground. If a unit wants to move somewhere, but it is in an enemy field of fire, they just can't go there and must find another way.
Just as the term 'farb' was discribed as someone who looks unauthentic, it is equally applied to those who don't react correctly to the opposing force.
It has never been so important that a reenactor 'soldier' falls down and 'plays dead' as it is for the 'soldiers' to just react to the fire by going to ground, retreating, assaulting with superior numbers, or some such action that would represent the reactions of real soldiers in a somwhat similar situation.
Reenacting is very much like theater; where the audience and the actors are the same folks...we act our roles to each other. However time is very speeded up and space is very compressed, the 'fighting' is at rediculously close range, more often at 30 meters rather than 300. What happens in a typical reenactment, within the space of a mile or so, on a single afternoon, might have taken the real soldiers a week and 30 miles to do.

Reenacting can be a lot of fun--and quite often very insightful. One learns a lot about how the equipment was handled--often when later reading about some experience a reenactor says; 'yeah, I know just what he's talking about'. It does make one just a tiny bit 'closer' to those we read about.
When coming out of a good war movie you often have that neat 'excited' feeling. Well, from a good reenactment that same feeling is magified many times.

Mak Los Mien Schnitzel

Post by Mak Los Mien Schnitzel » 25 Jul 2003, 21:45

Caldric wrote:Umm I am pretty sure the "Asian Guy" is none other then our forum comrade Mak Los Mien Schnitzel.
Hee Hee...no offense taken. Thanks for your comments guys, I live on the opposite side of the atlantic to you so my comments will be always late but hopefully enlightened!

I guess any chinese guy who wants to "be german" would be sorta looked at strangely and I got plenty of that @ the "War and Peace" show :). If anyone's interested, the story I refer to is the one of the Korean blokes fighting @ the normandy beaches for the Germans or the Thailandese guys fighting with the 29th Panzer Grenadier Division. Hell! if Americans can reenact as Germans, a malaysian guy (me) can reenact as a Thai! :D

This is an interesting site for that little known part of history:
http://www.geocities.com/alvinlee_81/WarPics1.html

Sisto, yes, thats me...at last? I must have a fan club :D

Von_Mannteufel: That Jagdpanther I believe was a t55 conversion, well at least that's what they said over the Tanoy 10 feet away...boy that thing was loud ... (tank and tanoy!)

Dan w: Very very well spotted about the cargos, will answer that in a minute...did you spot the 2 way radio as well? (its next to the water bottle in the first pic)

Dunkirchen1940: If you don't mind me saying...your dad does a fantastic "death" impersonation. I thought that picture was the real thing taken by some soviet!

As for reenactment, I think Siegfred explained it better than I could. I personally do an airsoft flavour of reenactment, ie BB guns which are replicas of K98s, Stens, Garands, Mp40s, Mp42s. We also have BB grenades, normal smoke, flashbangs and mortars.

This is a guaranteed way of knowing you are hit because at short range, you feel the hit or hear the noise on your helmet of the plastic BB striking you. And, if you're unlucky, pain sometimes helps you to register that hit too!

As Siegfried says though, the honor system comes into it as well. We are having a WW2 day in late September and so far there are about 20 of us with roughly 50% split allies vs axis. We want to make it accessible so we've relaxed the dress code slightly. Things, like pockets on splinter camo trousers, for instance are allowed. As this is the first even of its kind (as far as I know) the aim is to have fun and get as many people into it as we can.

You guys interested in any pics from airsoft too then?

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 25 Jul 2003, 21:49

Remember, there are two types of reenactments:

The first one is often referred to as Living History, this is a battle done for an audience of people. No one is keeping track of who does what once the battle begins, although the outcome has been determined and if you are still standing at the end you are taken prisoner. When you go to the trouble to buy your kit you can bet you know enough to fall down and play the role of a casualty now and then.

Then, there are tactical reenactments. These have referees, and take place where there are no spectators. These reenactments are designed for authenticity. Uniform standards are usually more strict (your impression must match that theater and that particular battle) and the goal of these is realism (sometimes referred to as period rush)

Also, a unit can "gel" in thse types of battles and you can also get a better feeling for what it may have been like than with 1500 people lined up watching.

Mak Los Mien Schnitzel

More War and Peace Pics

Post by Mak Los Mien Schnitzel » 25 Jul 2003, 22:06

As peeps seem to like the panzers, here are some more...all I believe were made for film work.

The tiger is from SPR and the Stug is from the "Carentan" episode of BoB. It is made from a British "Abbot" Self propelled gun with an extra running wheel.

The reenactors are from "2nd Battle Group" who also did film work for the above movies and A.F.R.A, aka "Der Windhund". Both are british reenacting societies.
Attachments
tiger.jpg
tiger.jpg (153.79 KiB) Viewed 11509 times
sdkfz220.jpg
sdkfz220.jpg (111.71 KiB) Viewed 11503 times
Stug.jpg
Stug.jpg (118.8 KiB) Viewed 11508 times

Mak Los Mien Schnitzel

Post by Mak Los Mien Schnitzel » 25 Jul 2003, 22:13

Leibstandarte_reenactor wrote:Cammo pants =FARB waffen SS had "pea dot late war.
ANYWAY
I HAVE A KILLER IMPRESSION I JUST HAV NO WAY OF HOSTING PICS
Errr...if you are referring to me, I am not Waffen SS, I am Wehrmacht. camo was not common but it did exist. If any of you have the book, I refer to "German Army Uniforms and insignia 1933-1945" by Davis. Check page 173, photo 312.

Ernest

Post by Ernest » 26 Jul 2003, 03:58

Wow... forget the asian guy... look what is in the background. Hey that isn't one of the inflatable tanks is it??? That is really nice -- okay, okay and so is the asian dude -- he's kool too. Any more pics of the KOOL tank? Cheers, Ernest

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 26 Jul 2003, 04:24

Mak Los Mien Schnitzel wrote:Boy I really wanted to ride on that!
How much time did they spent converting T-55 into JP ?:)

Champymiddle
Banned

Post by Champymiddle » 26 Jul 2003, 06:06

I was wondering how one can attain an officers rank during reenactments

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 26 Jul 2003, 07:30

Thanks fro the inof on reenacting!

Regards,
Kocjo

Return to “Reenactment”